Author Topic: [DONE][Suggestion] Mana pool  (Read 14359 times)

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
[DONE][Suggestion] Mana pool
« on: September 10, 2018, 06:45:26 pm »
I have a request. Or maybe a question:
What if "costUse", "costPanic" and "costMindcontrol" will use Psi skill or psi strength?
Now - it is nothing happens, i know. But what will be game behavior if?

EDIT by Meridian: feature implementation described/documented here: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,7241.0.html
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 10:51:34 am by Meridian »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] Mana pool
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 06:54:59 pm »
I have a request. Or maybe a question:
What if "costUse", "costPanic" and "costMindcontrol" will use Psi skill or psi strength?
Now - it is nothing happens, i know. But what will be game behavior if?

I don't understand the question.

Psi strength and Psi skill are constants, they cannot be changed or "used up" in combat.
(same as why you can't "use" Firing Accuracy or Strength or Bravery, etc.)

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 07:08:47 pm »
I think he might be asking if psi power could alter the TU cost?

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 08:22:01 pm »
Well, easiest way is to explain with the example(theoretically!):
psi skill renamed to mana. Using any psionic abilities spends mana and thus abilities can become weaker.
1. then psi skill resstores after battle ends.
2. to restore psi-skill you must use some kind of training in psi lab (let's call it meditate in some Dart Vader's spherical chamber)

But if it is only a constant, only first choice can be made relative easy. With adding variable, existing through one battle.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 08:46:28 pm »
No, psi skill cannot be used as mana.

But adding a new concept of mana is doable.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 09:02:12 pm »
I planed something like that in 4.0 and probably it will be ready in 4.1 or 4.2. Each use of item will call script and this script could change some property. Another script call before will check if you can use item at all. With this to script you could spend your "psi" (by altering status of battle unit and checking it).

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 09:58:49 pm »

No, psi skill cannot be used as mana.

But adding a new concept of mana is doable.
Sad. Idea was in attribute (property, stat), that can be spended through mission and needs global time to train back/restore.
I planed something like that in 4.0 and probably it will be ready in 4.1 or 4.2. Each use of item will call script and this script could change some property. Another script call before will check if you can use item at all. With this to script you could spend your "psi" (by altering status of battle unit and checking it).
This is great.
I see a thin spot - this new property will need some kind of visualization in numeric, just as forcefields need it now(but dont have).

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 10:11:15 pm »
AFAIK something similar can be done already, you can make psi attacks cost morale and/or energy... Right?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 10:13:38 pm »
AFAIK something similar can be done already, you can make psi attacks cost morale and/or energy... Right?

Yes, that's exactly how it was done in Piratez, and also in The X-Com Files.
I've never been a huge fan of the concept of mana in X-Com; even if it was available, I'd rather use energy and morale instead. But for some mods it may be fitting.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 10:22:16 pm »
Sad. Idea was in attribute (property, stat), that can be spended through mission and needs global time to train back/restore.

What is sad?
I said it is doable... just with a new property, because misusing existing one is not possible.

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2018, 11:26:38 am »
I think using stamina is an excellent way to do it. You can make a psionic armor that increases stamina regen rate, or a more powerful psi amp that can be used at long range and allow your soldier to avoid walking as much...or both.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2018, 11:35:00 am »
I think using stamina is an excellent way to do it. You can make a psionic armor that increases stamina regen rate, or a more powerful psi amp that can be used at long range and allow your soldier to avoid walking as much...or both.

Just guessing, but I think Nord already considered that option... since it is quite obvious.
(and we're talking about Energy here, not Stamina... Energy changes, Stamina is a constant)
(same as Morale changes, Bravery is a constant)
(same as -- maybe in the future -- Mana changes, Psi Skill/Strength are a constant)

However, Energy is already used for many other things... like walking, shooting, throwing, etc.
And it also regenerates every turn.
I believe Nord wanted a way to limit Psi spam by introducing a separate non-regenerating pool of mana.

Offline BTAxis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2018, 12:40:29 pm »
I'm wondering how mana levels would be communicated to the player though. If it isn't easily readable on the battlescape it sounds like it would be terribly tedious to manage.

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2018, 01:00:43 pm »
I believe Nord wanted a way to limit Psi spam by introducing a separate non-regenerating pool of mana.
Exactly!

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2018, 01:32:03 pm »
I'm wondering how mana levels would be communicated to the player though. If it isn't easily readable on the battlescape it sounds like it would be terribly tedious to manage.

I would definitely display it on the UI... don't know how yet, but without it, we don't even need to think about introducing it.