aliens

Author Topic: OXCE (OpenXcom Extended) main thread  (Read 445823 times)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: OXCE (OpenXcom Extended) main thread
« Reply #465 on: April 11, 2020, 07:24:35 pm »
Can't put down Gas cannon from poor guy. I've tried use arrow in right bottom corner to make a space on floor but it's not working =(. So is this bug, feature (Triton space limitation is NOT set to 80), or I just unlucky with my hands and mouse?

Ctrl+click on it

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: April 12, 2020, 11:57:02 pm »
"100%" chance to hit can roll a miss, but it won't very often. The vast majority of times it'll have an actual miss is because it's not aiming at the target. This is an extremely common problem. There's a tiny place where the shot aims for, and a good fraction of shots travel along a line that would intersect that tiny place that the weapon is aiming for, and it's about the size of a 9x9x9 voxel cube. The fraction of shots that intersect this target area is similar to the accuracy as a percentage for most values, especially anywhere from "10%" to "90%" accuracy. Thus while it is not an actual percentage chance to hit, you can pretend it is in your head and your results will not significantly vary from that, provided the target area is inside the hitbox of what you're aiming at.

Sometimes (way too often, in fact), the target area that the soldier aims for is partially or completely protruding from the hitbox of the thing you told them to fire upon. This is especially common when shooting units, as their vanilla hitboxes are a fairly narrow cylinder. If your soldier has greater than 90 applied shot accuracy, their shot trajectory will generally intersect with the small target area they elect to fire upon. If that target area is within the unit's hitbox and it isn't occluded, they will generally hit the unit. If it's outside of the unit's hitbox, they will basically always miss, no matter how many times you play the shot over. The only way to fix it is to fire from a different position, as the way the soldier chooses their target area seems to be based on the position of the target tile relative to the position of the one who is firing. It applies to aliens shooting at you as well--it's very possible to be in a place from which a given alien can't hit you.

When the shot does not intersect with this small target area, it chooses a nearly random trajectory whose angle tends to go wider the lower the shot's effective accuracy. It's more likely to go near the target than it is to go wide, but not by a very big margin. On low accuracy shots (~25 or less), it is possible for the shot to go further than 45º from the target. On high accuracy shots (~75 or more), a straying shot usually won't go more than about 15º from the target, but that's still more than far enough to miss with only 1 tile separation between the shooter and the target unit. Large targets (cyberdiscs, reapers, sectopods), using vanilla hitboxes, the hitboxes are vastly larger than with small units. Because of this, your actual hit rate at shorter ranges (approx. 3-10 tiles distance) varies greatly by target size. For a small unit, hit rate is roughly identical to the rate that the target area is intersected, provided that area is inside the unit's hitbox. For a large unit, stray shots frequently if not usually still hit.

Compared to real life shooting, the X-Com units have abysmal accuracy. But also in real life, chance to hit a target varies greatly by the target's movement. Headshotting a non-moving snakeman at 30 yards with iron sights is a trivial task for a rookie shooter, but trying to hit a snakeman rapidly weaving side to side at 30 yards is very difficult without significant marksmanship training.

Technically speaking, the shot accuracy is not a percent chance to hit. But the actual % chance to hit (the target area) is so similar to the shot accuracy value at most accuracies that it is an effective shorthand to keep in mind either when firing or when explaining shooting strategies. The primary discrepancies are positioning of the target area relative to the target's hitbox (which varies depending on relative position of the target), and hitboxes not matching their sprites.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 12:05:12 am by The Reaver of Darkness »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: April 13, 2020, 12:56:51 am »
Screenshot or didn't happen.
show exactly save when this behavior happens then we can discus when we can see exactly what code do.
current behavior is same as vanilla and if I recall correct Meridian is fine with it and all glitch it can have,
if you want it change you should send it to OXC not OXCE.

