aliens

Author Topic: How to change Craft Maintenance order to Rearm > Refuel > Repair  (Read 4144 times)

Offline Pirateman

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
How to change Craft Maintenance order to Rearm > Refuel > Repair
« on: December 13, 2018, 07:26:35 pm »
I've jumped into another campaign in OpenXCOM for the first time in 6 years or so, and I've found the ability to launch craft before they are ready to highlight a particularly strange problem. I have a Firestorm that is rendered useless because it fired all it's ammo and took ~10% damage while doing so. I can send it out after scouts and such but because it's set to Repairing > Rearming > Refueling it has no ammo and can't do anything. I would have no problem sending it into battle with a scratch, if it still had ammo it wouldn't withdraw from a battle, but the employees over at XCOM HQ seem to be unable to grasp their commanders priority is rearming it to fight off the alien invasion before applying the second coat of paint.

I never min/maxed or particularly analysed the game back when I played it originally, and I don't feel it's particularly important to maintain non-intuitive and unhelpful game logic for my enjoyment of the game now (though I absolutely do care about preserving original games, just maybe sometimes more as historical artifact rather than preventing growth or improvement). I've got limited resources and aliens swarming all over Russia, India and Australia. I don't care if they have to launch in a rusty bucket propelled by only a faint whiff of e-115, give my pilots something to throw at these bloody UFO's!

Can anyone help me with how to modify this? I have very limited knowledge of programming (some introductory Visual Basic from the turn of the century essentially), and also my OpenXCOM game files seem different to any tutorials I've found on modding it (even the ruleset files). I can't really see anything that isn't resources pulled from the original or ruleset files. I've got 1/12/18 nightly installed from the exe, I assume this is why it's so different but is the nightly build I've installed actually less modifiable? I found this thread on this issue https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=3088.0 from 2014. It seems to me bslaveboy managed to do something with fairly simple alterations to 4 files? I think?? But I have no idea how to integrate this into my OpenXcom rather than using his branch from 2014. Can anyone help me out with this? Is it possible to do this with a mod to be applied to the game rather than altering the install itself? Does that not really matter? I'm pretty lost. Some help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Brian

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: How to change Craft Maintenance order to Rearm > Refuel > Repair
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 03:39:17 pm »

Offline Pirateman

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 09:43:17 am »
The absolute basics of modding OpenXCOM still allude me. None of those files appear in the nightly available from the site, and I have been unable to figure out how to get the 'master' build into an installable/playable form. There's loads of documentation that talks about completely different file architecture to the version I downloaded from the site, and nothing explaining what I'm actually looking at. Can someone help me here? Either how do I modify the nightly version files or how do I turn the 'master' downloaded from github into something useable?

The_Funktasm

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 01:53:54 pm »
The absolute basics of modding OpenXCOM still allude me. None of those files appear in the nightly available from the site, and I have been unable to figure out how to get the 'master' build into an installable/playable form. There's loads of documentation that talks about completely different file architecture to the version I downloaded from the site, and nothing explaining what I'm actually looking at. Can someone help me here? Either how do I modify the nightly version files or how do I turn the 'master' downloaded from github into something useable?

I believe some of that stuff is actually pre-compile code. Just a hunch. It's something I've personally never messed around with but have mistakenly downloaded on several occasions.

Offline Pirateman

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 03:55:30 pm »
Okay, I'm finally making some headway with this whole compilation business. BUT now I'm running into the error "unresolved external symbol "<blah-blah-blah> YAML <blah>" which is already listed on the wiki here: https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Compiling_with_Microsoft_Visual_C%2B%2B_(OpenXcom) BUT I can't figure out how to resolve it. "Try adding YAML_CPP_DLL define to the project properties" I can't find a way to do this, where in the project properties do I add this??

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 05:51:22 pm »
"Try adding YAML_CPP_DLL define to the project properties" I can't find a way to do this, where in the project properties do I add this??

See screenshot here: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,3937.msg56803.html#msg56803

Offline Pirateman

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 02:46:51 pm »
Okay I followed the directions in that link and finally was able to compile the build with no errors! ...Now what? I don't appear to have an exe still. It might be that I'm suffering from the flu but this whole process is confusing beyond belief for me.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 03:15:15 pm »
Okay I followed the directions in that link and finally was able to compile the build with no errors! ...Now what? I don't appear to have an exe still. It might be that I'm suffering from the flu but this whole process is confusing beyond belief for me.

EXE is in bin/Win32/Release/OpenXcom.exe

What is confusing? It's the same place for EXE as for every other application I have ever compiled...

Offline Pirateman

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 03:57:09 am »
That's what I was expecting, but it has not appeared there. Rebuilding yields the same result. For some reason I had an option set to debug rather than release - SORTED. aaaand my attempt to change the craft maintenance order has been ineffectual.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 04:02:56 am by Pirateman »