Author Topic: [Suggestion] Minimum required stats to use an item  (Read 7567 times)

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
[Suggestion] Minimum required stats to use an item
« on: January 15, 2019, 08:20:41 am »
So, idea is minimal required stats to use item.
Right now game use one such stat - psi skill. But sometimes i really want to add other.
Like strength restriction for heavy equipment, or bravery for boxer gloves. :)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 10:01:50 am by Meridian »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: [Suggestion] required stats
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 12:13:42 pm »
I don't understand what would prevent me from using an item regardless of my stats.
But of course using it well is a different thing. :P

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 12:53:38 pm »
I don't understand what would prevent me from using an item regardless of my stats.
But of course using it well is a different thing. :P
Imagine a man with a .50cal browning machinegun. Firing from his hands. His name must be at least Arnold.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 01:42:49 pm »
Imagine a man with a .50cal browning machinegun. Firing from his hands. His name must be at least Arnold.

Well, it *is* possible if you can lift the weapon... It just won't be accurate at all.
What you touched upon is not a problem with stats, but with mechanics. No matter how heavy the weapon, you can pick it up, fire, and drop.

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 02:52:38 pm »
Well, it *is* possible if you can lift the weapon... It just won't be accurate at all.
What you touched upon is not a problem with stats, but with mechanics. No matter how heavy the weapon, you can pick it up, fire, and drop.
So, aside of that discussion, are you agree with such feature or not? :-)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 03:59:42 pm »
So, aside of that discussion, are you agree with such feature or not? :-)

I disagree. It would be good enough for nuCom for example, but the in the context of the classic X-Com it's far too gamey and arbitrary.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 04:09:20 pm »
Some of this can be done by scripts, such as reducing the power of a psi weapon (or boxing gloves if you're not brave enough) when your stat is below a threshold. As for weight penalty with heavy weapons, you could make accuracy based somewhat on strength, but that can't really have the threshold kind of behavior that I'd like to see. I believe Yankes was working on a script hook that could help, like being able to influence accuracy at the time of firing.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 08:17:03 pm »
Yup, I have on side branch half finished scripts that control usage of weapons, with this you could make stat requirement.
Only problem left was how exactly it should work and report failure to use weapon. Simply saying, block weapon is easy, harder is inform player or AI why weapon is not usable.

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 03:24:26 am »
How should it look? I think - just as vanilla psi training requirement. A message when you try to use an item.
Or you mean how should it be coded? Here i can not help. :(

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 08:16:25 am »
I think that feature could be usefull for develop fantasy mod too.

The limit  that I remember, but it could be acceptable, was that items attributes are the attributes of their type
(all rifles have the same attributes, eventually with NEW bonus-malus too)

I suppose that source code have already some entry point for add items requirement check on soldier, such as check strength on equip, or check accuracy on fire.

An other idea could be weapons restriction to some soldier type such as Marines or Imperial Guards

+10

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 11:11:48 am »
I would be for it if It Was more neutering the weapons ability with low stats as apposed to being unusable.

Take the 50 cal for instance, have a check for say, if <40 Strength, -50 accuracy, and +10 tus to simulate both a runaway gun, and stumbling from the blast.

Actually I'd like this because sometimes some guns can feel cheapish if they aren't massive weight or something. I could see it apply in other ways, like accuracy under x decreasing max range before falloff for certain guns like shotguns. Especially if you made it similar to overweight, in every point over could make the effect more severe.

The key here is making it optional to be GRADUAL, and not just impossible to use. Rpgs that do this seem better imo, if guns or swords can be used by anyone, but in unskilled hands have bad aim, slower operation, and other problems. Like deus ex, you can use any gun with any build, but using the flamethrower is not viable unless you are specd for it because you move slow unless you are trained in heavy weapons. Doesn't stop you from slowly waddling towards terrorists with a gun too big for you, but you have the OPTION, except for certain circumstances.

I also agree about a per class, or per armor restriction for certain equipment, which is funny because I made a thread about that I think.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 03:29:09 pm »
The key here is making it optional to be GRADUAL, and not just impossible to use. Rpgs that do this seem better imo, if guns or swords can be used by anyone, but in unskilled hands have bad aim, slower operation, and other problems. Like deus ex, you can use any gun with any build, but using the flamethrower is not viable unless you are specd for it because you move slow unless you are trained in heavy weapons. Doesn't stop you from slowly waddling towards terrorists with a gun too big for you, but you have the OPTION, except for certain circumstances.

This is something I can get behind. :)

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 06:00:47 pm »
This part can be done allready with bonuses to aim and power.
My thoughts was about items unfittable for normal humans. But units after some soldierTransformations can have many new abilities.
Yes, like cyborg with helicopter mounted minigun in one hand, so on.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 06:33:38 pm »

The cyborgs could have an armor (which others can't wear) that has a minigun built-in.

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 02:19:45 am »
This part can be done allready with bonuses to aim and power.
My thoughts was about items unfittable for normal humans. But units after some soldierTransformations can have many new abilities.
bonuses to aim and power don't include limiting tus, reducing other stats, ect. Plus exponential power bonuses end up making high end stats creating absurd numbers. It wouldn't work for say, seperate stats for only under 40 strength, unless the power bonus could do a less than / more than function, and that still cannot alter other stats like tu usage.