Author Topic: Xcom via DosBox from GOG  (Read 5047 times)

Offline wally

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Xcom via DosBox from GOG
« on: October 04, 2018, 05:18:23 pm »
Hello,
 This is my first time using this forum so please bear with me. I have a 5 month old new computer running Win 10- it is a gaming computer. I downloaded Xcom UFO Defense via GOG using the DosBox Emulator - the game plays great, but since I am having sound/music issues I decided to use OpenXcom. Everything works perfectly thus far with OpenXcom, but now I want to play my saved game from DosBox and it does not seem to have found the file(s).

I already copied all of the DosBox files into the OpenXcom folder under UFO but still nothing.
I then copied those same files into the standard folder creating a new folder called xcom3 but still to no avail.

What am I doing wrong and how do I link my saved DosBox game to OpenXcom or is this a futile attempt at keeping my progress?

To reiterate- using DosBox works great also for play- just intermittent sound and/or music- yes I tried the configuration and setting changes; to no avail.

Thank you for any feedback or assistance in advance.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Xcom via DosBox from GOG
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 05:32:57 pm »
Hi,

first of all, OpenXcom can import only Geoscape saves, not Battlescape saves.

The saves from GOG version are in a form of a folder containing many files. Folders are called "GAME_1", "GAME_2" and so on until "GAME_10".
You need to take the whole folder and copy it to the folder where OpenXcom has its saves, see attached screenshot.

After that, start OpenXcom, click on "Original X-Com" button and you should see your GOG saves.

Good luck.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 06:20:57 pm »
Also: Ensure you are using a recent Nightly version of Openxcom.  Not the 1.0 Milestone.  I think the original save compatibility was added after the Milestone.

Offline wally

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 10:40:17 pm »
Meridian,

It worked! Many thanks..... I had the right idea but copied the folders into that particular folder incorrectly. Whew!!

Ivan,

I am and much thanks for the advice.

Now I feel much better lol

Offline wally

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 11:42:11 pm »
OK guys I am encountering one more issue - again I am a noob to OpenXcom so maybe I missed something.

In the settings for speed- I set the player and AI setting to the lowest, but everything moves very fast still and sometimes there is the movement makes the character/hovercraft jump.

Any helpful hints to have the game move at its proper slooooooow speed? lol

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 08:02:54 pm »
In the settings for speed- I set the player and AI setting to the lowest, but everything moves very fast still

Can you attach a screenshot with your settings?

and sometimes there is the movement makes the character/hovercraft jump.

I don't understand this, can you elaborate?