Author Topic: Multiple starting options or Xcom Files to FMP 2.0 Extended+  (Read 3976 times)

Offline Firestorm_01

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Multiple starting options or Xcom Files to FMP 2.0 Extended+
« on: August 20, 2018, 03:40:32 pm »
As far as I know game already has improved content of FMP with a lot of new features from OXCE+. But accessing it without moving throught a lot of x-fles contents is hard. And all of this without exploding aliens with rocket launchers.

At the same time there is no plans to port features from Xcom files to FMP. But this is that it is not needed since content already there.

If there will be possiblity to start from multiple points of time with already unlocked researches and predefined base then Xcom files instantly become FMP 2.0.
It is like

Select starting chapter:
1) Begining of the X-com (Deafult start).
2) We know- they are coming (Promotion I or II, later by time)
N) Aliens invasion (familiar fighting with aliens, starts with invasion time).

It can be even synronized with arcs.

Is it technically possible?
Likely with OXCE+ suggestions to add multiple starting conditions? It technically should be possible since it is should (probably) use same mechanism as usual save.

If not is there another way?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 09:24:24 pm by Firestorm_01 »

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple starting options or Xcom Files to FMP 2.0 Extended+
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 09:39:14 pm »
This would help a lot to play the game without having to endure the cult over, over and over. It would be a real QoL improvement.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 10:08:26 pm »
From my perspective... definitely not doing any support for this in the code.

Any mod that is too big, should be split into smaller mods.
XCF is a perfect example... splitting it into pre-invasion and post-invasion mods would make so much sense.... at least for me.

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 11:56:59 pm »
If there will be possiblity to start from multiple points of time with already unlocked researches and predefined base then Xcom files instantly become FMP 2.0.
It is like

Select starting chapter:
1) Begining of the X-com (Deafult start).
2) We know- they are coming (Promotion I or II, later by time)
N) Aliens invasion (familiar fighting with aliens, starts with invasion time).

It can be even synronized with arcs.

Is it technically possible?
You can modify the mod :)
Or move all your changes to a separate mod. Once you figure what needs to be changes, it's pretty straightforward. The biggest problem would be that XCF is still evolving. What made sense 2 months ago, may no longer work as desired.

This approach limits you to a single starting base and doesn't allow to get veterans or screen agents' abilities. I have not searched how are UFO missions in January 1997 implemented, but probably they just won't happen.

That said, you need to find and alter the following:
startingTime — in Ruleset/vars_XCOMFILES.rul
initialFunding — ditto
startingBase — in Ruleset/startingBase_XCOMFILES.rul — add new items to the store, facilities, vehicles to hangar, increase number of agents/workers/researchers; maybe add some yet-unresearchable trophies, e.g. Mind Probe for January 1998.
fundingBase in countries — in Ruleset/countries_XCOMFILES.rul — for each country.

To move the plot forward, you need to enable certain pieces of knowledge. I don't know how to do that — ask in other subforums. It's at least possible to give corresponding items in Ruleset/research_XCOMFILES.rul "cost: 0", "points: 0" and empty sections "dependencies" and "requiresBaseFunc". This way you should get a lot of research items at the end of 1st day — messy, but gets the job done.

What to enable is up to you. For example, if you set the date to March 1, 1997, you should do something like:
add to the base Biolab and Intelligence Center,
replace the car with 2 vans,
increase number of agents to 10, scientists to 15,
add to the store some Earth weapons,
add pieces of a captured UFO and some low-level alien weapons, if you assume the agents should have captured UFO(s) in January,
in research enable Promotion 1 (STR_MILESTONE_1_SUMMARY), biolab (STR_BIO_LABORATORY), intelligence center (STR_INTEL_LABORATORY), van (STR_VAN) and research items that lead to them (within reason):
- STR_MILESTONE_1
- STR_STRANGE_CREATURE_AUTOPSY
- STR_REAPER_AUTOPSY
- STR_REAPER
- STR_REAPER_TERRORIST
- STR_SECTOID_AUTOPSY
- STR_GIANT_RAT_TERRORIST
- STR_GIANT_RAT
- STR_GIANT_RAT_CORPSE
- STR_GIANT_BEETLE_TERRORIST
- STR_GIANT_BEETLE
- STR_GIANT_BEETLE_CORPSE
- STR_ZOMBIE_STERILE_CORPSE
- STR_ZOMBIE_STERILE
- STR_ZOMBIE_STERILE_TERRORIST
- STR_CULTIST_INTERROGATED
- STR_EXALT_INFILTRATOR
- STR_ZSRR_GANGER
- STR_BLACK_LOTUS_FOLLOWER
- STR_SUPPORTER_OF_DAGON
- STR_ADVANCED_MEDICINE
- STR_MEDICINE
- STR_BASIC_OPERATIONS
- STR_CHURCH_OF_DAGON
- STR_BLACK_LOTUS
- STR_ZSRR
- STR_EXALT
- STR_VAN
- STR_LOGISTICS

From my perspective... definitely not doing any support for this in the code.
How about enabling some research items at the start of the the campaign? Does the engine support that?

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 12:09:51 am »
How about enabling some research items at the start of the the campaign? Does the engine support that?

Yes, you can delete them and everything they locked will be enabled.

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 01:10:48 am »
Yes, you can delete them and everything they locked will be enabled.
What do you mean? For example, STR_VAN depends on STR_LOGISTICS. Do you mean that if I delete STR_LOGISTICS, I will be able to research STR_VAN even if it is listed as a required dependency? — No, didn't work.
Or do you mean, that all missions that require STR_VAN will become available if I delete STR_VAN?
Or do you mean using "delete" command in the *.rul files?

My question is: is there a way to enable STR_VAN right from the start, without changes to research_XCOMFILES.rul ?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 09:38:22 am by tkzv »