Author Topic: DELAYING/STOPPING ALIEN MISSIONS  (Read 3642 times)

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
DELAYING/STOPPING ALIEN MISSIONS
« on: May 25, 2016, 10:06:58 pm »
In my current game of hardmode I'm more inclined to follow a ufo and let it land rather than shoot it down but and this might seem like a novice question. I know shooting down a ufo can delay/stop that particular mission but if you let it land, even though you do the land site, does that particular alien mission proceed to the next wave as the aliens will have successfully landed for at least some time before you wipe them out?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: DELAYING/STOPPING ALIEN MISSIONS
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 11:25:03 pm »
In my current game of hardmode I'm more inclined to follow a ufo and let it land rather than shoot it down but and this might seem like a novice question. I know shooting down a ufo can delay/stop that particular mission but if you let it land, even though you do the land site, does that particular alien mission proceed to the next wave as the aliens will have successfully landed for at least some time before you wipe them out?

The comments on the code regarding the delay say:
This function is called when one of the mission's UFOs is shot down (crashed or destroyed).

This in relation with the spawnCountdown setting, which determines when the next UFO is generated.

I didn't find no mention about a successful assault on landed UFO delaying the next wave (but it may be somewhere else in the code, devs are the ultimate authority on this). If you consider it, shooting down a UFO gets the benefit of delaying the next wave (but if you assault it the loot will be less than a landed UFO), while assaulting a landed UFO gets the loot benefit but not the delay. One of them kinda balances the other.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 09:08:23 am »
I would be careful to shoot down UFO's, because in Hardmode most of them shoot back.

I usually tend to stick with landed UFO's to have more loot, but if i need more money, i shoot down some ships of the alien in a region to attract retaliation missions on purpose to get some more money and some more exp for the soldiers.

As Hobbes already said it is balanced out, shooting down delays next wave, assault landed one, get more loot.

Also SIMON, you really need to get Laser Weapons in your playthrough ASAP since your next month is probably my totally loved Muton Month. Also you need to get global radar coverage. Once you interrogate engineers and navigators alien missions will increase, so you better get some more soldiers and skyrangers also. And sell the alien loot, do not sell Blaster Bombs or Blaster Launchers, because they are only available through collecting from aliens.

Offline humbe

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 02:21:02 pm »
... Once you interrogate engineers and navigators alien missions will increase, ...

Is this true? I thought activity came by the calendar and difficulty level and I need to expand quickly to cope..

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 02:24:50 pm »
Is this true? I thought activity came by the calendar and difficulty level and I need to expand quickly to cope..

They talk about a mod, not vanilla.

Offline humbe

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 02:40:25 pm »
Yeah, but wasnt obvious if that was made by mod or not. But I'll interpret it as it likely is 😁