Offline Shiroi Bara

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: April 14, 2020, 10:32:24 pm »
Let me back to Naga who used fan as hole and climb up. You said what my drones can do same. But they can't here save file for TWoTS. Drone on the roof of dreadnought, but it couldn't descend down. What I'm doing wrong or may be indecent with Naga still bug?   

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: April 14, 2020, 10:48:14 pm »
Let me back to Naga who used fan as hole and climb up. You said what my drones can do same. But they can't here save file for TWoTS. Drone on the roof of dreadnought, but it couldn't descend down. What I'm doing wrong or may be indecent with Naga still bug?

They can in the save you provided earlier, attached for reference.
I moved the drone below the fan so you can easily try it.

I don't know what you're doing wrong, probably just different maps behaving differently; I am really not interested in checking everything.

Offline Shiroi Bara

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: April 14, 2020, 11:46:11 pm »
Ok, that's explain things, then more question - could it be USO layout bug or feature, which if I understand correctly, present in .rul files? I mean instead of wall in place of fan present hole or vice versa? Because visual style in game is one thing, but floor and walls should be programmed separated in .rul files right? And if wall or block is missing is it possible to move through it even visual it looks like solid object?

Online Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: April 15, 2020, 11:11:11 am »
Ok, that's explain things, then more question - could it be USO layout bug or feature, which if I understand correctly, present in .rul files? I mean instead of wall in place of fan present hole or vice versa? Because visual style in game is one thing, but floor and walls should be programmed separated in .rul files right? And if wall or block is missing is it possible to move through it even visual it looks like solid object?
Ok, my area of responsibility.
Reason of all that is a new USO maps. In a case when one can fly through roof fan, this part is made not as roof, but as wall by author of these maps, Blank. In vanilla maps roof is impassable.
If you think that it is wrong - i may change that.

Offline Shiroi Bara

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: April 16, 2020, 07:25:43 pm »
Guys can you explain me how "killed by x-com operatives" penalty applies? Example: I just did pirate ship mission in TWoTS and attempted to save civilian lady by throwing stun grenade to her. Sadly, but she had wounds from enemy and died before I can reach her and use medkit. Final screen calculate her is "killed by x-com operatives". But why? How it works? Game check who last try use grenade, rifle etc and not check what that was not fatal grenade it all? Not a bug, I assume? Or may be will be changed in future? If not, what should I do to avoid such situations - check the human sprite on wounds before using grenades via middle mouse click?

Offline vadracas

• Colonel
  • Just another player/modder combo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: April 16, 2020, 07:47:49 pm »
It's calculated by "last 'attack' that hit the unit." Even a medikit counts as an 'attack.' And because you knocked them unconscious, it definitely affected them. So, according to the engine, your stun grenade was at fault.

Offline Shiroi Bara

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: April 20, 2020, 04:06:57 pm »
Asking it here, not sure what this is OXCE bug (behavior) or mod. TWoTS latest 2.45 attempting  to heal civilian body on the ground but it literally missing  on floor when I click on aquanaut who staying on it and holding medkit.
Screenshots and save file to check:

P.S.
Additional info: before poor guy get wounded and accidentally shooted near him to kill calcenite 2nd form. May be this effected his body and it's gone? But why then corpse still present on floor with wound mark and missing via inventory screen?
P.P.S.
Updated save file, still strange sprite missing but I can heal a guy.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 04:16:03 pm by Shiroi Bara »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: April 22, 2020, 01:49:21 pm »
I can see the medikit just fine.

Offline mayford

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: April 22, 2020, 08:33:17 pm »
Can I change the default working directories? C:\Users\...

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: April 22, 2020, 08:42:43 pm »
Yes.

Offline mayford

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: April 22, 2020, 10:40:59 pm »
Where can I change the path? It doesn't change the game settings.
P.S. It's been dealt with. Just move the folders to the work directory.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 10:57:02 pm by mayford »

Offline Shiroi Bara

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: April 23, 2020, 02:21:23 pm »
I'm not talking about medkit, it's missing body of wounded guy on the floor when you use "I" on you aquanaut who step on it.