aliens

Author Topic: Counter-grenade tactics  (Read 2748 times)

Offline Bonakva

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Counter-grenade tactics
« on: January 26, 2021, 12:32:48 pm »
Is there a way to identify the grenade in the enemy's inventory?
A universal method or tactics for countering alien grenades?

One unsuccessful grenade can put the entire mission at risk

I intuitively thought that if the opponent has both hands occupied, he does not have a grenade, is this true?
I also thought that if the enemy had a pistol or a submachine gun, he would often have a grenade in his inventory, according to the same logic, I thought that a two-handed weapon is a sign of the absence of a grenade... But it seems this is not so.
Are there any basic patterns? Or is it pure randomness and every low-level cult soldier is capable of throwing a grenade at my entire squad?

How do you deal with enemy grenades?

Offline Mrvex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Counter-grenade tactics
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 12:49:00 pm »
Hiding beneath your landing craft is how i deal with it. Also in buildings.

Spacing out your troops so they dont get hit all at once.

I originally thought of that enemies require a free hand to throw so i always targetted enemies with empty hand but on the forums i was told that its completely irrelevant. So i just accepted that its just RNG.

In the next update, acording to git hub we are getting carapace plating from beetles which work as webwear but against concussive damage, that combined with native concussive resistance of armoured vest should make grenades and dynamite throws less dangerous in the early game. Plasma grenades though, personal armour can help somewhat due to large plasma resistance (though your soldier will be wounded considerably, but better than instant death).

« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 02:59:08 pm by Mrvex »

Offline Dogbarian

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 08:34:19 pm »
Main thing is Mrvex's second point - spread out.   Keeping your men close together is just asking for pain - grenades & stun bombs early, blaster bombs later.

Use cover and smoke to keep the aliens from seeing you as much as possible - if your main shooters are more than 20 tiles back, they're safe, bring a scout out of cover to get vision, shoot, then get your scout safe again.  Don't move into unexplored space with your last TU is kind of a given as well.

If you develop your tactics always assuming the enemy can do the worst thing possible to you, then you'll be prepared. :)  Just count on every enemy having a grenade, every large UFO or base having someone with a blaster launcher, and you'll be good - a wary commander is the best commander.

EDIT - sorry, just noticed I was replying in the XCOM Files mod folder (sorry, was looking at all new messages since last visit) so my advice is not quite as accurate.  Still, be wary, be safe!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 08:36:13 pm by Dogbarian »

Offline Empiro

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 02:04:41 am »
There's never much you can do about grenades and blaster bombs. However, I have found that in X-Com files, grenades are a bit less dangerous. Your soldiers tend to have more health, and many armors have built-in resistance to Plasma Grenades and Concussion damage.

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 07:51:29 am »
Spacing out seems to be the best bet. AI seems less prone to popping grenades then.

Certain map types are better for dealing against grenades, too. Stuff like jungles and other scenarios full of tall trees provide a kind of grenade defense for both sides.

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 12:03:40 pm »
shoot them before they can throw grenades...