aliens

Author Topic: Looking for a new book series to read?  (Read 9739 times)

The_Funktasm

Re: Looking for a new book series to read?
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2018, 04:23:13 pm »
Neuromancer and the assorted Gibson novels that go with it. Also by extension Johnny Mnemonic.

Offline mwilde

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2019, 04:20:02 pm »
Can agree with the Hyperion cantos by Dan Simmons.

Other good Sci-Fi series of note:

The Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson. Written in the 90s, it's a mostly "hard science" vision of the colonisation of Mars. Some of the stuff is a bit dated, but still a good read.

The Dune series by Frank Herbert. Probably one of the most iconic Sci-Fi series ever written. Basically a must read (at least the first 3-4 books) for any fan. Haven't read the "new" books written by his son and Kevin J. Anderson, but they don't get good reviews.

The Commonwealth series by Peter F Hamilton. Fantastic setting, though I have a love-hate relationship with some of his characters. Skip the "prequel" Misspent Youth unless you're a competitionist, and the last two, The Chronicle of the Fallers is very low tech for a Sci-Fi story.

The Culture series by Ian M Banks. Just started it myself, but it comes highly recommended, and I've enjoyed it immensely so far.

If you're up for some classics, then Issac Asimov's Foundation series and Robot series are great, if you can get past the liberal use of "atomics". It's a lot of fun reading the old short stories in both series from the 50s and 60s, and then see how he merges them in his novels of the 80s.

If you like Star Wars, I can highly recommend many of the series from the 90s, most notably the Thrawn Trillogy and Kevin J. Anderson's Jedi stories.

Can't remember of any other Sci-Fi series that I've read off hand, but this should keep you occupied for a few months. :D

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2019, 04:56:03 pm »
If you are able to read in german, i strongly recommend Perry Rhodan.
You can read for years =).

Currently at Silverbook 72 from 120+. :D

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2019, 07:55:40 pm »
Sorry, not meaning to be rude, but the Mars Trilogy was literally the worst sci-fi book I have ever picked up.
Yes, it is reasonably well grounded in natural sciences, but the rest is horrible. Especially social sciences.
Plus, I've seen more realistic, engaging and human characters in pulp stories.

I dislike Dune for being pretentious and much less refined than it aspires to be, but it has good points.

Offline Ikara

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
    • Dianabol Review
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2019, 03:26:45 pm »
I've been enjoying this book series:  Galaxy's Edge for quite some time.  It's available on Amazon and Kindle Unlimited.  It's not quite XCOM, but it's really good.  It has a more of a Star Wars feel to it because there are some sarcastic references taking jabs at the SW universe occasionally.  The best parts are when they focus on "The Legion" and their exploits.

KTF!

This was the first book series that I read when I purchased my first Kindle and honestly, I just loved it. I definitely recommend it to everyone.