Author Topic: Area 51 beta version 0.963 - updated September 2nd  (Read 1470 times)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Area 51 beta version 0.963 - updated September 2nd
« on: July 20, 2018, 03:30:08 am »
Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/ak6ghbas7vckguh/Area%2051%20v0.963.zip

Requires latest Nightly openxcom_git_master_2018_07_19_1544 or more recent

List of changes:
* Several bugs fixed, including all those reported on the forums
* Balance: Stormhawk Missile Launcher capacity reduced to 3 (from 6) (reverted back to 6)
* Balance: UFO radar range (for OXCE+) increased
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 03:02:35 am by Hobbes »

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • Aaand we're back!
    • View Profile
    • My Wiki
Re: Area 51 beta version 0.963 - released July 20th
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2018, 10:57:55 am »
So Stormhawk is now a crippled version of Avalanche that needs a research?
Well done, scientists :)

PS: description should probably be changed too... it's now not smaller nor lighter.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 11:00:36 am by Meridian »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2018, 05:54:03 pm »
So Stormhawk is now a crippled version of Avalanche that needs a research?
Well done, scientists :)

PS: description should probably be changed too... it's now not smaller nor lighter.

You're right... should have rechecked the damage ratings, I just assumed they were higher than an Avalanche's

Still, the issue remains that a single Interceptor is now capable of shooting down a Terror Ship using 2 Stormhawk launchers each with 6 missiles, which makes such dogfights easy (previously you'd need 2 interceptors with Avalanches and it was not 100%). Any ideas how to fix it?

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • Aaand we're back!
    • View Profile
    • My Wiki
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 06:02:17 pm »
Maybe give it 4 missiles each, instead of 6... or is that also enough to shoot down a Terror Ship?

Otherwise, I would just remove it... if someone wants to play a game with 100 identical weapons per tier, there's still XCF/Piratez/etc. ;)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 06:46:53 pm »
Maybe give it 4 missiles each, instead of 6... or is that also enough to shoot down a Terror Ship?

Otherwise, I would just remove it... if someone wants to play a game with 100 identical weapons per tier, there's still XCF/Piratez/etc. ;)

I've reverted it back to 6 missiles per launcher - I still feel it to be overpowered but I definitely don't want a ton of identical weapons per tier, as you said.

This is related to a bigger issue - I've decided a while back that I didn't want to rework the air game (and at a time I included a external mod that changed the vanilla weapons) other than adding a couple new craft weapons, but I'm starting to question that decision since I introduced HKs for those who are running OXCE+.

Which leads to another bigger issue I've been considering, which is to switch Area 51 to OXCE+ instead of the nightlies, because I like some of its features, like alien vision not being affected by smoke - after watching your LP I'm really starting to feel that smoke has become overpowered in OXC when compared to the original - and other improvements.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • Aaand we're back!
    • View Profile
    • My Wiki
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 07:37:07 pm »
That's indeed a hard decision, which you'll probably have to make on your own.

I'm obviously 100% biased here, so I'll politely abstain from voting.

PS: one word of advice tho: there will always be cheese in the game... no matter how much cheese will be removed, there's always next cheese waiting in the line. On request of multiple modders and also from my own initiative, multitude of cheese-preventing mechanisms have been implemented (thermal vision, noLOS penalty, close quarters combat, psi vision, alien spotters & snipers, despawn-even-if-targeted, and so on and so forth...). But there's still as much cheese left as we started with :) Best anti-cheese is the player himself... playing without abusing cheese willingly.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 08:33:11 pm »
PS: one word of advice tho: there will always be cheese in the game... no matter how much cheese will be removed, there's always next cheese waiting in the line. On request of multiple modders and also from my own initiative, multitude of cheese-preventing mechanisms have been implemented (thermal vision, noLOS penalty, close quarters combat, psi vision, alien spotters & snipers, despawn-even-if-targeted, and so on and so forth...). But there's still as much cheese left as we started with :) Best anti-cheese is the player himself... playing without abusing cheese willingly.

Yup, there will always be cheese - and that's why I eventually removed mods that tried to balance some of the original cheese (psionics, blaster launchers, etc.) and others like 'despawn-even-if-targeted' are a wise example of 'let's not piss off the player too much' design decisions. Even the smoke issue I mentioned earlier is itching me as a modder, not as a player since I also use copious amounts of smoke.

Offline tarsolyger

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 06:27:26 am »
I've reverted it back to 6 missiles per launcher - I still feel it to be overpowered but I definitely don't want a ton of identical weapons per tier, as you said.

The only reason for using Stormhawks is because of their greater carry capacity, which comes handy once I'm changing my fleet from using Interceptors to use the Thunderstorms. I couldn't maintain 4 of them to shoot down terror ships, and by the time I have Thunderstorm w. Stormhawks, terror ships are not the only big UFOs I need to deal with without losing my planes (I'm basically at the point when I get a totally different roster for the Skyranger every month, so many soldiers die).

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 05:21:52 pm »

The only reason for using Stormhawks is because of their greater carry capacity, which comes handy once I'm changing my fleet from using Interceptors to use the Thunderstorms. I couldn't maintain 4 of them to shoot down terror ships, and by the time I have Thunderstorm w. Stormhawks, terror ships are not the only big UFOs I need to deal with without losing my planes (I'm basically at the point when I get a totally different roster for the Skyranger every month, so many soldiers die).

I just checked your LP - good luck with the Antarctica mission ;)

Offline tarsolyger

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 08:09:15 pm »
I just checked your LP - good luck with the Antarctica mission ;)

Thanks man!
I just love these setups where you have to approach the alien / enemy base like this. But there, it was literally the second time when I went there thinking "it'll be undergound, so it doesn't matter if I get there at night" and then the mission  started above ground. Same with that damn Ethereal base in Australia. I ended up throwing an incendiary grenade on myself and losing almost half my crew before giving up in 5-6 turns, but I was drooling over my keyboard thinking what a treat to have a map with both above ground and underground parts!

Love what you're doing, keep up the good work!

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Area 51 beta version 0.963 - updated September 2nd
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2018, 05:33:20 pm »
I've updated the download link with two small fixes for bugs reported