Author Topic: [HELP]Fix my sprite palette problems with PS and others (now with to-do list)  (Read 1289 times)

Offline FeruEnzeru[RETIRED/I QUIT]

• Colonel
  • retired, because of Meridian and his followers. 👎
    • View Profile
TO-DO LIST FOR TODAY OR TOMORROW:
1: Work on vanilla map node info i'm collecting with MVII.
2: Give paint.net sprite making a try because it's on the bad list
3(OPTIONAL OR NOW): Remaster and remake my maps from January to March.
4: Try out IrfanView to see i can fix my sprite (I have to read/look at efrenespartano's post on one of my threads about fixing my palettes.
5: Work on some Walker Maps with a custom MCD that would have some of the vanilla UFO tiles including recolored ones (Because i need to remake my stuff right this minute)
6(OPTIONAL OR NEXT WEEK): Work on more sprite and palette collecting with Paint.net (I know Photoshop has their own color picker tool, but i like paint.net's color picker tool so it help choose the colors of the human and alien tech weapons and equipment)
7: and i think that's it. :-\

=
After i was testing my recolored rifle/pistol clips and basebit/inticon sprites on OXCE+, my craft weapon basebits worked fine (But not the inticons and satellie because the colors are messed up).
SEE IMAGES:

My inticon sprite colors and palette's messed up and not working.

My BIGOBs are not working too.

It's because my version of Photoshop is no good because it does not know how to open up GIFs and choose the UFO or TFTD palettes.

So i've decided to choose a better version of Photoshop that works with OXC colors, pixels, sprites, images and palettes along with all of the programs but GNU GPL ones (well i've a read a message from someone on reddit about GNU GPL programs being okay and legal, and i decided to test them out for a half good reason because he/she's right about them! :)) on the good list.

I haven't tried GIMP because it's on the bad list (I have to get GIMP because of what Otto said about it since January of this year).

Can you help me out solve my problem with testing my sprites either with Falko's Tools (I don't know how to use Falko's Tools because it messes up the colors for testing them, or it's either the palette or the color issues with converting the sprite's palette (I'm still using the UFO94 palettes).
If not, i'm going to be in "Messed-Up and Broken Palette" hell.

Anyway, i'm going to be trying out the GNU GPL art programs (mtpaint and evilpixie because i know a friend of mine won't recommend them, but i'm going to try these out to see if it helps) just to see if it's safe or not.
Also, evilpixie made my Rifle Acid Clip sprite testing upside down, i don't know why. :o

Remember,
Help me out here with some options and examples with palette codes for Falko's Tools and OXCE+.

For now on, thanks in advance! Cheers. :D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 12:59:02 am by FeruEnzeru »

Offline efrenespartano

• Commander
  • I know a lot about the law and other lawyerings.
    • View Profile
Re: [HELP]Fix my sprite palette problems with PS and others
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 06:32:17 pm »

After i was testing my recolored rifle/pistol clips and basebit/inticon sprites on OXCE+, my craft weapon basebits worked fine (But not the inticons and satellie because the colors are messed up).
SEE IMAGES:

My inticon sprite colors and palette's messed up and not working.

My BIGOBs are not working too.

It's because my version of Photoshop is no good because it does not know how to open up GIFs and choose the UFO or TFTD palettes.

So i've decided to choose a better version of Photoshop that works with OXC colors, pixels, sprites, images and palettes along with all of the programs but GNU GPL ones (well i've a read a message from someone on reddit about GNU GPL programs being okay and legal, and i decided to test them out for a half good reason because he/she's right about them! :)) on the good list.

I haven't tried GIMP because it's on the bad list (I have to get GIMP because of what Otto said about it since January of this year).

Can you help me out solve my problem with testing my sprites either with Falko's Tools (I don't know how to use Falko's Tools because it messes up the colors for testing them, or it's either the palette or the color issues with converting the sprite's palette (I'm still using the UFO94 palettes).
If not, i'm going to be in "Messed-Up and Broken Palette" hell.

