Author Topic: Custom inventories, gear slots and OXCE limitations  (Read 16453 times)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: Custom inventories, gear slots and OXCE limitations
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2018, 09:28:51 am »
Interesting ideas. No, shrinking is not really an option at this point. These small 10 slots well... I can already see that it's going nowhere and your original idea with general-purpose slots was better. Putting slots all over the doll... Hmm there was that idea with paperdoll overlays/layers, maybe these ideas can be merged together?... TBH I have no idea how to implement this feature, but I am interested in further developements.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2018, 05:36:18 pm »
I think the limited "general" purpose Aux slots are better from a balance perspective. Fewer higher influence choices, is better then many low influence choices. Just fitting the best item your tech allows for a slot is not engaging game-play. Picking only 2 aux items appropriate for your situation is.

Offline darkestaxe

• Colonel
  • Emissary of the Brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2018, 11:31:34 pm »
So I'm thinking just 2 isn't really enough, but BIS for every slot is too hard, and we don't even necessarily need that. Also, some utility items probably have other places they should be equipped, like backpack slot gear should go ... guess where. Can u guess? Hel charms should continue to fill ur inventory. If you could wear a shield without using inventory space, then it would be an outfit. Maybe 'don't panic' towel can just go anywhere it fits, including aux slots?

Alright here's what I got now:
(Note, for now you have to pretend that non-utility items won't go in places that they shouldn't. And this is just a demo, not complete.)

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2018, 01:42:28 am »
12 space seems decent, with appropriate slotting restrictions.

Offline Ridаn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2018, 06:26:17 pm »
Cant those slots just be made uninteractable with existing features?
Like assign 998TU worth to move to/from AUX (everywhere, including floor), with a custom text string for those 998TU?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2018, 06:47:25 pm »
Custom text string is impossible, but the 999 TU idea is sound, if we agree to the price of lowering utility value... At least it doesn't involve an insane amount of work to set allowable slots for every stinking item in the game Maybe just as a single util slot that is allowed for Nude outfits?

Also Legion, while I agree that having only 2 utility items would streamline the game, I also like the fact that you can custom-set your inventory to whatever you want... It is the core advantage of old xcom.

Offline darkestaxe

• Colonel
  • Emissary of the Brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2018, 09:05:36 pm »
999 TU idea could work, sort of, but remember I've already posted OXCE+ code changes that would add exactly what we need to do it properly. Slot restriction levels.

Code: [Select]
invs:
   -   type: STR_AUX
       restrictionLevel: 2

Restriction level 2 will make a slot accept only those items with allowedInventorySlots listing that slot. Thus we would only have to do allowedInventorySlots for utility items that belong in the AUX slot.

This is all assuming someone with visual studio and github is willing to try building with my code, and if it builds, pushes it to Meridians branch. The code changes to add gear slot restriction levels are really small and if we need it for Piratez gear slots, I doubt Meridian will say no.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2018, 11:19:26 pm »
Yeah but I'm concerned with inventory cluttering... Also... A though, if you go Nudist, why should you be allowed to "cheat" by wearing clothes? If you want to fight while wearing clothes, um... wear clothes?

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2018, 02:25:58 am »
Well need not be just 2, the point is to emphasize adapting to the situation not just lugging in a half dozen best in slot support items. Where the actual balance point is up to the you the modder.

Offline darkestaxe

• Colonel
  • Emissary of the Brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2018, 07:31:25 am »
Yeah but I'm concerned with inventory cluttering... Also... A though, if you go Nudist, why should you be allowed to "cheat" by wearing clothes? If you want to fight while wearing clothes, um... wear clothes?

Using the latest version, the size of the Aux slot can be managed per-outfit in the same way as the backpack is currently, with fake weapon blocks.

I myself don't really know how much of it should be blocked on different outfits since I'm still new to Piratez and haven't even made it to the mid-game. I'm still trying to figure out what I can safely shoot down with 20mm and a laser charger, and it's even worse on the battlescape. I keep equipping all these hundreds of different guns, and always still take out cattle-prods after every gun fails to take down anything. Except for that shotgun with the .6g cause it can butt-smack them, and the roto-gun which kills all the not dangerous stuff that I wanted to make slaves out of. Oh, right, moral grenades are starting to seem like they might be effective though, and I just got some dojos so I'll have to see if any of my gals can do anything with guns in a couple months. Plus something I'm reaserching about enterprise is supposed to make it so I can buy lasers.

BTW, I'm pretty sure medpacks don't really train bravery, but I have yet to patch 20 wounds with the same soldier in a battle so I can't be sure. What was I talking about? I'm gonna go test the medkit bravery thing.

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2018, 12:43:15 pm »
Even bandages train bravery.

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2018, 01:47:26 pm »
A heal has to actually occur to get bravery training, you can't just waste a medikit on a fully healed gal.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2018, 05:29:04 pm »
I made a mockup of what I consider to be a possibility without compromising the paperdoll space too much...
So how ugly does it look? :)

EDIT: another setup in the 2nd pic
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 05:56:43 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2018, 07:59:46 pm »
The first one is obviously rather nasty due to the overlapping, but I still like it more than the second. The second one would be fine if it wasn't for the QD slot - it completely breaks my orientation about where the backpack is, where the belt is, and where the QD is. I would have to read it carefully every time, and that's just a big no.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2018, 05:54:21 pm »
Well, how about this one, then: