Author Topic: [Answered] Rebinding the scroll wheel (middle mouse button)  (Read 2776 times)

Offline Nesphite

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
[Answered] Rebinding the scroll wheel (middle mouse button)
« on: December 20, 2018, 08:05:37 pm »
Its been bothering me for a while. Is there a way to rebind "inspect" function , that is middle mouse button by default? If not, can such option be added?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 05:53:05 pm by Meridian »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Rebinding the scroll wheel (middle mouse button)
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 01:48:24 pm »
There is no such option.

Same way as you cannot rebind the left click and right click for 99.98% of functions they do.

It can be added, but it would require non-trivial amount of work... unlike actions triggered by keyboard hotkeys, which are (mostly) separated into individual functions... actions triggered by mouse clicks/presses/scrolls/etc. and combinations of mouse clicks/presses and keyboard modifiers like ctrl/alt/shift are usually handled in one or few common functions.

Btw. what exactly is bothering you?

Offline Nesphite

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: Rebinding the scroll wheel (middle mouse button)
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 06:58:47 pm »
Btw. what exactly is bothering you?

I don't feel that mouse wheel should be pressed down at all. Feel the same about pressing down control sticks on modern controllers (Xbox etc.) - the construction is too fragile and unreliable to be used in such a way on the regular basis. Felt that from the first time I've pressed down mouse wheel  and control stick  years ago (how long its a standard, 10+ years maybe?). And a year ago I've broken the wheel on my deathadder  2013, a reassuring case for my skepticism.
Also I know that people who use middle mouse button to drag map do find it troublesome, at times.
I can solve the problem be making extra mouse buttons (4-6) behave like mouse 3 so it's a minor inconvenience.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 07:15:16 pm by Nesphite »