Author Topic: terrain pack 4.1 STR_PACIFIC game crash & possible solution  (Read 741 times)

Offline Pony

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
terrain pack 4.1 STR_PACIFIC game crash & possible solution
« on: September 24, 2018, 05:40:34 pm »
Hello, I hope this is the correct place to report my issue.

The game crashed at the end of the month, log says :
Error processing mission script named: superhuman difficulty,  region named STR_PACIFIC is not defined

I have openxcom 2018 09 04 0255 and only terrain pack 4.1 installed. But I recently installed terrain pack 4.1 and than the game crashed at end of month.  I couldn't reproduce because I suppose the game picked other regions than pacific to put missions in it when  reloading a save just before end of month.

I took a look into the Terrain pack geoscape.rul and it deletes all regions before recreating them with areas, mission weight and mission zones. But I noticed that STR_PACIFIC is deleted and than split into North pacific and south pacific that are created.

I suppose that the deprecated PACIFIC region got picked at start of next month to play missions in it, but it no longer exist as it is now split into North and South, so the game crashed. But reloading is fine because odds are another region will be picked... until next time.

My attempt at correcting the problem is to edit my save to change the 2 places where STR_PACIFIC is used (alienstrategy : regions and possiblemissions) and duplicate the entries than writing SOUTH_ and NORTH_ between STR_ and PACIFIC word. No problem, as the 2 newly created regions have the same regionweights and missionweights as the former pacific region.

Because the alien strategy is picked at start of game than written into the save.(A pretty similar problem could arise if the Pacific region was picked the previous month before installing the terrain pack, and the wave of ufo for the mission in Pacific region is not finished before the region get split into north and south by the mod.)

I hope this will fix the problem and will help maybe other simple minded people who thought this mod was just adding new terrain tiles and installed it in middle of a long game where they got bored of the same vanilla terrains.

I suppose the lesson is to always start a new mod with a fresh game.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: terrain pack 4.1 STR_PACIFIC game crash & possible solution
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 09:07:59 pm »
I suppose the lesson is to always start a new mod with a fresh game.

;)

+1 for a perfect post where you correctly describe the issue and how to fix it