Author Topic: Do you guys/gals get fond of naming your soldiers in OXC/OXCE campaigns?  (Read 813 times)

Offline FeruEnzeru[RETIRED/I QUIT]

• Colonel
  • retired, because of Meridian and his followers. 👎
    • View Profile
Last evening or last night (probably after Dinner or stuff with someone online i'm friends with), do you guys sometimes or always name your soldiers to different names instead of keeping your soldier's original names ???; e.g: Anton Miller or Grace Kelly or Anton Karas or some soldiers the OG only has iirc.

I used get fond of naming my soldiers into cool, or silly, or bad (or profane-to-explicit if get/go crazy on. :o), or obnoxious or any kind of names i've been giving them while i'm playing my OXCE campaign (also re-doing the 5 game-diff. challenge on no-imm to yes-imm after no-imm again), specially cannon fodder/poodoo ones to draw fire from the aliens (i recommend XCOM with deaths instead of no deaths, don't get me wrong).

Sometimes naming soldiers instead of keeping original names from OG or .nam files could obviously be good use of crazy and fun stuff.
Although naming soldiers while in-game takes too long to rename them, unless you're using SG (saved game) editing apps (e.g: Notepad++, also VS-Code does have an extension for editing .sav files for OXC to OXCE saves. :( ) for easy renaming actually. 8)

NOTE: I'm not gonna be attaching or uploading or posting screenshots of my saved UFO94/EU:94 games on this new topic whenever/whatever it might contain some (or a lot of) explicit and profane names (especially cuss wordings inside of the name of soldiers i have in my save) of my guys/gals (on the soldiers screen in-game on XCOM bases) if i'm right about this i have naming to make it crazy and nuts, including cannon fodder/poodoo ones of rookies. don't ask nor tell me please, i dare ya. :-[

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
Re: Do you guys/gals get fond of naming your soldiers in OXC/OXCE campaigns?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 06:41:50 pm »
I only rename a soldier once they have proved themselves in battle, with the high turnover of rookies, it takes up to much time otherwise.

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 08:36:49 pm »
@Luke83
I only rename a soldier once they have proved themselves in battle, with the high turnover of rookies, it takes up to much time otherwise.
Yep, you're absolutely damn right. It does, correct! :)

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 04:50:36 pm »
I took up the habit of changing my soldiers' last names when I retire them. The surviving members of a veteran crew would receive one collective family title, and then they would be shipped off to a remote base for guard duty, and I'd bring in some fresh rookies to step into the grinder and replace them.

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 08:00:48 pm »
@Reaver
I took up the habit of changing my soldiers' last names when I retire them. The surviving members of a veteran crew would receive one collective family title, and then they would be shipped off to a remote base for guard duty, and I'd bring in some fresh rookies to step into the grinder and replace them.
That's very, very, very reasonable for me to handle. I used to go with deaths for Soldiers instead of no deaths since last year 2018. 😕
Still quite fun for me to do and play. :D