Author Topic: Newbe questions  (Read 302578 times)

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
Re: Newbe questions
« Reply #675 on: September 06, 2018, 05:33:18 pm »
I usually have 2 hangers per base for the majority of the game, up to 8-10 in total. The main base will very often run 3 in the first 2 years simply because all the best gals are already there so having your underwater craft there just makes sense, until the number of available experienced/trained gals rises and you can move the underwater crew someplace else.

3 hangers are transports, one for space, underwater, and large capacity craft for general work. Depending on tech level and codex choice you can, reduce this to lower numbers by using multi environment transports, but you usually dont want fewer then 2 cause the micromanagement of everything being on one craft gets aggravating, not to mention risking more gear in your item pile.

The other 5-7 are intercept craft. 1-2 fighters with weak light cannons and thrusters for small ufos, 1 heavy tank craft, 1-2 anti shield interceptors, and 2 anti hull interceptors.

Offline Shrugger

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: September 06, 2018, 06:36:03 pm »
I also spent most of my time in the last play-through playing "find the last ratmen" in my bases.

Are there any tricks to more easily find the last remaining enemies, other than scouring every corner manually, or checking the save files for their positions?

I read something about dogs being able to track enemies. How does that work?

Offline Ves

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: September 06, 2018, 06:51:42 pm »
Don't you get bughunt mode if there are only 2 enemies left?

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: September 06, 2018, 07:19:22 pm »
Dogs basically have an Aye Phone inbuilt. It is the other "hand", the one that does not attack.
It is the vanilla motion detector.

Offline Shrugger

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: September 06, 2018, 08:42:10 pm »
Don't you get bughunt mode if there are only 2 enemies left?

Not sure if it's consistent. Or maybe some unconscious enemies get back up and drop again on the next turn, denying bughunt.

Offline LouisdeFuines

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: September 06, 2018, 08:55:46 pm »
I saw that bughunt seems somewhat related to to amount of reveal of the map.

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: September 06, 2018, 09:00:53 pm »
Max. 2 enemies, at least turn 15, and maybe some VIPs block it? I am not sure.

KZad Bhat

« Reply #682 on: September 06, 2018, 11:00:47 pm »
Don't forget with using the motion scanner. Once you have run it in an area, you press Alt at the battscape and yellow arrows will point out the spaces enemies were spotted on. This only tells you X and Y though, so you have to use a bit of logic to cut down to Z, and the search the possible locations. Works great for base defense, but unless an option is added that lets you put auxiliaries in back, or at least some of them, I don't really want to take dogs into battle. Too easy for low health low armor dogs and cats to get killed if they go out first.
Edit: Speaking of cats. Though two tiles is a short range, their sense can be very helpful. I tested one out in battle against Mercenaries, and easily spotted that last one moving around in the cockpit . . . do to the exact spot he was in. Made it easier to plan a proper attack, knowing he's all that's there. And, cats' sense lets you see facing as well.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 11:02:47 pm by KZad Bhat »

Offline Shrugger

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: September 07, 2018, 08:51:07 pm »
Started a new campaign, got 16 Brainerz ASAP, and making mad cash from infamy.

Problem solved, I guess? Now I'm just waiting for my economy to collapse as soon as anything goes wrong. Running out of prisoners, say.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 09:14:20 pm by Shrugger »

Offline incas

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: September 07, 2018, 08:58:49 pm »
I'm in midgame Piratez right now. I can produce Super Magnums, Super Shooty Guns, Death Blossom SMGs and Custom Sniping Guns. They are all better than any rifle I have except the Lasgun, which I can't make ammo for yet.  I love rifles though. What is supposed to be the rifle for this tech level?

Offline Ridаn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: September 07, 2018, 09:04:51 pm »
I'm in midgame Piratez right now. I can produce Super Magnums, Super Shooty Guns, Death Blossom SMGs and Custom Sniping Guns. They are all better than any rifle I have except the Lasgun, which I can't make ammo for yet.  I love rifles though. What is supposed to be the rifle for this tech level?
Beeline for Smartrifle.

edit: theres also Laser Tommy and Linux SMG variants.

Offline LouisdeFuines

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: September 07, 2018, 09:25:34 pm »
How do I stun a 2x2 sqares robotic unit?

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: September 08, 2018, 01:48:35 am »
Depends on their resistances.  If they're vulnerable to electric, hit them with cattle prods and electric lassos.

Do note that some robotic units (namely tanks, cyberdiscs, and sectopods) are flagged as uncapturable so stunning them will just kill them instead.  Not yet sure if that also applies to the various drones (Academy and Marsec ones).

KZad Bhat

« Reply #688 on: September 08, 2018, 11:55:24 am »
The Academy Drones can be captured, and stun batons and lassos work excellent on knocking them out. You can then disassemble them for parts, including an intact Grav Harness. The Marsec and Mercenary drones, I don't have personal experience with, but I recall them being in the research list for disassembly, implying that they can be captured. Unless Dioxine made them uncapturable and hasn't gotten around to removing them from research.

Offline LouisdeFuines

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: September 08, 2018, 02:57:36 pm »
Ok, got that. Thank you for advice!

So I don`t understand, how the topic for a "living" cyberdisc can be gained. Can human research reveal it maybe?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 03:04:42 pm by LouisdeFuines »