Anyway, i'm going to be trying out the GNU GPL art programs (mtpaint and evilpixie because i know a friend of mine won't recommend them, but i'm going to try these out to see if it helps) just to see if it's safe or not.
Also, evilpixie made my Rifle Acid Clip sprite testing upside down, i don't know why. :o

For now on, thanks in advance! Cheers. :D

Hello there, FeruEnzeru!

I think you should change to a different image editor.

I use Paint.NET for drawing stuff (craft/weapon/armor sprites, copy & paste images, etc) and then I convert the images using IrfanView. It's free and very easy to use. You just need to get the correct palette from another mod and save it, then apply it! Super easy!

I know that you asked for help with Falko's tools, they are super useful, but I prefer this way. In my opinion, it's better.

If you want, I can take a few screenshots when I return to home, I'm working right now. ;D

Enviado desde mi Blade A510 mediante Tapatalk

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 11:48:13 pm »
Hello there, FeruEnzeru!
Hello, efrenespartano. :)
I think you should change to a different image editor.

I use Paint.NET for drawing stuff (craft/weapon/armor sprites, copy & paste images, etc) and then I convert the images using IrfanView. It's free and very easy to use. You just need to get the correct palette from another mod and save it, then apply it! Super easy!
Yeah, i think that would be a yes to change a different program than Photoshop.

Paint.net's on the bad list (Well you should read the OP of moriarty's image editors / graphics programs thread involving the good list and the bad list of image editors / graphic programs), but that's okay, i always use its color picker tool to help me choose/collect the colors from the UFO94 palettes (bigobs, floorobs, handobs, basebits, inticons, etc) such as the bigobs, inticons and basebits.

I used the free version from the getpaint.net site instead of the windows store version.

I've never tried IrfanView, Meridian sometimes use this program for fixing palettes.

I haven't got Aseprite since my birthday was over (I want it so bad so that i could try a Windows 10 compatible version of Aseprite that works on Windows 10, probably the latest or updated version Aseprite. I need that 10 dollar license for Aseprite instead of without it).

That would mean i'll start redrawing my PNGs including GIFs from Photoshop and any art program i use that is not paint.net.

I'll get IrfanView maybe after i get my Discord account tomorrow.
I know that you asked for help with Falko's tools, they are super useful, but I prefer this way. In my opinion, it's better.
I was trying use Falko's Palette/Sprite converter to try fixing my PNG or GIF sprites, and it won't help me fix my correct colors from the images i've drew and recolored on Photoshop including any art programs i use that are GNU GPL or not GNU GPL programs.
If you want, I can take a few screenshots when I return to home, I'm working right now. ;D
Okay! I'll wait for your screenshots of your stuff like on any art program you use so you can post them to this topic after you return.
I'll see to it. :)

Thank you for your reply. :D I'll be busy with stuff like collecting map nodes from vanilla maps with MVII, and stuff like scheduling a day where i can get a Discord account (and use Discord via Opera VPN or a different VPN) and other stuff like working on Pistol and Rifle clip recolors (HE, INC, Tracer, Bluescreen, Redscreen, Acid, Alien Alloy, E-115, etc).
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 01:24:03 am by FeruEnzeru »

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 12:28:28 am »
I haven't got Aseprite since my birthday was over (I want it so bad so that i could try a Windows 10 compatible version of Aseprite that works on Windows 10, probably the latest or updated version Aseprite. I need that 10 dollar license for Aseprite instead of without it).

Asesprite got forked into LibreSprite last year.

I think a free .exe for win10 should be googlable up.

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 01:03:48 am »
Asesprite got forked into LibreSprite last year.

I think a free .exe for win10 should be googlable up.
LibreSprite? Okay! :)

I'll check it out on GitHub and read its contents first, then google it up to find it (I'll get it later).

Thanks for your post, Stoddard! :D

EDIT:
I'll read the LICENSE right now.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 01:07:23 am by FeruEnzeru »

Offline efrenespartano

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 01:40:43 am »

Paint.net's on the bad list (Well you should read the OP of moriarty's image editors / graphics programs thread involving the good list and the bad list of image editors / graphic programs), but that's okay, i always use its color picker tool to help choose and collect the colors from the UFO94 palettes (bigobs, floorobs, handobs, basebits, inticons, etc) such as the bigobs, inticons and basebits.

