aliens

Author Topic: [Solved] [X-Com Files] Primed Electro Flares light up as soon as they're thrown  (Read 3314 times)

Offline BTAxis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
During my campaign of X-Com Files it turned out that electro-flares, which do not emit light until primed and thrown, start emitting light as soon as they leave the soldier's hand. The upshot of this is that once the soldier does throw, it and everything around it is briefly lit up as the flare travels, allowing the spot/sniper AI to take shots at any thusly revealed soldiers during the enemy turn.

In my opinion this is a bit of an issue, because the point of having primed flares in the first place is to be able to deploy them while remaining concealed in darkness.

Is this something that can be addressed?

--- posts merged sacre bleu ---

Update: This might not be about the flares specifically after all. I did some more poking and found that firing weapons also reveals my soldiers, even if they were unspotted prior. But only if an enemy is hit by the shot.

Edit: I'm told this is intended behavior. I find that very disappointing.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 10:42:10 pm by BTAxis »

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [X-Com Files] Primed Electro Flares light up as soon as they're thrown
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 09:30:50 pm »
Edit: I'm told this is intended behavior. I find that very disappointing.
I want to know if this happens both ways. I would be okay with it iff my soldiers can also shoot at aliens deep in the darkness due to getting shot in the back.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 09:42:53 pm »
Thrown flares do not illuminate the soldier after all. They really only light up on impact. So, false alarm.

Offline BTAxis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 09:47:11 pm »
Thrown flares do not illuminate the soldier after all. They really only light up on impact. So, false alarm.

Fact is that throwing flares caused my soldiers to become spotted. Why did that happen then?

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 09:48:19 pm »
Did you ensure you were throwing them far enough that they didn't light the soldier on landing?

Offline BTAxis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 09:49:49 pm »
Did you ensure you were throwing them far enough that they didn't light the soldier on landing?

Yes. They were more than 20 tiles out, and they only light in a 9 tile radius.

Edit: For now I'm just going to put this down to screwiness due to a bad install. I have not been able to reproduce it again.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 10:41:54 pm by BTAxis »

Offline Ethereal

• Commander
    • View Profile
Hmm, I was thinking how to use these flashlights, with lots of incendiary grenades and mines. I hope that you will think of something to make them useful.