Author Topic: Cargo/Liner Ships and other  (Read 1251 times)

Offline Fox Mulder

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Cargo/Liner Ships and other
« on: August 29, 2018, 04:03:52 pm »
Hi, I'm new of openxcom, I am very happy to play again this old masterpiece.. I played the original game in dos and in collector's edition, and also tftd; I always thought that ships, cargo and liner, would have been a great addon in ufo defence, so my question is: I found them in the area51 maps and terrains, but are they working?

Another question is: I'm playing with a mac, is it preferable to use the oxce+ or the "simple" nightfly? I try oxce+ and it seems to work flawslessy, so I can assume changing the .gifs with the .pngs are not needed?

Thank You all and sorry for bothering

Fra

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • Aaand we're back!
    • View Profile
    • My Wiki
Re: Cargo/Liner Ships and other
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 11:58:25 pm »
Hi and welcome.

1/ yes, they work... although I'm not really sure what you wanted to ask
2/ area51 works with both nightly and oxce+... choice is yours
3/ all gifs in area51 were already converted to pngs... so you don't have to do anything

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 01:16:41 am »
I always thought that ships, cargo and liner, would have been a great addon in ufo defence, so my question is: I found them in the area51 maps and terrains, but are they working?

Ship missions on Area 51 only have 1 part, they're not two-part like the original TFTD

Offline Fox Mulder

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 03:17:48 pm »
Hi, first thanks to both of them for the answer,
so..
#Meridian..
1 I wanted to know if I can play them, so.. how? are they in terror mission? If not, how can I encounter them?
2-3 ok thanks
#Hobbes.. what do You mean with "1 Part"? Do You mean one level (one roof)?
edit.. ok i searched and find that ship mission in tftd are split in two, upper and lower decks, I played it many years ago and didn't remember that.. so only upper decks, right?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 03:30:01 pm by Fox Mulder »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 09:27:04 pm »
1 I wanted to know if I can play them, so.. how? are they in terror mission? If not, how can I encounter them?

You can encounter the ships both in Terror missions and in Council missions (a new type of mission added by Area 51)

#Hobbes.. what do You mean with "1 Part"? Do You mean one level (one roof)?
edit.. ok i searched and find that ship mission in tftd are split in two, upper and lower decks, I played it many years ago and didn't remember that.. so only upper decks, right?

Exactly, you can only play the upper deck pack.

Offline Fox Mulder

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Cargo/Liner Ships and other (katanas)
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 10:11:59 pm »
Ok, and just for curiosity.. they are not in skirmish missions (new battles), are they? Are You planning to add them there?

edit.. don't want to open a new topic for this, have you ever thought of a katana sword for melee attacks, instead of the combat knife?
I'm know rereading, after a lot of years, the very good André Galvão's X-Com: The Unknown Menace (34 chapters !), in it a japan xcom team used it when no more bullets, so..  ;D
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 10:20:10 pm by Fox Mulder »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 04:15:20 am »
Ok, and just for curiosity.. they are not in skirmish missions (new battles), are they? Are You planning to add them there?

Yes, you can play the ship missions on New Battle

edit.. don't want to open a new topic for this, have you ever thought of a katana sword for melee attacks, instead of the combat knife?
I'm know rereading, after a lot of years, the very good André Galvão's X-Com: The Unknown Menace (34 chapters !), in it a japan xcom team used it when no more bullets, so..  ;D

I learned better after I wrote that ;)

Offline Fox Mulder

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 10:15:32 am »
? Are You the author??

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile

Offline Fox Mulder

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2018, 01:57:26 pm »
So this is why the name Hobbes was familiar...  8) I liked the story in 2002 and I like it now.. really a good work!!

Offline tarsolyger

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 08:16:22 am »
have you ever thought of a katana sword for melee attacks, instead of the combat knife?

I think Katanas are overrated because they look nice, but they are made of worse quality steel than contemporary European swords, because of Japan's restricted access to iron ore.
But in Area 51, you can research a sword based on alien alloys, called "Alloy sword".
If you're anything like me, you'll love playing this mod, it brings so many new fun aspects to the game while keeping the original atmosphere ;)

Offline Fox Mulder

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 02:53:31 pm »
iFor the Alloy sword, already bought !  :) and yes I like very much this mod, only would like to know better the tech tree.. Hint after capturing a scientist I understood it was needed for the plasma, but for the lasers?

Regards

Offline tarsolyger

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 05:01:31 am »
iFor the Alloy sword, already bought !  :) and yes I like very much this mod, only would like to know better the tech tree.. Hint after capturing a scientist I understood it was needed for the plasma, but for the lasers?

Regards

haha yeah, the tech tree is kinda confusing sometimes, but I decided to play it blindly. The lasers became available after gauss weapons, which were available after alien alloys and the alien alloy-based ammunition for the regular weapons. But I have no idea exactly what were the requirements.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2018, 02:50:48 pm »
The lasers became available after gauss weapons, which were available after alien alloys and the alien alloy-based ammunition for the regular weapons. But I have no idea exactly what were the requirements.

You need complete research on the individual Gauss weapons before Lasers are unlocked.

Or, if you get lucky in the early game, you can unlock Lasers from the data disks recovered on the Council missions without having to research Gauss (although you'll eventually have to research Gauss if you want the Auto/Heavy cannons)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 02:52:19 pm by Hobbes »

Offline Fox Mulder

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2018, 08:28:21 pm »
You need complete research on the individual Gauss weapons before Lasers are unlocked.

Ok, perfect, thanks  :)

Or, if you get lucky in the early game, you can unlock Lasers from the data disks recovered on the Council missions ...
why this remembers me about an huge book I just ended to read again ?   ;D ;D ;D