Author Topic: Paint.net and OpenXCOM  (Read 3040 times)

Offline Keth01

• Captain
    • View Profile
Paint.net and OpenXCOM
« on: April 26, 2018, 03:00:24 am »

Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody has had any success configuring paint.net to comply with the openxcom image palettes? It doesn't seem to work with .pal files and I am completely new to image editing so very basic advice about how to apply and enforce the openxcom palettes when working in paint.net would be appreciated. I have a bunch of work-in-progress sprites that are *not* displaying right and I suspect failing to consider the palettes used was the cause.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Paint.net and OpenXCOM
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 03:36:07 am »
if it supports exporting and importing palettes, just export the palette from a known-good image and import it into any future work

Offline Keth01

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 03:40:08 am »
I'll give that a shot. Thanks :)

Offline Keth01

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 06:33:03 am »

Yeah, I've solved that issue but half a dozen others have cropped up and I'm now going to go back to 'figure out GIMP' as an approach.

At least I discovered this earlyish.

Offline efrenespartano

• Commander
  • I know a lot about the law and other lawyerings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 05:49:58 am »
Hi! Paint.NET is a great image editor. I use it a lot to edit sprites and other stuff. But it doesn't work with the palettes of OpenXcom. I suggest you to use IrfanView too (it´s free!), export the palettes of some images of another mods and import this palettes you have created by yourself in the images you need. This fixes the palettes of the images you have created.  ;) Or you can just use Photoshop, it's very good.

Offline Keth01

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 06:42:47 am »

Thanks :) I've been getting decent results with GIMP once I figured out how to ensure the images play nicely with OXCE+

(In case anyone else is having trouble and needs my slightly circuitous method; open a 'known-good' .gif and copy/paste in content you want to edit. Manipulate image to taste and then export as a GIF. This'll give you a GIF that OXCE+ reads correctly apart from rendering pixels that should be transparent as black. Opening that image again in GIMP and re-exporting as a PNG solves that last issue.)