I used the free version from the getpaint.net site instead of the windows store version.

I've already readed moriarty's post, but I've used this program for a long time when I edited images for other mods of other games, so I have already gotten used to using it. And yes, I know that it ruins the palette of the game, that's why I use other programs to apply the correct palettes.

I've never tried IrfanView, Meridian sometimes use this program for fixing palettes.

Yeah, it was from him that I downloaded IrfanView, I noticed that he used it when he explained a question I asked him about palettes.

That would mean i'll start redrawing my PNGs including GIFs from Photoshop and any art program i use that is not paint.net.

I'll get IrfanView maybe after i get my Discord account tomorrow.

Great! You won't regret it. Also, you should check this this useful link, Hobbes recommended it to me when I asked him for help for some sprites. :)

Thank you for your reply. :D
You're welcome!

Attached the screenshots that I commented to you. This is a brief explanation of how the palettes are applied:
1.- It is Paint.NET, a somewhat old version, but functional. Save your file in any format you like, .png or .gif
2.- It is an example of the Basescape palette.
3.- To add a palette you must select the option "Image" and then "Palette", then "Import"
4.- Then, just choose the palette you need and that's it!

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 08:06:11 am »
Sorry for the late reply, efrenespartano. I was busy with other things like playing games and getting something really important to get.
Replying now.
Attached the screenshots that I commented to you. This is a brief explanation of how the palettes are applied:
1.- It is Paint.NET, a somewhat old version, but functional. Save your file in any format you like, .png or .gif
2.- It is an example of the Basescape palette.
3.- To add a palette you must select the option "Image" and then "Palette", then "Import"
4.- Then, just choose the palette you need and that's it!
I see.
Saw the images after reading your post, already got the IrfanView yesterday.

Still, where are the palettes for UFO94 and TFTD95?  ??? Are there not any downloadable UFO and TFTD palettes on the forums so that i can fix my sprites' colors.

Speaking of palettes, efrenespartano, i really do not have the palettes for UFO94 and TFTD95 since i've downloaded IrfanView yesterday.
https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/PALETTES.DAT
UFO has 5 palettes (GeoScape, BaseScape, Graphs, Research and Tactical Palettes) TFTD (Well i don't do TFTD) has 3 palettes (GeoScape World, BaseScape/Research and Graphs Palettes), and TFTD Tactical has 4 palettes (Land & Inventory Displays, Shallow Water, Medium Depths and Deep Sea palettes).

I think i choose probably the UFO basescape or battlescape palettes from my OpenXCOM Extended+ or OpenXCom folders after redrawing my sprites again with paint.net that way i try fixing my colors while i start reading Reply #5 again to see if that helps if i can get the right palette and colors for my rifle and pistol clips. :)

Does anybody have their own UFO94 and TFTD95 Battle PAL files here on the forums so that i can try fixing my colors for the recolored Rifle and Pistol clips i've did weeks ago?

EDIT:
@efrenespartano, what save configuration i should choose on paint.net with PNGs or GIFs (I do PNGs), i'm editing the rifle clip sprite in order to make the HE clip.
Auto-detect, 32-bit, 24-bit or 8-bit? :)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 08:29:28 am by FeruEnzeru »

Offline efrenespartano

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 04:51:43 pm »
Sorry for the late reply, efrenespartano. I was busy with other things like playing games and getting something really important to get.
Replying now.I see.
Saw the images after reading your post, already got the IrfanView yesterday.

Don't worry, pal.

Still, where are the palettes for UFO94 and TFTD95?  ??? Are there not any downloadable UFO and TFTD palettes on the forums so that i can fix my sprites' colors.

Solarius Scorch uploaded the palettes for Photoshop some time ago, I think I have them. I can look for them, if you want.

