Author Topic: Newbe questions  (Read 302211 times)

KZad Bhat

Re: Newbe questions
« Reply #690 on: September 08, 2018, 03:23:45 pm »
I don't know, I don't recall if I've ever 'captured' a cyberdisc, but I think I have. I know you cannot pick them up, so if you manage to knock one out without destroying it, you have to finish the battle to take it. If it's only achievable as a Get One Free deal, keep getting Academy people, probably some Marsec or Osiron might as well. Especially Academy Engineers would be the most likely.

Remember, if you really need to check, go to the Geoscape, press Q, then Q again to search, and type in 'cyberdisc', and it will show you every research topic with cyberdisc in the name. Click on each in turn, and you can get a list of what's needed directly to research, including a list of prisoners you can get it for free from.

Just note, the Academy Engineer has a lot of GOF articles, including a few unique ones, so to start out your chances of getting any particular research from them is very low, and takes a long time to increase those chances.

Offline LouisdeFuines

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: September 08, 2018, 03:57:08 pm »
@KZad Bhat:
Thank you for the hints. I did every step you told me.
None of the tech-tree topics shows someone, you can get the research "for free".

I`ve also looked into the academy engineer. Got all the topics from him. He doestn`t reveal it.

Next step will be for me, to use EMP-nades on them. Maybe this will help.
Marsec and Osiron are already completely researched by me.

Offline Zippicus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: September 08, 2018, 04:19:12 pm »
The research topic that is unlocked by capturing a cyberdisk (which is not supposed to be possible) is the exact same topic that's unlocked by a cyberdisk wreck, I believe it's just called "cyberdisk examination" or something to that effect.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #693 on: September 08, 2018, 05:01:29 pm »
Yep ,  Im pretty sure that Dioxine has specifically blocked offed stunning things like Cyberdisks and Hovertanks.

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: September 08, 2018, 05:18:14 pm »
I think they are still there just in case someone does somehow still manage to capture one. There is no harm in leaving them in.

Offline LouisdeFuines

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: September 08, 2018, 08:39:08 pm »
The Cyberdisc examination is still locked for me.

Maybe Dioxine should adjust the research tree and remove this prerequisite.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 08:53:29 pm by LouisdeFuines »

Offline incas

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: September 08, 2018, 09:29:26 pm »
Beeline for Smartrifle.

edit: theres also Laser Tommy and Linux SMG variants.

Yes Smartrifles. They are behind Advanced Firearms unfortunately and I never got Omega Rifle. Bad luck I guess.

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: September 09, 2018, 01:51:11 am »
I think they are still there just in case someone does somehow still manage to capture one. There is no harm in leaving them in.

I'm very sure that it's absolutely impossible to get the live cyberdisc research.  Stunning them just kills them even if they don't explode because of their uncapturable flag, the trick of capturing enemies by aborting the mission while they're on exit tiles no longer works, and not a single enemy gives the tech for free unlike with the sectopod.

Offline LouisdeFuines

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: September 09, 2018, 03:07:15 am »
Then Dioxine needs to adjust the tech tree, so that the topic doesn`t appear anymore or better:
Let someone give that research project for free, just like the Sectopod.

Offline Zippicus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: September 09, 2018, 06:42:33 am »
Then Dioxine needs to adjust the tech tree, so that the topic doesn`t appear anymore or better:
Let someone give that research project for free, just like the Sectopod.

He already did adjust the tree, that's why it doesn't matter if you capture one or destroy one, they both give the same thing.  There is no "live" examination and wreck examination, there is only the generic cyberdisk examination which you get from both.  So either you're looking for something that doesn't exist or you don't have the ability to research cyberdisk wrecks yet.

Edit:  Ah I see what you might be hung up on.  The cyberdisk research topic still shows up in the tech tree viewer, if you select it you'll see that it unlocks robotic disassembly (which any robotic thing gives), and the cyberdisk disassembly entry for the manufacturing menu (which you can't use anyways), and gives cyberdisk examination for free (which the wreck gives as well).  So there's no point in having that topic researched.  If it's an OCD thing, don't stress about it, you'll never get 100% research since some topics are codex dependent and you can only research one codex.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 07:16:33 am by Zippicus »

Offline LouisdeFuines

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: September 09, 2018, 12:02:38 pm »
@Zippicus:
I just implement here a screenshot of the tech tree viewer. You will see, that the Cyberdisc Examination still needs the living Cyberdisc.
And yes, I`m a completist.  8)

And another thing: How am I supposed to enter the pyramid on the bounty B mission? Please see my savegame.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 12:22:40 pm by LouisdeFuines »

Offline Shrugger

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: September 09, 2018, 12:04:04 pm »
Hey, did you put that screenshot through a filter or do you somehow have a different font?

Offline incas

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: September 09, 2018, 12:25:03 pm »
Hey, did you put that screenshot through a filter or do you somehow have a different font?

You can change the scaler in the options menu under display filter.

Offline Zippicus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: September 09, 2018, 12:31:30 pm »
@Zippicus:
I just implement here a screenshot of the tech tree viewer. You will see, that the Cyberdisc Examination still needs the living Cyberdisc.
And yes, I`m a completist.  8)

You'll notice that the "cyberdisk examination" topic is dark purple, that means it's completed.  The two entries below it are possible places to get the topic from, you got it completed by researching a wreck.  And like I said above, if you click on the unresearched cyberdisk topic you'll see that the only thing you gain by researching it is a manufacturing option that you can't use.  The wreck is the topic that leads to further research options.

Offline LouisdeFuines

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: September 09, 2018, 12:47:02 pm »
Ok, understood.

Could you please look into my savegame and tell me, how to enter the pyramid?