Author Topic: TV Tropes  (Read 9904 times)

KZad Bhat

Re: TV Tropes
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2018, 12:11:54 pm »
I assume the engine is the same; so why would there be much work? I can imagine one or two articles may be missing or have a different name, but is there a systemic problem?

They did change wiki engines as well, though I don't know how much difference that makes at markup level between the two. And if the articles are not named precisely the same, you still have to redo the link even with the same engine.

And khade, TVTropes can work perfectly fine for most of OpenXCom . . . but imagine those mods going crazy over XPiratez!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2018, 02:38:28 pm »
They did change wiki engines as well, though I don't know how much difference that makes at markup level between the two. And if the articles are not named precisely the same, you still have to redo the link even with the same engine.

Even so, it sounds like a simple job.
Last weekend I made Ufopaedia articles for almost 200 armours. Yesterday I gave all of them unique list order numbers. Changing link format in a text article seems trivial in comparison. ;)

And khade, TVTropes can work perfectly fine for most of OpenXCom . . . but imagine those mods going crazy over XPiratez!

Piratez are only 15+. TV Tropes aren't kid only now, are they?
(And the Piratez article is perfectly fine.)

KZad Bhat

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2018, 06:17:38 am »
They've apparently been edging out a lot of sexual content. One of the bits of censorship, though it's rather spotty. But then, so is all censorship.

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2018, 07:21:38 am »
I think as long as Piratez is vague about how depraved the pirates actually are as well as other factions, it's going to continue to be acceptable.  And I imagine it's not going to stop being vague since that bit is very much player headcannon and player action rather than lore.

It's not a bad site, I just roll my eyes and sigh at them every once in a while.  I'm from the States, and part of a culture that is generally seen as prudish, and I think they put too much emphasis on protecting people from sexual things, and not enough on violence.

However, it looks like Steam is planning on relaxing their rules regarding censorship, though I guess that's very of subject.

KZad Bhat

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2018, 06:39:31 am »
Vagueness does help get around censorship, but didn't Dioxine confirm it's official canon that the Ubers revert to Lolis if they don't get access to Hellerium regularly? And the images that admittedly don't go on trope sites also helps to establish quite a bit as genuine canon.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2018, 07:59:56 pm »
Vagueness does help get around censorship, but didn't Dioxine confirm it's official canon that the Ubers revert to Lolis if they don't get access to Hellerium regularly?

Yes, it's canon, but what does it have to do with the subject?

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2018, 09:09:17 am »
My mental image was more teenage, like late teenage.  Especially since the normal Ubers look like they're at least in their twenties.  But there isn't any problem with that particular idea, there's a trope for that and it isn't even risqué.  I think it had a better name at some point, but TVtropes currently calls it Sleep Mode Size.