Speaking of palettes, efrenespartano, i really do not have the palettes for UFO94 and TFTD95 since i've downloaded IrfanView yesterday.
https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/PALETTES.DAT
UFO has 5 palettes (GeoScape, BaseScape, Graphs, Research and Tactical Palettes) TFTD (Well i don't do TFTD) has 3 palettes (GeoScape World, BaseScape/Research and Graphs Palettes), and TFTD Tactical has 4 palettes (Land & Inventory Displays, Shallow Water, Medium Depths and Deep Sea palettes).

I have a folder with the palettes that I use. I'm going to adjunt them for you. :)

I have and use four, Geoscape, Battlescape, Ufopedia and Basescape, but you will find eight. This is because I always forget what palette is the correct to use and I have "Battlescape tanks" and "Battlescape weapons", even if they are the same. xD Just to quick recognition. About the TFTD palettes, I don't have any.

@efrenespartano, what save configuration i should choose on paint.net with PNGs or GIFs (I do PNGs), i'm editing the rifle clip sprite in order to make the HE clip.
Auto-detect, 32-bit, 24-bit or 8-bit? :)

I always use Auto-detect, works for me.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 04:56:46 pm by efrenespartano »

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2018, 12:29:01 am »
Solarius Scorch uploaded the palettes for Photoshop some time ago, I think I have them. I can look for them, if you want.

I have a folder with the palettes that I use. I'm going to adjunt them for you. :)

I have and use four, Geoscape, Battlescape, Ufopedia and Basescape, but you will find eight. This is because I always forget what palette is the correct to use and I have "Battlescape tanks" and "Battlescape weapons", even if they are the same. xD Just to quick recognition. About the TFTD palettes, I don't have any.

I always use Auto-detect, works for me.
I see, but okay! Already downloaded yours from your post on my thread and downloaded Scorch's palettes from his reply to the Palettes for XCOM in GIMP/Paintshop format thread today.

Thanks in advance, efrenespartano. I'll try Auto-detect on paint.net now! :)

EDIT:
@efrenespartano
Hi again! I've tried the four steps from your images with pdnt and IV, tried using pdnt, tried using IrfanView's import palette (I dunno which one i was trying to import and use to correct/fix my sprites' palette), tried editing one of my rulesets from one of my test mods (do not upload and post the forums), then opened up OXCE+, third was opened up the UFOpedia with the U key, and then the correct colors to match the Rifle Clip's magazine (not bullet) colors are not working for me. :(

I know your plan's working, but it kinda failed for me. :(

In the other hand... this is the Rifle HE Clip i've did days ago after recoloring the regular Rifle Clip to have a bullet color of black and dark red.

Colors are below here. V
Code: [Select]
RGB Number Codes (//):
Black:
26/26/26
Dark Gray:
41/41/41
49/49/49
66/66/66
82/82/82
Dark Red:
116/12/12
Gray:
107/107/107
123/123/123
140/140/140

Which palette do you use to fix and correct your sprites' palette colors with PDNT on IrfanView? "Battlescape", "Basescape", "Battlescape tanks" and "Battlescape weapons"?

I dunno which palette i should edit in order to correct the Rifle HE Clip's color to match the magazine (not bullets) color of the regular Rifle clip.

Anything for Plan B or Plan C? :)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 08:20:16 am by FeruEnzeru »

Offline efrenespartano

• Commander
    • View Profile
Hi again, FeruEnzeru!

Sorry for the delay, I didn't notice that you edited your post.

Well, my solution is to pick some bigOb from a mod that has the color that you look for. Or you can download the palettes from the Ufopaedia page. The palette 5, "Tactical", it's the one that you need. Just pick the color and use it.

The palette that I use for guns is "Battlescape Weapons".

For plan B, I'm thinking about just copy&paste the original clip over the new one. Remember, Paint.Net screws the palette, that's because you need to palette it with IrfanView.

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Hi again, FeruEnzeru!

Sorry for the delay, I didn't notice that you edited your post.
It's okay, my new friend. I have to edit it because of plan failed.
Well, my solution is to pick some bigOb from a mod that has the color that you look for. Or you can download the palettes from the Ufopaedia page. The palette 5, "Tactical", it's the one that you need. Just pick the color and use it.
I've just saved the "5_BattleScapePal" as a download to my pictures library so that i can check it out.

