aliens

Author Topic: [MOD-0.99J] - Weapons Detailed Description  (Read 8712 times)

Offline FG

• Colonel
    • View Profile
[MOD-0.99J] - Weapons Detailed Description
« on: May 05, 2018, 06:13:54 pm »
As I respectfully disagree with some of the latest changes (which make a little sense in terms of usability and core idea behind researches) we now have this little mod  :D

This mod brings back detailed description of the weapons that was previously removed from the game in 0.99J update.

LINK: http://spacesim.net/xpiratez/mods/FG_WeaponsDetailedDescription-1.0-0.99J.zip
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 07:10:59 pm by FG »

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [MOD-0.99J] - Weapons Detailed Description
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 06:21:47 pm »
It was not removed, it was just moved to a separate section (click on button ANAL).

Offline FG

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 06:36:26 pm »
It was not removed, it was just moved to a separate section (click on button ANAL).
Yep. It was removed from item description, not from detailed under-hood stats view. That FORCE players to check every item, Invest even more time for that to see all debug info, of things that they don't need to know about.

I found that those changes may have an opposite effect (from original design "point of view").
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 06:40:50 pm by FG »

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 06:42:01 pm »
Yep. It was removed from item description, not from detailed under-hood stats view.

Well, good luck... be prepared that the descriptions you have re-added will not be accurate... the item stats change quite often and maintaining them in ufopedia description was becoming inhumane.

Also, all stats that were exposed are what was basically in the description before... the real under-the-hood stats are still hidden by default.

I discussed what to expose and what not with the modders for several days... and I still accept feedback of course.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 06:47:35 pm by Meridian »

Offline FG

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 06:46:53 pm »
Well, good luck.
Thx.

It's not the easiest way and i will try to make it "up-to-date". For some time at least :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 06:58:45 pm »
The reason behind adding this feature was that the previous model has finally became untenable. With hundreds of items, adding detailed descriptions became far too encumbering, making adding and changing weapons problematic, time consuming, and full of errors anyway. Also, with all these formulas, translations became a horrible chore - it's writing the same redundant text upon redundant text, but now in every language on Earth.
So, the hand-typed stats had to go, period. Either we use the extra info window, or we just ignore secondary stats - have fun diving through the rulesets.
But I wish you all the best with your mod. If you really want this (very ungrateful) role, then it is a good thing!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 09:18:26 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 08:42:55 pm »
Thanks, FG.  I think I like the mod.  I still go under the hood for things, but seeing which skills are needed and bonuses up front is nice. 

However, as someone who tries to maintain different mods in synch with the releases, I understand the challenge and the pain.  Therefore, I would completely understand if this is too much to keep up with.

Offline Zharkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2018, 10:24:33 pm »
I liked the detailed descriptions. Switching to ANAL is a PITA (intended).

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2018, 10:38:56 pm »
Nice pun.
And I'm sure the button description is completely intended too :)

Anyway, we could discuss bringing some of the stats on the front screen.... but they need to be CAREFULLY selected... 3 being absolute maximum.
(Good) Suggestions welcome.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2018, 10:46:14 pm »
(Good) Suggestions welcome.

For me, damage formulas :)
Even adding an asterisk to the standard damage would help (it means, "check the ANAL").

Offline Ashghan

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2018, 11:41:19 pm »
I would say the "as before" stats would be good -> Skill (hit formula) + Damage bonus calculation. This would give a general category + quick reminder of how good/bad a weapon is. Third 'stat' would be "SPECIALS (or MORE INFO) >>> SEE ANAL", for any applicable weapons.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2018, 11:50:03 pm »
Just to give a bit of background to see why it's not easy:
- there are 2 skill formulas, not just one (firearm formula and melee formula)
- there are also 2 damage bonus formulas
- and "special" doesn't even mean anything, there is no such thing... or if you wish it's a collection of 50+ other attributes

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2018, 12:06:49 am »
These looked good and simple only because they were manually edited to look good. But manual edition is a huge burden, as you perhaps can imagine. It has became unsustainable, and the neccessity to do so is gone now.

Offline FG

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2018, 12:27:51 am »
These looked good and simple only because they were manually edited to look good. But manual edition is a huge burden, as you perhaps can imagine. It has became unsustainable, and the neccessity to do so is gone now.

I understand why they are gone, but they was way too good. Too good to just drop them away without ever saying goodbye :'(

Offline bouchacha

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2018, 02:59:29 am »
What about adding something more opaque to the description? For example the Barbaric Ax can simply say:

POWER BONUS: Strength, Melee

and if you really want the exact formula you can dive down. This should hopefully be easier to maintain in the long run while also still communicating the very important scaling feature (some weapons are useless without it).