Author Topic: Some misc 40k mod feedback  (Read 22982 times)

Offline zharmad

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: Some misc 40k mod feedback
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2019, 03:55:55 am »
 Hey bulletdesigner and ohartenstein23,  thanks for maintaining and building on this mod! I've been enjoying much of the lore and detail put into it. There's also quite a bit of surprise challenges here and there.

I have a few questions, bug reports, and feedback to post. Spoilered since a couple concern some later content:
Spoiler:
  • I've met my first ork wagon just now, It was cool to see so many boyz piled into the little clown car - but are the turrets supposed to have reactions of 127? It was a nasty surprise to see its battle cannon(?) - STR_ORK_TURRET - one-shot a couple of my flying assault marines From 50 tiles away. The secondary turret with some kind of storm bolter also had a lot of reactions.
     Well, mostly a surprise since the turrets on the IG Chimeras had 1 reaction. Although I did check my Stormravens afterwards, whose turrets have 120 reactions.
  • I also unlocked melta grenades as part of Tactical Strategy. Is it intended that they have no armour damage/penetration?
    I was envisioning a upgraded Krak grenade with something more like radius:2, damage 150, 40% armor damage, 50 damage decay per tile. Asking this because I did throw all 8 melta grenades at said clown car. They did next to no damage to the battle cannon turret since it had 150 under armor.
  • I managed to unlock quad-linked autocannons and quad-linked lascannons as Space Marines. The Codex entry said that the quad-linked weapons are only for ground vehicles - the Marines don't have any that I can see?
  • I also researched twin-linked plasma later on and didn't expect that my flying craft could equip it as the code entry shows a vehicle. I did make one and found that my birds can equip it.
  • Right-clicking on workshops takes you to the manufacturing screen. Right-clicking on Adamantium forges takes you to the storage screen.
  • What kind of weapons are the Slaanesh Daemonette's using? They one-shotted a terminator which their "claw", upon which I head-canoned it immediately as "pressed their tits to his face and he instantly turned to the dark side."

Cheers.

Offline bulletdesigner

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2019, 02:55:38 pm »
hey zharmad, glad you are enjoying the mod  8)

short answers
1- balance, they are immobile, so it´s kind of easy to get around immobilize target´s ( they only got 1 turn to act the rest player can go around)
2- Again since they are immobile we can´t have grenade exploit so under armor got to go up! when melta were made there plan was to be just a better grenade, so i guess it can be revised
3- Guard legacy, no marines don´t have, but we leave there maybe some day may will.
4- twin-linked weapons are standard craft weapons. both vehicles can equip
5- Adamantium forges have storage space guess that overrides manufacture
6- it´s unblockable since it´s "corruption" no armor can save you from tempting word´s (imagine what that girl whispering to his ear), they are ussless if you have assault armor/ also chaplain is immune to conversion but can die

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2019, 04:13:01 pm »
To add to that, I think we can change what right-clicking on the forges does in ruleset.

The daemonette uses the same mechanics as chryssalids.

Offline zharmad

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2019, 01:28:16 am »
There's a bug introduced when upgrading from 018 to 019. The introduced STR_CHAPTER_PURITY isn't enabled by default. Since I have already researched adamantium components, I lost the abilty to produce Tactical and Terminator Armor.

...which string should I add to the save file to manually fix this?

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2019, 05:30:14 am »
You can add STR_CHAPTER_PURITY to the list of discovered research, but first check if you can research it. It should finish with 0 adepts on the project.

Offline zharmad

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2019, 05:22:04 pm »
No I can't research it. Taking Tactical Strategy does not unlock the research opion, it seems.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2019, 09:58:11 pm »
Yep, known bug that we're going to fix. Either add the STR to your discovered projects, or send me your save and I can fix it.

Offline zharmad

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2019, 11:48:13 am »
Added to discovered projects no, thanks.