The important part about a rifle clip is the magazine (not the bullets' colors)'s colors and palette (gray colors), but the Rifle Alloy Clip in Hobbes and Scorch's mods has a purple magazine meaning the clip is reinforced with Alien Alloys so that clip won't get destroyed by explosives. :)

That's why i have to keep rifle clips i've recoloring on PS's magazine color the same as the original so i try knowing what the differences between a regular magazine and a alien alloy reinforced magazine.
The palette that I use for guns is "Battlescape Weapons".
I see. Your PAL files seemed to be interesting palette files for your guns and armor reminds me of the original UFO94 palettes, except with different colors that will work on OXC and OXCE+. :)

Maybe i should try finding threads and topics that have a zip file called "palettes.zip/palettes.rar" so that i can learn what issue's my own. ???
For plan B, I'm thinking about just copy&paste the original clip over the new one. Remember, Paint.Net screws the palette, that's because you need to palette it with IrfanView.
Your Plan B sounds like a great one.
I've copy the BIGOBS02.GIF image with Firefox, then opened up Paint.Net, then pasted the file from my clipboard, then opened up the 5_BattleScapePal.Png image, then figured out an idea like using pdnt's color picker tool (I think the palette might have different RGB numbers than original sprites like RGB 66/69/66 instead of 66/66/66 from original sprites), then used pencil to draw it, then saved it.

But i'll try opening up IV maybe at 2:00 AM (Whoa, it's starting to become midnight in my country), then use Battlescape_Weapons from your palette files to see if that helps. :)

I'm so impressed about a good Plan B to work. ^.^

@efrenespartano
Anyway, i gotta to do some more MVII and MCDEdit work maybe at 3:00 AM and play one of my favorite Toni Braxton songs i keep listening to everyday (Probably Find Me A Man which helps my mood to feel better while i do work stuff on my computers and my accounts from other sites) because i need to start collecting node information from the UFO and TFTD maps (I've tried converting TFTD nodes with TFTD ranks to UFO ones, and it worked meaning it changes the TFTD ranks to UFO ranks) so that i can learn the nodes from vanilla maps (I liked to find nodes from any maps that are not vanilla UFO/TFTD maps, but i'll think of plans to find out why).

Please check out my new topic "[BIGOB PALETTES/COLORS]What BLCK and VDG colors i should find in palettes", i need black and very dark gray colors for a concept for sci-fi tech weapons i'm working on with PS and other art programs suitable for 2D xcom pixel images involving a T1 Gauss Clips called Mag Clips (aka. Magnetic which is T1 Gauss just like the name Mag from XCOM2016-17) so that i might think of something nicer than that.

I think Tactical might be a recommended palette for bigOb images (If it works like a charm with different RGB numbers than the original sprite RGB numbers). ;)

EDIT:
Tried Plan B, tested the sprite after using "Battlescape_Weapons" with IV to my "Rifle_HE_Clip_from_Scratch" PNG image, then testing the sprite with OXCE+, and now it's same issue just like last time with plan A.

Plan B failed badly. >o< I guess i was right about Paint.Net screwing the palette since it was from the bad list of sprite/image editing programs. Now it was starting to get harder for me to paletting PDNT images with IV unless i have to ask Meridian or someone who uses IrfanView and art programs suitable for XCOM sprites to help me learn how to apply/fix a palette with that program for Adobe-PS, PDNT, GIMP and other sprite/image editing programs so that it will make my sprites' correct colors work properly.

Thanks for your advice and help, Efrenes, i was trying to learn, but i did tried hard (No offense to you). *hugs efrenespartano* I'll try learning harder and harder next time instead unless there's watchable tutorial videos how to do OpenXCOM sprites and palettes that can be workable for OXCE+ stuff (Unless i figure why the palettes for my sprites from PS including PDNT's colors and palette not working properly).

Oh! And one other thing... i'll be waiting for your version of the Rifle HE Clip i've need to see tomorrow from the reply during the sunlight while in North America date of time. Hope you'll have a good day here on the forums then, good friend of mine. ;)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 10:03:21 am by FeruEnzeru »