Author Topic: [DONE] [Suggestion] Shoot down ufo to stop alien mission  (Read 11426 times)

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
[DONE] [Suggestion] Shoot down ufo to stop alien mission
« on: July 28, 2018, 04:37:31 pm »
As i understand, global parameter "chanceToStopRetaliation" can stop alien retaliation mission in the middle by shooting down proper ufo's.
How about parameter, which would affect EACH mission?
Maybe just like so, in "vars" rules,
Or maybe (it is better, but i think also more complicate) in mission description.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 12:40:06 pm by Meridian »

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] Shoot down ufo to stop mission.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 05:32:15 pm »
As i understand, global parameter "chanceToStopRetaliation" can stop alien retaliation mission in the middle by shooting down proper ufo's.

No, this parameter doesn't have anything with shooting down UFOs; and cannot stop retaliation in the middle.
This parameter is used to end the "endless retaliation battleships" when the UFO is destroyed by base defense facilities (e.g. by plasma defenses).

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2018, 06:47:51 pm »
Got it.
But then my first thought become a suggestion. Or is it too complicate?

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 06:55:47 pm »
Got it.

It's possible... but it may look very strange if you have multiple UFOs of the same mission on the globe.

You would shoot down one of them... RNG says "stop"... and suddenly the other UFOs make bloop and disappear into thin air :)

Offline Ethereal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2018, 07:04:25 pm »
Got it.

I join the proposal.
And at the same time raise the issue of preventing Infiltration and the return of countries that have stopped funding back, by destroying the alien base built as a result of Infiltration.

You would shoot down one of them... RNG says "stop"... and suddenly the other UFOs make bloop and disappear into thin air

When you destroy the last on the globe-mission interruption.

Online ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2018, 07:06:26 pm »
What if the "stop" meant that all other UFOs that were on the globe and part of the mission redirected to their final waypoint of the path where they'd normally disappear? This of course couldn't apply on UFOs that represent the mission as complete - the retaliation battleship would still keep going to your base and the last wave of infiltration/base building would stay as they already completed their objective.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 07:31:01 pm »
I join the proposal.
And at the same time raise the issue of preventing Infiltration and the return of countries that have stopped funding back, by destroying the alien base built as a result of Infiltration.

I thought you would... anything to make the game easier :P

What if the "stop" meant that all other UFOs that were on the globe and part of the mission redirected to their final waypoint of the path where they'd normally disappear? This of course couldn't apply on UFOs that represent the mission as complete - the retaliation battleship would still keep going to your base and the last wave of infiltration/base building would stay as they already completed their objective.

I guess I could just flag the mission as interrupted... leave all existing UFOs do their thing... and when a next UFO would be spawned, not allow it... and also somehow periodically check if I can remove the whole mission already, i.e. all UFOs despawned already (maybe once a month or something like that).

Offline Ethereal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2018, 08:00:31 pm »
I thought you would... anything to make the game easier :P

For that I two-level base, in my modification, and did. Five times think to go there a weak intake of new recruits or not. And, Yes, I am annoyed that the very fact of The generation of infiltration mission leads to irreversible consequences - the loss of the funding state forever. At the same time, the player can not avoid it by any means except cheating in the save file. It would be much more correct to give a chance to the player to recoup - destroyed base of newcomers - received the ally back. And if there is nothing to destroy the base - develop and swing further.

I guess I could just flag the mission as interrupted... leave all existing UFOs do their thing... and when a next UFO would be spawned, not allow it... and also somehow periodically check if I can remove the whole mission already, i.e. all UFOs despawned already (maybe once a month or something like that).

Can't make it any easier? When the x-COM base is found, the aliens attack it 5-10 times and on that, the current mission is completed, the aliens lose the coordinates of the base and look for it again, but only in the next missions. Just enter a limit on the number of ships completing the mission and deal with the end.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 08:02:49 pm by Ethereal »

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2018, 08:25:31 pm »
Can't make it any easier? When the x-COM base is found, the aliens attack it 5-10 times and on that, the current mission is completed, the aliens lose the coordinates of the base and look for it again, but only in the next missions. Just enter a limit on the number of ships completing the mission and deal with the end.

That's what the setting from the first post does.
The "chanceToStopRetaliation" variable.
Set it to 20% to stop after 5 battleships in average, or 10% for 10 battleships in average... after that they forget about the base and have to start again.

Offline Ethereal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2018, 08:34:56 pm »
That's what the setting from the first post does.
The "chanceToStopRetaliation" variable.
Set it to 20% to stop after 5 battleships in average, or 10% for 10 battleships in average... after that they forget about the base and have to start again.

And what to do when all the battleships are destroyed not defensive facilities of the base, in their absence, and interceptors?

This parameter is used to end the "endless retaliation battleships" when the UFO is destroyed by base defense facilities (e.g. by plasma defenses).

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2018, 08:46:58 pm »
The retaliation ends when:
1. you let them into your base and win (or even lose) the mission
2. when base defenses destroy the attacking battleship and RNG on "chanceToStopRetaliation" says stop

Shooting down the battleships with your interceptors is normally impossible, since they are quicker than your interceptors and just attack your base anyway.

Also, even if you make your interceptors much quicker... isn't it easier to just let them in and end the mission that way?

If all of the above for some reason is not enough for you... you will be able to stop them by shooting them down with interceptors after Nord's suggestion is implemented.

Offline Ethereal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2018, 08:58:55 pm »
Shooting down the battleships with your interceptors is normally impossible, since they are quicker than your interceptors and just attack your base anyway.

In the original Avenger faster than any UFO and perfectly intercepts battleships. Not infrequently he had become a major base defense. In the modifications-there is no understanding who is faster, whom and what to intercept and what exactly UFO should attack the base.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2018, 09:08:32 pm »
In the original Avenger faster than any UFO and perfectly intercepts battleships. Not infrequently he had become a major base defense. In the modifications-there is no understanding who is faster, whom and what to intercept and what exactly UFO should attack the base.

YES... but WHY would you do that? Just let them into the base, win the mission and they will STOP retaliating... it's MUCH easier than shooting them down with Avengers...

Offline Ethereal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2018, 09:24:33 pm »
YES... but WHY would you do that? Just let them into the base, win the mission and they will STOP retaliating... it's MUCH easier than shooting them down with Avengers...

Not always. It happens that there is either no armor for soldiers or weapons, or the soldiers themselves to the new base did not have time to start, or all the soldiers at the base flew on a mission in another transport. And in General, I do not like to let the enemy on their bases. Since the time of Red Alert, the habit has been preserved.

P.S. By the way long dreamed that after the attack on the base, half of the blocks would be broken and required to restore half the time of construction. Just to let the enemy to its base would be the most dangerous and unprofitable under any circumstances.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 09:36:31 pm by Ethereal »

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2018, 05:35:00 am »
I think it is an ideal way. "Interrupted" missions can wait until the end of a month with easy.
It will be great, thanks.