aliens

Author Topic: OXCE (OpenXcom Extended) main thread  (Read 445648 times)

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: OXCE (OpenXcom Extended) main thread
« Reply #510 on: May 13, 2020, 08:02:27 pm »
Save file is only small part possible "crash" sources, you can easy play game not saving at all.
To see if any thing crash you need track all use of this variable and see if any use handle correctly big numbers.

Theoretical example could be "Next Turn Screen" have hardcoded space for only 4 characters to display, then if you send value 10000 it could crash.
This could probably happens if we would use C but in C++ many buffers automatically grown to meet required space.

Offline Shiroi Bara

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: May 15, 2020, 04:47:15 pm »
How experience system working when you use grenades - who get experience, aquanaut who prime it or aquanaut who pick it and threw? Instant grenades mode  is off and enemy hit by blast radius.

Offline vadracas

• Colonel
  • Just another player/modder combo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: May 15, 2020, 04:51:42 pm »
aquanaut who threw, no skills are needed to prime in this game.

Offline Shiroi Bara

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: May 15, 2020, 06:01:19 pm »
Ok, thank you, forget ask about disturbance grenades - same algorithm I assume? When enemy step on and it triggered experience goes to person who threw? 

Offline vadracas

• Colonel
  • Just another player/modder combo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: May 15, 2020, 06:18:41 pm »
Pretty sure throwing exp comes from grenades in this way: In the ruleset, the grenade is tagged to give throwing Exp, then, once the grenade is primed, when you throw the grenade it will give throwing Exp.

I think-but this has been modified before and I'm not 100% sure this is how it works.

Offline mechasdasd

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: May 17, 2020, 03:48:32 pm »
Hello, I joined because I wanted to ask something: are smoke grenades supposed to hurt units with normal and personal armor? (and some of the weaker aliens like Sectoids?) They don't in the vanilla game/OpenXcom and I haven't been able to find anything about it online. Power Suit units and Tanks don't get damaged at all, so I'm not sure if this is a bug or an intended feature of OXCE.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: May 17, 2020, 06:58:35 pm »
Hello, I joined because I wanted to ask something: are smoke grenades supposed to hurt units with normal and personal armor? (and some of the weaker aliens like Sectoids?) They don't in the vanilla game/OpenXcom and I haven't been able to find anything about it online. Power Suit units and Tanks don't get damaged at all, so I'm not sure if this is a bug or an intended feature of OXCE.

Hi,

smoke grenades are not supposed to hurt anyone.

They also don't hurt anyone in OXCE, same as in OpenXcom and in the original... unless you have specifically modded them to do some damage.

M.

Offline Bobit

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: May 17, 2020, 07:10:19 pm »
Smoke itself causes small amount of stun damage to units in it at the start of their turn which ignores armor but not resists. So if an armor says it takes 0% smoke damage, it will take 0% smoke damage. If it doesn't mention smoke damage, it will take 100% smoke damage, even if it has 50 armor. Tanks also have resists, they're just not shown in the UFOpaedia in vanilla. The grenade does no damage, only the smoke it causes.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 07:13:26 pm by Bobit »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: May 17, 2020, 07:17:54 pm »
Smoke itself causes small amount of stun damage to units in it at the start of their turn which ignores armor but not resists. So if an armor says it takes 0% smoke damage, it will take 0% smoke damage. If it doesn't mention smoke damage, it will take 100% smoke damage, even if it has 50 armor. Tanks also have resists, they're just not shown in the UFOpaedia in vanilla. The grenade does no damage, only the smoke it causes.

Which is exactly the same as in the original and in OpenXcom.
It was really not necessary to write it here and confuse the poor guy who asked even more.

Offline Bobit

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: May 17, 2020, 08:13:49 pm »
On a reread he said "They don't in vanilla" so yeah "same as vanilla" is the best answer.

Offline mechasdasd

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: May 17, 2020, 08:35:17 pm »
Hi,

smoke grenades are not supposed to hurt anyone.

They also don't hurt anyone in OXCE, same as in OpenXcom and in the original... unless you have specifically modded them to do some damage.

M.

Alright, I did a little bit of testing (downloaded latest OXCE version 6.5, got the files from steam, installed on a clean computer so no mods or previous saves). And it seems like the 'instant grenades' option turns smoke grenades into normal grenades in OXCE (the damage is applied on hit, same as normal grenades, and the ground gets visually scorched alongside the smoke).

I then downloaded OpenXcom on another computer and the instant smoke grenades seemed to work properly there (no damage, no visual changes other than the smoke).

Disabling instant grenades in the OXCE version of the game makes smoke grenades work 'properly' again (not sure if it affects any other weapons, I only started playing a week ago and haven't gotten very far).

This is all in the base game, I have no other mods installed and haven't really touched the other options (yet).

Offline Mathel

• Colonel
  • Do not mistake Muton for mutton.
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: May 18, 2020, 11:26:00 am »
Alright, I did a little bit of testing (downloaded latest OXCE version 6.5, got the files from steam, installed on a clean computer so no mods or previous saves). And it seems like the 'instant grenades' option turns smoke grenades into normal grenades in OXCE (the damage is applied on hit, same as normal grenades, and the ground gets visually scorched alongside the smoke).

I then downloaded OpenXcom on another computer and the instant smoke grenades seemed to work properly there (no damage, no visual changes other than the smoke).

Disabling instant grenades in the OXCE version of the game makes smoke grenades work 'properly' again (not sure if it affects any other weapons, I only started playing a week ago and haven't gotten very far).

This is all in the base game, I have no other mods installed and haven't really touched the other options (yet).

This seems to be a bug with special grenades in general. I was playing Equal Terms and discovered, that incendiary grenades from it do a large explosion when on instant grenades, while without instant grenades, they just create a small patch of fire.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: May 18, 2020, 12:13:09 pm »
...it seems like the 'instant grenades' option turns smoke grenades into normal grenades in OXCE (the damage is applied on hit, same as normal grenades, and the ground gets visually scorched alongside the smoke).

Thanks for the report. This is indeed not intended.
(I've never used the instant grenades option, so I never noticed.)

It will be fixed.

Offline Shiroi Bara

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: May 18, 2020, 06:50:25 pm »
Question about night vision. How to change it for on/off mode with keyboard? I mean not press and hold space bar all time. I know about threshold value too, it's great but can't find exactly how to turn on/off it by single keyboard button press. Sorry if it has been already answered.

Offline Mathel

• Colonel
  • Do not mistake Muton for mutton.
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: May 18, 2020, 07:09:16 pm »
Question about night vision. How to change it for on/off mode with keyboard? I mean not press and hold space bar all time. I know about threshold value too, it's great but can't find exactly how to turn on/off it by single keyboard button press. Sorry if it has been already answered.
Scroll Lock