Author Topic: [OXCE][TC] United Nations Extraterrestrial Combat Command | v0.11.0  (Read 88384 times)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
I gotta complement the mod on how it builds up 1970s ambience. But to that end, it needs more 1970s music, not just in the main menu :)

Offline efrenespartano

• Commander
  • I know a lot about the law and other lawyerings.
    • View Profile
I gotta complement the mod on how it builds up 1970s ambience. But to that end, it needs more 1970s music, not just in the main menu :)

Haha I'm glad you like it. ;D

One of the first things I planed to add was a good soundtrack, but I don't want to make you sick for listening The Rolling Stones, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, etc so many times.

But to get more into the 1970s feeling, I'm going to add a new soundtrack in the next update.

If you have any song that would you like to hear in Battlescape/Geoscape, let me know!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
To avoid too much repetition, I would seek for remixes, like these done by Ninja Tunes.

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
Well, for the Vietnam War era, you can't err by basing it on Apocalypse Now soundtrack and/or something like this, the playlist is there in the first comment.

EDIT: and idk, maybe the original Blues Brothers track would happen to fit, but that's mostly blues and late 70s iirc
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 05:04:46 am by Stoddard »

Offline efrenespartano

• Commander
    • View Profile
To avoid too much repetition, I would seek for remixes, like these done by Ninja Tunes.

A really nice page! Any song in particular?

Well, for the Vietnam War era, you can't err by basing it on Apocalypse Now soundtrack and/or something like this, the playlist is there in the first comment.

EDIT: and idk, maybe the original Blues Brothers track would happen to fit, but that's mostly blues and late 70s iirc

That video was the first I consider for the soundtrack! ;D

The idea about Apocalypse Now is very good, I'm going to check if any song could be useful. Platoon OST is a good option too. Even Battlefield Vietnam.

The Blues Brothers sounds great, but they started in 1976. A nice band, as well.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
If we're talking movie classics, then there's also the Forrest Gump OST.
And maybe Bob Dylan for the Memorial screen? :P

Offline efrenespartano

• Commander
    • View Profile
[WIP][OXCE] United Nations Extraterrestrial Combat Command | v0.2e release!
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2018, 08:48:16 pm »
If we're talking movie classics, then there's also the Forrest Gump OST.
And maybe Bob Dylan for the Memorial screen? :P

Hey! How could I forget Forrest Gump? It has one of the greatest soundtrack ever!

About Bob Dylan, mi fav song is Knocking on Heaven's Door. I'm thinking about adding it as the Memorial... even when it was released in 1973... 7u7

Do you have any song in mind, Solarius?

« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 10:38:05 pm by efrenespartano »

Offline Anon011

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Speaking of 'Nam times music, there is just so much to choose from.
I'd like to suggest few, maybe less known today but still nonetheless classics like
Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth, Buffalo Springfield - Mr Soul
Country Joe & The Fish - Flying High,
Cream - I Feel Free
Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young - Ohio
Deep Purple - Hush
Eddie Floyd - Knock On Wood
Eric Burdon & The Animals - Monterey
Gordon Lightfoot - Black Day in July
The Animals - We've Gotta Get Out Of This Place, The Animals - Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood
Black Sabbath - Hand of Doom

etc... etc... i could go on and on 'coz 'nam era music is my jam. I can upload said songs if you wish so, but i recommend you to give them a listen regardless if they will be used in a mod or not because they are just good songs.

Offline efrenespartano

• Commander
    • View Profile
Speaking of 'Nam times music, there is just so much to choose from.
I'd like to suggest few, maybe less known today but still nonetheless classics like
Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth, Buffalo Springfield - Mr Soul
Country Joe & The Fish - Flying High,
Cream - I Feel Free
Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young - Ohio
Deep Purple - Hush
Eddie Floyd - Knock On Wood
Eric Burdon & The Animals - Monterey
Gordon Lightfoot - Black Day in July
The Animals - We've Gotta Get Out Of This Place, The Animals - Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood
Black Sabbath - Hand of Doom

etc... etc... i could go on and on 'coz 'nam era music is my jam. I can upload said songs if you wish so, but i recommend you to give them a listen regardless if they will be used in a mod or not because they are just good songs.

Whoa! A great list, it seems. I'll listen carefully all of them too, to decide what could be useful! Thanks for sharing, Anon011!

Offline Verontrix

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP][OXCE] United Nations Extraterrestrial Combat Command | v0.2e release!
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2018, 09:40:20 pm »
I have some minor quality of life improvement suggestions fore you to think over.

