Author Topic: [WIP] X-Chronicles version 0.5  (Read 35850 times)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: [WIP] Chronicles
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2019, 03:25:45 pm »
I'm giving the mod a spin, it is already sort of playable but omg, quite hardcore. I like where this is going, though, your attention to detail deserves praise. I only think that slashing HP pools by 5 is perhaps too much, as it weirds out the wound-taking model. I guess you wanted to simplify things, but I would go by /2 instead.
Combat dynamics is refreshingly new - if you wanted to portray human soldiers as slow and cumbersome compared to the enemy, you have succeeded (firearms give you range advantage, but speed and power is on enemy's side). Sometimes you want to chew on your keyboard, but I approve of this choice. It only needs larger deployments to fully appreciate - cooperation is the key; in Piratez or XCF, 4 people is the minimum useable squad. In Chronicles, this minimum is at least 6.

EDIT: found and fixed some crashes, but I guess it's far too early to bother you with bugreports...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 05:27:59 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2019, 06:22:35 pm »
in fact, this division by 5 is relevant to game beginning.
Later soldiers will go through transformations, became moreand more heroic. And of course late game enemys.
Like one enemy unit can wipe out whole squad of normal people and get no damage at all. Like archidemon.
gosh... there is so much to do.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2019, 02:58:48 pm »
Oh, I like the idea of that. However I don't think crushing soldiers' HP so much changes much - even the basic nonheroic soldiers, confronted with the fact their guns are puny against heroic enemies, will just pack rocket launchers, mortars, landmines, flamethrowers etc to level the playing field :)
On the positive side, you can keep armor of unarmored humans at 0 and still a noticeable % of shots deals 0 damage (1 in 15 for a standard 7 power firearm, sounds about right).

EDIT: I actually managed to "finish" campaign, that is, play it for 6 or 7 months until appearance of more advanced enemies and lack of research made it too hard to proceed. The last thing I did was to capture an Outcast with serious losses, but he did not grant me anything of visible value, so I decided to try again in next version :)
I used the lasguns to win first mission, then I sold them and proceeded normally. I randomly choose American campaign and went on a Huey with hard rock blaring.
Even at the moment, the pacing seems quite fun in the first months and I seen nothing I disliked.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 03:07:07 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2019, 03:53:00 pm »
Thanks for a kind words. It means much to me.
, will just pack rocket launchers, mortars, landmines, flamethrowers etc to level the playing field :)
Hehehe.... they can try.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2019, 10:46:16 pm »
I made this today, and I though it might be useful for you (and it's unlikely to appear in Piratez soon) :)

EDIT: Also a cool spritesheet I found.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 10:55:25 pm by Dioxine »

Offline The Martian

• Commander
  • "It implores you to listen to its arguments..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2019, 05:28:48 am »
I recoloured the Power Armor from "War of Shadows" by Jackstraw2323 and the Snakeman Commander's Cloak that Duke_Falcon made, and then combined them to create a unit sprite sheet that could be used with Dioxine's wizard.

Not sure if it will be of any use but have fun with it if you desire.

Edit:
By the way, your Dark Tentacle hit animation is excellent.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 05:39:00 am by The Martian »

Offline efrenespartano

• Commander
  • I know a lot about the law and other lawyerings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2019, 05:33:43 am »
Its very cool, The Martian! Well done.

Enviado desde mi LG-M400 mediante Tapatalk

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2019, 11:44:33 am »
Thanks, it can be useful.

Currently now i'm stuck with marauders camp terrain. A mix of medieval warcamp and looted modern stuff.

Dioxine, as exchange i can provide this redacted roman-style paperdoll.

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2019, 05:51:13 pm »
Killed two weeks, began to do alien bases.
Also here is improved spikeboar inventory pic, if someone wants it.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2019, 08:16:55 pm »
I'll take it, thank you :)

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2019, 12:19:47 pm »
What about "X-Chronicles" as a name?  :)

Offline Mitra Lightbringer

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2019, 03:49:13 pm »
As expected from Nord, great brilliant to be masterpiece, and hard enough to be unplayable. I had 2 crushes. One was when I killed some sprite/wisp thing, apparently there is no corpse for it, and the other one is failed load of terror mission, I think, and I added the screenshot. I wish you the best of luck with this, I'm sure it will be amazing.

TIP: Get and upgrade armor ASAP, the way damage works in this mod, it will save your life several times over, and pay for itself in no time.

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2020, 01:55:31 pm »
As expected from Nord, great brilliant to be masterpiece, and hard enough to be unplayable. I had 2 crushes. One was when I killed some sprite/wisp thing, apparently there is no corpse for it, and the other one is failed load of terror mission, I think, and I added the screenshot. I wish you the best of luck with this, I'm sure it will be amazing.

TIP: Get and upgrade armor ASAP, the way damage works in this mod, it will save your life several times over, and pay for itself in no time.
Yep, this is not playable mod at all. Only blueprint or draft. It have a lot of bugs.

Offline Mitra Lightbringer

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2020, 01:22:51 am »
I understand what it is. I never made a (public, at least) mod for XCom, but I did a lot of modding for other games. My remark is made about comparison of this teaser and your other work. You have a lot of talent for modding, but I am afraid I will not be able to enjoy it if you make it super-hard, aka. harder than the base game (I played TFTD my whole life, and I never finished it, anything harder that that can't even be called playable anymore). I reported bugs because I thought report could be useful to you.
Anyway, I wish you success with this.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 04:46:28 am by Mitra Lightbringer »

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2020, 03:13:36 pm »
Well, thanks for your reply then.