Author Topic: Muton spritesheet: is it wrong?  (Read 3083 times)

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
Muton spritesheet: is it wrong?
« on: September 03, 2018, 12:38:00 am »
I noticed that the left right arm for the east walking animation (red), is the same as the one for the north-east walking animation (purple).

In addition, the south walking left arm (black) is different: the east right arm (red) -in theory- should be like this, just mirrored (not exactly, the order of the sprites is different, but you get the idea).

I'm making a new alien based on the muton sprite, and I'd like to understand if I should fix it, by placing the correct arm in the red row, or leave it like this.
Does the muton's drawing routine take this into account?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 12:42:35 am by robin »

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Muton spritesheet: is it wrong?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 12:56:20 am »
yes, it is bugged, but not in the way you're describing: those aren't exactly bugs, they're just a bit lazy.
the only major "bug" is one specific arm frame, while walking in a specific direction, is way lower than it should be.
drawing routine 10 accounts for this by moving the arm for that frame, but otherwise it's identical to routine 0.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 02:01:24 am by Warboy1982 »

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 09:36:48 pm »
Thanks.
Could you tell me which arm frame and the offset? So I can fix it directly in my spritesheet and then use routine 0.

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 11:51:53 pm »
Thanks.
Could you tell me which arm frame and the offset? So I can fix it directly in my spritesheet and then use routine 0.
Use routine 0 and mind control a muton in random battle. Then you can see it directly.

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 12:00:53 am »
Use routine 0 and mind control a muton in random battle. Then you can see it directly.
If Warboy already went through that process and knows the data, I'll gladly hear it. :P
Obviously if the data is somewhat "lost" within a mountain of code, and Warboy doesn't remember and doesn't have time to check, I'll just do what you say.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 02:06:09 am »
seems i was wrong, i may simply be misremembering.
the right arm gets offset in the X-axis while walking to the right if not holding a weapon. this refers to the exact sprites you have highlighted in red, so your fix might render that piece of code obsolete

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 09:58:17 pm »
seems i was wrong, i may simply be misremembering.
the right arm gets offset in the X-axis while walking to the right if not holding a weapon. this refers to the exact sprites you have highlighted in red, so your fix might render that piece of code obsolete
i see thanks.
this is the result of using the "black" arm mirrored, it looks more or less ok.
(i could fix the muton spritesheet too i guess, but  it's an asset from the original game, it can't be redistributed can it?)