aliens

Author Topic: [Answered] Where is the "Predict UFO Trajectory" option in OXCE+?  (Read 4376 times)

Offline Mechasaurian

• Sergeant
  • Imperial SpecOps
    • View Profile
What the title says.

This is one of my favourite features about the OpenXCom Nightlies - an option for Interceptors to anticipate UFO paths and fly ahead to cut them off. I could in theory accomplish this manually via waypoints, but this would be tedious busywork. This makes interception of UFOs a continent away very feasible.

So it puzzles me that, upon loading up OXCE+ and looking at the Geoscape options, this feature no longer seems to be present.

What gives?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 05:13:59 pm by Meridian »

Offline Yataka Shimaoka

• Colonel
  • I'm the trouble maker
    • View Profile
Re: [OXCE+] Where is the "Predict UFO Trajectory" option?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 04:56:33 pm »
It was removed from oxce+, due to performance issues, good thing it was removed though

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 05:07:09 pm »
More than just performance issues, OXCE+ has a feature where UFOs can target your craft and attack them - I think the predict UFO trajectory option either caused the game to crash or made it so that the interception never started when the UFO got close to your craft, so Meridian removed this option.

Offline Mechasaurian

• Sergeant
  • Imperial SpecOps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 05:10:15 pm »
So, basically, it did not play nice with one of OXCE+'s new features and thus had to be removed? That is a shame.

Is the "UFO hunts Interceptors" option feature enabled by default, or does it require mods to be activated?

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 05:14:17 pm »
It's a mod-able tag on UFOs and specific waves of UFO missions, all of the information on the feature is somewhere in this thread.  Few mods use it as it's fairly recent, but you can see it in action in X-Com Files, Tech-Comm, and the 40k mod.

Offline Mechasaurian

• Sergeant
  • Imperial SpecOps
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 05:32:41 pm »
It's a mod-able tag on UFOs and specific waves of UFO missions, all of the information on the feature is somewhere in this thread.  Few mods use it as it's fairly recent, but you can see it in action in X-Com Files, Tech-Comm, and the 40k mod.
Well, that's...a bit frustrating. Something I like phased out for a mechanic I probably won't see used.

I like the  quality of life changes provided by OXCE+, but I like the mechanics it implements (often without an opt-out toggle rather less. Particularly stuff like soldiers dying of fatal wounds even after winning the engagement, which is not something I found documented in the readmes or on this forum.

If I wanted OXCE+'s QoL changes without game mechanics changes, what could I do? Does OXCE (without the "+") provide this option?

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 05:38:37 pm »
Many of the QoL changes, especially anything GUI-related, are not part of OXCE - Yankes' vision with OXCE is that it provides interesting new ruleset features but not many visual changes.  Many of the new mechanics you see and possibly don't like are part of adding these new features - the only way you'd get the one without the other would be to start writing your own branch of the code.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 05:44:58 pm »
More than just performance issues, OXCE+ has a feature where UFOs can target your craft and attack them - I think the predict UFO trajectory option either caused the game to crash or made it so that the interception never started when the UFO got close to your craft, so Meridian removed this option.

Actually, it was removed only because of performance issues (and other bugs also present in the nightlies).

It would work with UFOs attacking craft too.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 10:04:03 pm »
Well, that's...a bit frustrating. Something I like phased out for a mechanic I probably won't see used.

I like the  quality of life changes provided by OXCE+, but I like the mechanics it implements (often without an opt-out toggle rather less. Particularly stuff like soldiers dying of fatal wounds even after winning the engagement, which is not something I found documented in the readmes or on this forum.

If I wanted OXCE+'s QoL changes without game mechanics changes, what could I do? Does OXCE (without the "+") provide this option?
In 99% cases OXCE+ work same as OXC, and probably biggest culprit of this lats 1% is OXCE :>
e.g. In normal game when unit is stun then explosion kill instantly unit if "corpse" item is destroyed, in OXCE you still need damage unit to kill it (and explosions do damage stunned units).

Offline beng

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: [Answered] Where is the "Predict UFO Trajectory" option in OXCE+?
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2023, 02:10:50 pm »
Could the "Predict UFO Trajectories" option be added back to OXCE? It is one of the things I prefer about OXC over OXCE. It did not cause any noticeable performance issues in OXC so why is it doing so in OXCE?

If it causes performance issues because someone is playing it on a 1990's 80286 CPU with 640K of RAM then let them leave it off in the options, but let us who are playing it on modern computers have the choice to use it please.

Screen shot from OXC:

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [Answered] Where is the "Predict UFO Trajectory" option in OXCE+?
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2023, 03:44:00 pm »
No.

And it is causing same issues in OXC too.
And also on newest PCs.

Depends on how complicated the geoscape situation is.