Author Topic: [DONE][Suggestion] Touch controls  (Read 8919 times)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
[DONE][Suggestion] Touch controls
« on: July 11, 2017, 04:31:13 pm »
Hello all,

I would like to add Android support for various actions that are currently only possible on PC version, i.e. all ctrl/shift/alt+click/hotkey actions and various right/middle button actions.

For that, I would like to introduce new toggle-buttons on the battlescape UI, see attached screenshot.

I am no artist tho, so I would need help from someone (robin, bloax, anyone?) to create these buttons (both toggled and not-toggled variant and both UFO and TFTD variants). Size of the buttons doesn't matter too much (all buttons should have the same size tho), but the look and feel should be as true to vanilla as possible. Pictogram or text is also up to the artist to decide...

Anyone up for the task?

As a teaser, at least the following actions would be supported via such buttons:
   - ctrl: force fire, run, strafe
   - alt: extra HUD
   - shift: ignore enemies when walking
   - RMB: open doors, turn around, etc.
   - MMB: ufopedia shortcut, alien inventory
   - combo: extra dialog for all ctrl+? shortcuts (e.g. hit log, damage preview and various debug shortcuts); and maybe options for button configuration, if people don't want to see all of them all the time

M.

PS: this would help people, who don't have middle mouse button on their laptops too :)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 10:14:18 pm by Meridian »

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Re: [Suggestion] Touch controls
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 07:31:37 pm »
I'm trying out a new program for sprite work called Pro Motion NG.  I think it respects and preserves pallettes but I'm not sure.

I worked up a concept for a "Shift" key.

Edit: added the rest.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 11:31:40 pm by ivandogovich »

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 12:34:32 pm »
Ok, then TFTD is after me.

As i understand there is no pressed button sprite in tftd, only some kind of trick with colors, yes?
But if i am wrong, i can draw pressed buttons too.

Here are 4 variants:
(sorry, ideas for pictograms are dull.)

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 03:42:40 pm »
FWIW I'd actually prefer all the functions spelled out - CTRL, ALT, SHIFT, COMBO, etc, rather than pictograms - less cognitive load, don't have to remember which is which. But I guess this would be moddable.

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 06:53:31 pm »
I agree. Pictograms are closer in style of original menu, but writings has a better usability.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 07:54:32 pm »
Sure, letters on buttons spelling them out are fine.... if you understand English.  Pictograms are better for language neutrality.   

But I'd be happy to provide which ever Meridian desires for his awesome build.  :)

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 10:22:25 pm »
Sure, letters on buttons spelling them out are fine.... if you understand English.  Pictograms are better for language neutrality.   

Last time I looked, ctrl alt and shift were not localized on any bilingual keyboard. Nothing against localization, but those three have already ascended beyond languages.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 10:56:23 pm »
I agree, ctrl/alt/shift are fine spelled out.
rmb/mmb as icons are nice tho.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 04:51:15 pm »
Alternate Buttons spelled out.

Offline Wyldesnelsson

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2018, 04:58:46 am »
Would it be possible to implement support for bluetooth keyboards, as in actual key recognition?

Offline NiceMicro

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2018, 06:29:46 am »
As a less experienced user and very casual gamer, I would find it a better idea to have the buttons correspond exactly to the functions they represent, not just for keyboard keys or mouse buttons.

What I mean is, that it would be much easier, if there was a way to toggle maybe the main set of buttons into a secondary set of buttons, with switches for the following actions:
* Forced fire (On/off)
* Running (On/off)
* Strafe (On/off)
* Open door
* Turn left
* Turn right
* etc

These could be very easy-to-process pictograms, with the same tool-tip system that's used currently. (I don't know about the touchscreen version, does it have tool-tips if I press on the button longer or something?)

KZad Bhat

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2018, 07:24:37 am »
It could be set to give a tooltip with a long press. But adding many individual function buttons on a touch screen can easily end up filling up the touch screen, unless they instead take advantage of dead space in a typical tablet screen format to add the buttons. Or even then, if they add enough buttons that they have to cut down the game screen to get more dead space.

Also, it was nice to read this. I hadn't known before that holding shift makes soldiers ignore a newly sighted enemy without running. Makes doing turns with a dozen enemies in sight range surrounding one a snap.

Offline NiceMicro

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2018, 08:31:49 am »
But adding many individual function buttons on a touch screen can easily end up filling up the touch screen, unless they instead take advantage of dead space in a typical tablet screen format to add the buttons.

This is why I would suggest to just use the regular space where the buttons are and set change one button (maybe abort misson?) or add some way to change the button space to the "advanced" commands space.

Also, it was nice to read this. I hadn't known before that holding shift makes soldiers ignore a newly sighted enemy without running.

And this would make it easier for us to use the full functionality without having to know the key combinations.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2018, 09:10:08 pm »
This is why I would suggest to just use the regular space where the buttons are and set change one button (maybe abort misson?) or add some way to change the button space to the "advanced" commands space.

Maybe a Swipe across the main button space?

Offline NiceMicro

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2018, 05:33:06 am »
Maybe a Swipe across the main button space?

What about an extra button next to the soldier's name like this (attached)?

Or I'd switch out the "abort mission" button for the arrow to turn page, as that button is not used very frequently during missions.