Author Topic: Need a bit of help with this mod  (Read 3050 times)

Offline TheDeparted

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Need a bit of help with this mod
« on: January 20, 2019, 04:59:19 pm »
Hello!

I was wondering if some of the more technically-minded people out here could help re-create WarBoys great mod into openxcomplusextended.

Please see below the wonderful features WarBoy had in mind when he designed this gem for the early versions of OpenXcom. I know for some of you this may be a trivial task, but, alas, I was unable to create a single, coherent mod file. I would be very grateful if anyone could help me out.

Current feature list:

http://openxcommods.weebly.com/download.html

tank shells will now cause small explosions
training facility added - slowly increases soldier's stats, using the same formula as apocalypse
medical bay added - decreases wounded soldier convalescence time
researchable disruptor and gauss cannons for hovertanks and crafts
combat armor added, purchasable from buy interface
power armour replaced with re-coloured TFTD ion armour
flying armour helmet graphics altered
incendiary grenades
stun grenades
flashbangs - explode immediately, no priming, reduces reactions, accuracy and detection radius for 2-3 turns
terror missions at military bases (new map type) with military personnel (new unit type) with flashbangs and all mundane weapon types available
soldiers, if issued with pistols, will grab a melee weapon in their left hand, if one is available
added police, they will show up as local law enforcement on terror missions and actually fight aliens

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
Re: Need a bit of help with this mod
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 05:14:08 pm »
Have you tried the X-Com Files mod? It has pretty much everything you just described. If nothing else, you can find ruleset examples for these features there.

Offline TheDeparted

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 08:54:15 pm »
I did, and it's a great mod! However, I have not exhausted the "vanilla" (or almost vanilla) version. This mod, combined with Reaver's Rebalanced, would be great starting point for a beginner.

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 09:46:32 am »
The_Funktasm has got some of these features working in his mod. In particular, I know his tanks are using explosive munitions like in Warboy's mod. Perhaps you can sample code from his mod into any mod you're making.

The_Funktasm's Crap-U-Copia//TF-XTremeMeasures

Moriarty also did work on power armor helmets, both in making them symmetrical and in the soldiers having their helmet off in the equip screen. I don't know where to find the mods these days, so you'll have to find them yourself.

Check out the Gauss Weapons mod for Gauss Weapons in UFO Defense. I have never used the mod and have no idea how it is.

The rest of this stuff is all available here and there in other mods. I've seen it all in X-Com Files, Final Mod Pack, Area 51, and X-Piratez.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 09:53:44 am by The Reaver of Darkness »

Offline TheDeparted

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 05:47:28 pm »
Thank you, Reaver, much obliged.

Alas, I did try to sample code from the mods you indicated, but my technical (or intellectual?) skills are waaaay subpar, and I failed to get it all together in one single mod.

I do hope the real moders will find the wonderful resources you indicated to be useful in their work.

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 08:49:53 am »
The trick to getting your mod to work is by copying the style of existing mods. One of the easiest ways to do this is actually to take an existing mod and remove the declarative parts you don't want, until all that remains is the declarative portions you want plus the base mod data. Anything you can't figure out what it is, leave it in. I assembled my mods with nothing but time and a computer. I have zero substantial code experience.