aliens

Author Topic: Hideout Defense  (Read 15231 times)

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Hideout Defense
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2019, 11:06:06 am »
And as is explained in raider subcontracting the factions are not above using deniable assets to get stuff done. Also for them there is probably not much of a difference between actual raiders , spartans and other assorted riffraff.

Offline Dakkdakk

• Colonel
  • Dirty, dangerous, and kinda sexy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2019, 10:04:08 pm »
Kinda unrelated, but to me raider/spartan/humanist crackdowns are pretty damn rare, while ratmen, nurses, dark ones and mercs are somewhat common. I dont think I've ever had a legit "mid game" crackdown, its always either trash or straight up mercs or dark ones with plasma and hell barons knocking on my doors. I dont think I've ever got a crackdown from the church, either.

I also retract my previous statement regarding the behavior of crackdown enemies. In the current version ratmen did disperse into my hideout, though I didn't really use a chokepoint in that base. It was two barracks connected to a hangar which then connects to the access lift. The enemies got into the hangar and then went for the corridors. One even climbed through the vents and got one of my gals from behind ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 10:15:37 pm by Dakkdakk »

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2019, 11:47:00 pm »
I lost a badly defended base to the church myself.

Offline wolfreal

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2019, 05:43:02 pm »
I really hate church.... and there is a reason for that. Crysalids.

Offline Abyss

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2019, 05:33:52 pm »
Again it seems like you havent played in a while, OXC lately changed their behaviour to actively seek and destroy base key tiles.

It is deserved to have variety in that type of mission as it is a major part of the game, if not the largest one.

Had like 20 crackdowns in the latest version, most from the major fractions.
They do not tend to destroy keytiles. They pretty much move to the loctions and stay there facing the same direction all the time.

What could be suggested:
- suicide squads loaded with HE, that move to the keytiles and activate BOOM (robots or fanatics for different fractions)
- was mentioned and accused false: but still no single blaster launch made by enemy in the whole compaign.
- earlygame: the fractions are curious who are piratez and send the medium-equipped  shturm-squads with native weaponry;
- midgame: as it is right now;
- lategame: the crackdown's major function is to undermine or squelch the Player's progress, making him lose funds, and not the constant supply of the plasma weapon parts.
With that, it is seen purposeful to start alter the strategy from gals-killing to base destroy and replace weak weapons with mostly HE ones (plasma scorcher, hellerium rockets launcher, blaster launcher, HWP with HE etc.), multiple HWP, mostly heavily armored units.
- There should be some strategy that AI can implement to prevent the corner-abuse, i.e.: if the player's unit spotted (reaction fire made once) in the previous turn, HE launch to the reachable place 2-3 tiles away from the spotted unit is made.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 05:37:12 pm by Abyss »

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2019, 09:56:34 pm »
I think Xenonauts did something like that (in beta?) and players hated it with a passion.

Offline Dakkdakk

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2019, 10:14:54 pm »
Xenonauts was such a strange experience. At first it felt like xcom but better and with more stuff, but ended up feeling like with better graphics and more frustation as the game advanced.

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2019, 10:21:03 pm »
Yeah, I never finished it. It felt somehow half-done and clunky.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2019, 01:07:01 am »
Xenonauts kinda suffered from its early access phase. The devs catered perhaps a little to much, to too many, highly vocal community members. To many cooks spoil the soup sorta thing.

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2019, 01:27:53 am »
I've mentioned this before, Xenonauts' late game was such a slog.  Imagine if, in UFO Defense, the only UFOs to appear after a year or two were nothing but battleships.  What makes perfect sense storywise doesn't translate well into balanced gameplay.

Offline sanyaskillpro

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2019, 03:09:36 am »
Well there's a global mod that makes it more fun, but it probably takes as long to beat as piratez, if not longer.

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2019, 12:22:05 pm »
I once siugested that by the very late game enemies do not bother breaching into hideout, they just drop in a massive bunker buster (highest damaeg OXCE can handle, larges explosion radius OXCE can handle) that automatically goes off in the first turn, so you have to shoot down the ship that carriers it as there’s not really a hideous defense.

Offline Dakkdakk

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2019, 06:29:04 pm »
I once siugested that by the very late game enemies do not bother breaching into hideout, they just drop in a massive bunker buster (highest damaeg OXCE can handle, larges explosion radius OXCE can handle) that automatically goes off in the first turn, so you have to shoot down the ship that carriers it as there’s not really a hideous defense.

My opinion on this is pretty much this:

What makes perfect sense storywise doesn't translate well into balanced gameplay.

You'd turn one of the more significant aspects of gameplay into a binary deal that way. You either intercept the ship or you lose the base.

I like to think that the reason the major factions don't want to completely ruin your main base is because they've been searching for it themselves. Think about it, a base full of very important pre-war tech that was developed without any of the limitations currently imposed on human tech by the star gods has got to be valuable to several different parties.

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2019, 06:35:13 pm »
You can get raided by Star Gods early and if that happens, it is a game over too.

Offline Abyss

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2019, 08:53:55 pm »
I like to think that the reason the major factions don't want to completely ruin your main base is because they've been searching for it themselves.

This makes a lot of sense. Thank you for the suggestion. But it seems that majors don't have any problems with high tech, both in weaponry and in armor. The minors are indeed may look for the tech.

Also: search for hideout and basic reconnaissance assaults seem to be natural withing first 1-2 events for the each fraction, whereas some different strategy should be involved right after.