Author Topic: The X-COM Stargate Community Mod... Get in here!  (Read 10325 times)

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
The X-COM Stargate Community Mod... Get in here!
« on: October 23, 2012, 01:00:04 am »
This something I was thinking about today. The X-COM Stargate mod is a badass mod idea that promotes adding another Sci-Fi element into X-COM to exploring new hostile envirnments far, far away from Planet Earth and making good use of the TftD aliens and tile sets so we don't have to make everything from scratch. So here's the Stargate Community Idea.

• Every new game will have two or more Stargates on Earth (you can add more on your option settings) and the location of the Stargates will always be randomized(You can always choose the exact locations if you want to, again through the option settings).

• The aliens will already know about the Stargates but will take there time to capture them. You won't learn about the Stargates unless you interrogate a specific high-ranking alien whose mission is to capture a Stargate or locate and capture the(new map) Alien Ancient Ruins Base that currently controls a Stargate. The Aliens won't have a super hard underground base, because alien bases are annoying in the beginning, so the Aliens will be on the Surface in an Ancient Ruins map mixed with Alien tech and the Stargate looking cool in the middle.

• Once you capture the location by eliminating all hostile aliens, you will automatically get a notice about the Stargate's existence and you'll be allowed to research it in the Research Science Lab.

• Now that you have a Stargate, you can start creating your new base to secure the Stargate for research and exploration!! Be prepared for base invasions as they'll attempt to recapture the Stargate every few months. The X-COM base stays underground for awesomeness, so just imagine the Ancient Ruins inside a large fence to keep non-government personnel out and a huge tent over the Stargate and for security to monitor the surface.

• After the research has been completed, (and I assume the research for a special suit to protect you from strange germs and bacteria)you can now attempt use the Stargate to send X-COM Operatives through to discover what's on the other side! I've never watched the T.V series so I don't know if you're supposed to enter exact coordinates or just power it up so that it sends you to another Stargate.

• This is where we need to start making a bunch of random maps of otherworldly swamps, forests, caverns, ice worlds, even hellish looking areas. We'll also need to make unique hostile and peaceful alien creatures for every map, and you won't know which animal creature is hostile until you send it to the Science lab, so every new game is going to be different. This would be perfect to add the Aliens and Tiles from "Terror from the Deep"! This way, it's not so much work making new sprites and tiles out of scratch and just need a master coder AKA "The Man" to make this happen!

• While exploring through the Stargate, you may come across another Ancient Ruins to explore or an abandoned base now owned by insectoids... You might even find the Snakemen in their natural habitat.

• If you come across an unstoppable force that's killing all your soldiers, you'll be able to have your remaining Operatives head back into the Stargate to abort the mission. That said, you might come across very deadly enemies that would force you to abort the mission. One of these situations might have a pack of tough Predator Hunters like the movies. Another could have Rhino-like creatures that will charge at you. You might get your soldiers infected by a creature carrying a contagion that will force you to pull out if you can't contain the infected away from your healthy Operatives. So don't expect to be able to clear an area the first time you cross a Stargate.

• After you secure the Stargate location on the other side of the universe, your science and scavenger team can securely set-up shop like any other mission to show you what you helped gather, just like any other mission. Through the Stargate, will you find new unique items and weapons that may or may not be of use after research, maybe even find some Elerium-115.

• I'd also like to see a very very rare map for lucky players, where you cross through and meet a hostile alien humanoid race using the Stargate to capture live rare species from all over the universe. Once you eliminate every Pirate from outside the Stargate and inside the ship landed nearby, you get to keep everything they captured and keep the rare weapons they have and even scavenge the ship for parts but through research you find out it's not useful since you can't duplicate the tech with your Earthly resources. Sell everything for high value :D

• I'm thinking we can add benefits for holding a Stargate every month, so it's not just for playing on new maps. I'm not sure though... Nothing that would make the game too easy. Maybe give you more points at the end of the month? I don't know ><

So that's it! You guys can take this and mold it to whatever you feel is right. I had fun thinking this up. I've never watched the T.V series and I should now that I'm daydreaming about Stargates and X-COM.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 01:03:36 am by WeOwnTheNight »

Offline AndO3131

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: The X-COM Stargate Community Mod... Get in here!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 10:29:31 am »
It's a very interesting suggestion. If Stargates would be airborne, we would need special crafts to cross through it (that would closely resemble Apocalypse). It is a LOT of work though (preparing new maps, designing the plot, maybe even designing new planets), but after OpenXcom 1.0... Who knows :)

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
Re: The X-COM Stargate Community Mod... Get in here!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 10:56:19 pm »
Yep, who knows. It is a lot of work to create but it was fun to think about and write it out.

I also like that idea of airborne Stargates.

One day, one day...