Author Topic: Open X-Com Mission Novelization  (Read 5039 times)

Offline Glamdring18

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Open X-Com Mission Novelization
« on: June 16, 2019, 10:35:24 pm »
Teaser for the PDF attachment:

Squaddie Matous Kadlec shifted nervously against his restraints and glanced at his wrist-gadget's watch function. According to the mission briefing, they should reach the landing zone in about 10 minutes. Kadlec hated landings. He still hadn’t gotten used to the feeling of rapid deceleration from 760 km/h to next to zero, but it was necessary to ensure the element of surprise. By flying the Skyranger in at top speed until the last possible moment a few hundred feet above the ground, the pilot could make use of the aircraft’s Vertical Take Off and Landing capabilities to deliver the squad as rapidly as possible. None of this made Kadlec feel any better.

His neighbor, Sergeant Aatu Karppinen, must have seen the uneasiness on his face, because he patted Kadlec’s knee and gave him a reassuring smile. “It never really gets any better, you know?” he said, voice raised over the din of the engines. “I’ve been on about 10 more missions than you and they still suck. You just get used to it.”

Kadlec nodded and tried to return Karppinen’s smile, but the worry lines didn’t leave his face. Kadlec faced forward and locked eyes with Sergeant Miroslav Molnar across the small aisle. He, too, recognized the nervousness in Kadlec’s eyes and tried to reassure him. You’ll be fine, he mouthed, slowly so Kadlec could easily read his lips. Molnar exaggerated breathing in and out slowly, encouraging Kadlec to join in.

An alarm sounded through the speakers of the craft. “Approaching landing sight,” called the pilot over the radio. Kadlec and the others braced themselves. The Skyranger braked sharply and set down with a thump. The squad released their restraints and lined up in front of the loading ramp, weapons low but ready. Squaddie Kadlec and Sergeant Molnar took up positions behind the tank drone and let it roll down the ramp, listening for enemy fire or movement.

Offline Glamdring18

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: Open X-Com Mission Novelization
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 07:33:53 pm »
Hey guys, can I get some feedback on this? Is the fact that it's a file attachment scaring people off? Should I post the whole (7 pages!) here as just text? Should the teaser be longer? I see some people are at least looking at the post, but you're not really getting anything without downloading the PDF :/

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: Open X-Com Mission Novelization
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2019, 09:32:08 pm »
You might get more feedback if you post your story here: https://www.fanfiction.net/game/X-Com/