Offline zharmad

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2019, 05:57:55 pm »
Slowly chugging through the campaign, finally meeting a Khorne scout ship.  I'm appreciating some of the balance decisions between the various crafts and the various weapons. Some values I would personally tweak, but there are still use cases for items like a good old Heavy Bolter throughout the campaign. Here's a bit of running thoughts:
  • The minimum weapon techs to win consistently seem to be lascannons and melta guns. Everything after that start to move into niche uses and nice-to-haves. Yes plasma are generally better than bolters, but lack the scope of the rare bolter/pistol variants. Mastercrafting make up for the damage gap.
  • Flamers stop being critical once Chaos Juggernauts disappear from the scene. They remain useful to screw up the melee AI, but I've tried to not use that - leading to me never manufacturing a Heavy Flamer. I think both flamers could be given spray shot waypoints so that players can lay down a field of flames.
  • I would probably never use hand-held Grav-guns, since in many cases even full Terminators could be either safely picked off with lascannons, or charged with several chainswords/powerfists. Except against Chaos Dreadnaughts, where perhaps I should probably try making a couple of MC Grav-guns just for them. What other juicy targets might I be missing?
  • It's borderline heretical, but assault marines carrying heavy plasma gives an impressive high-ground advantage once you get them to FA > 110 before armour. This was a tactic I used in original XCOM, taking an HE-autocannon 2+ levels up even to Cydonia. I'm waiting for the third side mission to obtain the third piece of data, after getting 6 of the other two pieces. Oh, one beacon flew into the sea and right back up again around the Russian island north of Japan. Probably a bug where it could not land, right after I upgraded to 019 with the globe tweaks.
  • The Hellfire Missile System on the Dreadnaught versus the Missile Launcher on the Centurion Warsuit. The latter doesn't need ammunition made for it, buth e former needs ammo.
  • The refuel rate can really hinder various SpaceMarine <weather><bird> aircraft. It takes 3 days to top up a thunderhawk gunship after a trip around the world, which forces me to juggle between using a drop-pod. This is good that drop-pods are never obsoleted, but you can end up in a situation where the Drop-Pods do 3~5 missions between each thunderhawk trip. ...I've just built a Stormeagle, so maybe that could finally put the Drop-pods to bed?
  • So, I got into a scrap with a Chaos Flying Fortress (Battleship) and ended up with a few injured birds. Dug into some files and wikis trying to track down why the Techmarine Bay won't help my craft repair faster.  ...Turns out they give a bonus to my solder wound recovery time instead. It would be nice if the repair could be accelerated with a facility, but I suppose this is a feature to be implemented by OXCE+ instead?

Thanks.

Offline bulletdesigner

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2019, 03:25:18 pm »
Hey Zarmad

1- Y we are reworking weapons. Lascannon are OP so we are limiting there use next version.
2- Flames are still good vs Small Fry and good use for inaccurate soldiers
3- Again Lascannon are gonna be nerfed so other options are viable
4- Assault marine carrying a heavy plasma is rare by 2 reason´s  (no engouth strength to carry it or low acc) so it can happen but you are using your best solider´s
5- Legacy system form old xcom they are overtank missile launcher are supposed to be one of best weapons in game till Lascannon OP on later versions
6- Preparations rites (oarth good theory) but that way our bird never get´s out of fuel, i don´t think It takes 3 days to top up a thunderhawk gunship after a trip around the world, gotta confirm
7- i Don´t think there is a repair bay option like in apocalypse in script yet

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2019, 11:05:33 pm »
I'll throw in my bit here on a few things:
  • We can't use spray waypoints on flamers because they're arcing weapons. There's a fundamental incompatibility in the code between the waypoints and determining an arc.
  • The heavy flamer does both increased HP and tile damage. It can kill chaos marines in a burst or two, reliably dealing damage through armor. It's one of my favorite weapons.
  • Grav guns are a personal preference thing. Like flamers they damage through armor, but the inaccuracy and cost will put many off the weapon. It's guaranteed damage, and there will always be a niche for that.
  • I've been slowly working on code that would turn assaults' flying into true jump packs. Otherwise, flying shooters with AoE will always be strong, and we've done as much as we want to mitigate this.
  • I'm up to Stormeagles in a campaign myself, but I still use the pods. Near-instant marine delivery is great for easier missions.
  • Repairing craft faster can't be done with a facility in OXCE, we'd need new code for that. Instead, we have the techmarine bay for making the armor and attending to the marines' bionic parts, hence the wound recovery bonus.