aliens

Author Topic: How did you find this project?  (Read 9668 times)

Offline michal

• Commander
    • View Profile
How did you find this project?
« on: May 26, 2010, 05:49:18 pm »
Hello,

Let's share information, how we've found this project. Let me start ;)

I've found this project by accident on sf. I was looking for x-com project and found this project 2 days after start :) Couple of months later i've talked with supsuper about creating website for it. That's how this page started ;)

Offline luciderous

• Colonel
  • There is no spoon...
    • View Profile
Re: How did you find this project?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 11:05:56 pm »
I've found it simply by reading the news through RSS - https://ufotts.ninex.info/index.php/2010/05/ninex-the-x-com-central/
Thank you guys for letting us know.

Offline Kaidane

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 12:37:19 am »
I found it on a Wikipedia article (this one in particular).

Offline Keybounce

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 07:45:38 pm »
I found it from UfoAi's forums. A
Actually, they had a link to another XCom remake -- a closed source, windows-only remake. From there, I found this one.

Ya know, with all the love of Xcom, ya think someone would make a "dos-mode" bugfix release, combined with a preset/customized emulator, that could be easily installed on any modern system. We see that in video games all the time, so ...

(I know, it can be done manually. I've done that myself. But it's time consuming, error prone, and learning the proper way to use the two different programs that patch xcom -- and one apparently only patches the window's version -- is a very high bar of entry).

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 01:01:56 pm »
Thanks for the feedback, hope everyone keeps spreading the word. ;)

Ya know, with all the love of Xcom, ya think someone would make a "dos-mode" bugfix release, combined with a preset/customized emulator, that could be easily installed on any modern system. We see that in video games all the time, so ...

(I know, it can be done manually. I've done that myself. But it's time consuming, error prone, and learning the proper way to use the two different programs that patch xcom -- and one apparently only patches the window's version -- is a very high bar of entry).
Well the Xcom Windows version is pretty much a custom-built emulator wrapped around the original, and it's even more bug-prone, so it's probably not as easy as it seems. :)

Plus without the original code, all people can do is keep poking at the original executables from the outside in an attempt to find and fix the bugs, a challenge on its own, so they probably can't focus much on making it completely user-friendly. But hopefully projects like this will change that.

Offline Foxie

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 07:58:11 pm »
I discovered it through the UFO: Two Sides project. (https://ufotts.ninex.info/)

Which I again discovered when I was googling for various X-Com mods/patches.

battlesquid

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 10:50:22 pm »
I found it via https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ufo_defense#Fan_projects
when actually looking around if there had been started any online squad based game projects. Then I shifted focus as I saw the words xcom and open together which is like music in my ears  8)

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 06:38:15 pm »
Hi, I found this project because I wanted to put my UFO xcom remake sourcode also open for public under the projectname OpenXCom :)
The funny thing is, I got most of the battlescape stuff done, but have nothing on the geoscape side. (The battlescape starts just by loading a battlescape savegame)
I've now downloaded your geoscape code, and I'm looking if I can combine both in one project... it will not be so easy because I did not use GPL but a game engine called Irrlicht, so there's some conversion to do... I don't know if it even will ever work, but it's worth the try.

Best regards,
Daiky
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 06:41:10 pm by Daiky »

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 02:16:50 am »
Hi, I found this project because I wanted to put my UFO xcom remake sourcode also open for public under the projectname OpenXCom :)
The funny thing is, I got most of the battlescape stuff done, but have nothing on the geoscape side. (The battlescape starts just by loading a battlescape savegame)
I've now downloaded your geoscape code, and I'm looking if I can combine both in one project... it will not be so easy because I did not use GPL but a game engine called Irrlicht, so there's some conversion to do... I don't know if it even will ever work, but it's worth the try.

Best regards,
Daiky
Let me know if you need help. You'd probably have to redo the globe implementation from scratch for a 3D engine, but all the game logic should be sound.

Offline Kloqus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 08:56:42 pm »
... by reading an archive of usenet/newsgroup pl.rec.gry.komputerowe.klasyka (in English PoLish.RECreation.games.computer.classic).