Author Topic: Advanced Dogfights  (Read 7226 times)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
Advanced Dogfights
« on: November 03, 2012, 12:21:05 pm »
Has anyone been thinking of a more advance dogfight system , maybe something that would allow for multiply ufos to gang up on a single aircraft for some non-Vanilla fun. I would love to have UFOs that SPAWNs Defence Droids one day but the simplistic Dogfights of the original would never allow for this, Has anyone else ever thought about this ?

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
Re: Advanced Dogfights
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 12:45:27 pm »
I have. I suggested something like Steambirds, and I'm also considering a more interactive aerial combat in my game

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 12:50:14 pm »
Well i was not thinking of anything like Steambirds, but after having a quick go, i like it. I can imagine a INSTANT BATTLE option just for the dog fighting.

You could allow the player to issue commands  like the current system does and watch it play out OR you could take matters into your own hands and specify flight paths et,c like steambirds.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 01:32:06 pm by luke83 »

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 05:28:41 pm »
just tried steambirds, and I think I like it, too... the system could be adapted :) looks like a system that can easily handle multi-ship-battles, and where the different aircraft's / UFO's speeds and turning rates really matter.

might be hard to create a decent AI "pilot" for it, though. one that doesn't play like a half-wit with hands tied behind the back, that is ;)

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 08:26:46 pm »
I have. I suggested something like Steambirds, and I'm also considering a more interactive aerial combat in my game
Reminds me of the Xenonauts aerial combat.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 11:55:16 pm »
Does look like its is the same concept as Xenonauts, if anyone asks just tell them we copied Steambirds first ;)

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 12:11:25 pm »
Not really, I just watched Xeno on YouTube, you only really select a target and it plays out automatically. Steambirds is simulataneous turn-based.

Anyway... :)

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 12:28:24 pm »
in xenonauts, you can also specify waypoints in paused real-time. so it is actually rather similar, you can fly patterns and the most successful early-game tactic is intercepting with two planes, letting them fly in different directions, waiting for the UFO to choose one as its target, then trying to have the "bait" fly away from it (and avoid the UFO's shots) while shooting the UFO
down with the other.

I wouldn't even mind turning the entire air-combat into a turn-based strategy of its own :) although it would be quite a deviation from the original...

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 12:36:11 pm »
I hope someone decides to program this, i would love to make Geoscape more interesting.

Volutar

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 01:24:42 pm »
It would be not anyhow "classic" xcom anymore. There wasn't much attention on interception phase. It was some brief action before battlescape, which actually is very main part of game.

Offline shuuk

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 03:13:26 pm »
no please not. Keep it classic.
i dont like these xenonauts dog fights.
Maybe a mod but please nohting more^^

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 05:07:03 pm »
You could never replace classic, Supsuper would not allow it :P It was just another idea for "optional Feature" one day.  For every person that likes this idea there would be  10 that wont ( heaven forbid we mess with x-com 8) )

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 07:10:11 pm »
Plus d2uriel would be pretty upset if we just said we're scrapping all this work... So no fears for the original combat.