A minor problem I had with this mod is that it is difficult to tell what weapons each ship can carry. Because each slot is called "Weapon slot 1," "Weapon slot 2," etc...
However this does not need to be the case, it is possible to change what you call each weapon
'I added these to the YAMML
STR_CRAFT_CANNON_ONE: "CANNON-1>{ALT}{0}"
  STR_CRAFT_CANNON_TWO: "CANNON-2>{ALT}{0}"
  STR_CRAFT_LIGHT_MISSLE_ONE: "LIGHT MISSLE-1>{ALT}{0}"
  STR_CRAFT_LIGHT_MISSLE_TWO: "LIGHT MISSLE-2>{ALT}{0}"
  STR_CRAFT_MISSLE_ONE: "MISSLE-1>{ALT}{0}"
  STR_CRAFT_MISSLE_TWO: "MISSLE-2>{ALT}{0}"
  STR_CRAFT_AUX_ONE: "AUXILIARY-1>{ALT}{0}"
  STR_CRAFT_AUX_TWO: "AUXILIARY-2>{ALT}{0}"
  STR_CRAFT_HEAVY_MISSLE_ONE: "HEAVY MISSLE-1>{ALT}{0}"
  STR_CRAFT_HEAVY_MISSLE_TWO: "HEAVY MISSLE-2>{ALT}{0}"
  STR_CRAFT_MULTI_PURPOSE:  "HARDPOINT-4>{ALT}{0}"
  STR_CRAFT_GATTLE: "GATTLE-1>{ALT}{0}"

I then modified each crafts weapon_strings, assigning the relevent string to each craft.

For the phantom I used:

- STR_CRAFT_CANNON_ONE  #covers cannons/gattling guns weapons 0,1
      - STR_CRAFT_LIGHT_MISSLE_ONE #light missles, weapon 2
      - STR_CRAFT_LIGHT_MISSLE_TWO #light missles, weapon 2
      - STR_CRAFT_MULTI_PURPOSE #weapons 2,3,5.

I think this improves gameplay as it makes it easy to see in a glance what each and every craft uses.

Offline efrenespartano

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2018, 07:49:07 am »
I have some minor quality of life improvement suggestions fore you to think over.

A minor problem I had with this mod is that it is difficult to tell what weapons each ship can carry. Because each slot is called "Weapon slot 1," "Weapon slot 2," etc...
However this does not need to be the case, it is possible to change what you call each weapon
'I added these to the YAMML

I think this improves gameplay as it makes it easy to see in a glance what each and every craft uses.

Such a great idea, Verontrix! I'll add it with the new update 0.3. Thank you so much for sharing it.
And if you don't mind, I would like to use them with my other project, The Great War of the Worlds.

Offline Verontrix

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2018, 08:43:45 pm »
Feel free to,

I have another suggestion,

One problem with Unexcom as it currently stands In my opinion is light/medium missiles become useless once you get laser cannons. As Laser cannons have more accuracy, do more damage, and have a longer range then all of hte light/medium missles.

I have 2 suggestions on how to improve air combat
1) non-ufo type craft should only be able to use short range cannon equivalent versions of laser/plasma beam weapons. (the pulse plasma/laser weapons). Giving UFOs an advanatge over non-UFOs
laser cannons (as they rae a cannon type weapon) should do about ~ 45 damage and have a range of 15-20 with a fire rate of 4-7  second reload time (making it a better version of cannon weapons, but still comparable to cannon weapons with both a longer range and more damage).
plasma pulse weapons should do around 60-70 damage and have a similar range, maybe a little longer, with a slower fire rate of 7-16 seconds a shot.

This makes your ships much worse against enemy air craft, as they now have to get closer to deal damage, and deal a lot less damage per shot, which leads to why sugestion 2 makes sense

2) suggestion add mkII and mkIII variants of missles.

mkII should have be more accurate and have a longer range and damage then mkI missles.
(Enough damage to get past the shields of larger alien space craft, say 50-70 damage for sidewinders).
mkII missles should be built using alien alloys, which due to its significantly higher strength per weight ratio allows your mkIIs to be both lighter and more deadly to enemy vessels.

Offline efrenespartano

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2018, 09:56:08 pm »
Feel free to,

I have another suggestion,

One problem with Unexcom as it currently stands In my opinion is light/medium missiles become useless once you get laser cannons. As Laser cannons have more accuracy, do more damage, and have a longer range then all of hte light/medium missles.

I have 2 suggestions on how to improve air combat

Thank you so much for your suggestions, Verontrix, you help me in making this mod better.

I'll definitely add both of them. ;D

The 2nd suggestion actually is planned into 0.3, but due some problem with the storage of my laptop, many files and folders got lost, including parts of other projects. I had to start all over again with the new Tier II-III Crafts Weapons and some new missions, the most importantly the end game research. I could recover some files from Drive and I'm working again. Slowly, but working. Thanks for your patience:)

Offline Mitra Lightbringer

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2018, 04:25:23 pm »
Oh, you put me in the credits. Thank you. I haven't been around X-com some time now, so I came to see how mod is progressing, and to play with it a bit. When is 0.3 coming out?

Offline efrenespartano

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2018, 05:32:52 pm »
Oh, you put me in the credits. Thank you. I haven't been around X-com some time now, so I came to see how mod is progressing, and to play with it a bit. When is 0.3 coming out?

Hi, Mitra! I'm glad you came back.

I have slowly recovered the resources lost a couple of weeks ago. Since this is the final week of my semester, I can have version 0.3 ready in a couple of weeks :) If you have any suggestions, do not hesitate to do it. :D