aliens

Author Topic: Wonderful Gaming Experience  (Read 5246 times)

Offline bouchacha

• Captain
    • View Profile
Wonderful Gaming Experience
« on: June 07, 2018, 10:31:01 pm »
I finally "beat" this mod and it has been a glorious experience. It took about 200 hours but I also cheated to skip over what I thought was needless tedium (e.g. searching for the last non-surrendering enemy in a ramshackle village before hover armor).

This is generalized feedback on the balance and overall experience.

Mint isn't very worthwhile and just adds busy work; you make almost as much money with selling chemicals and the like with the added bonus that you don't have to create the raw ingredients. Mints don't make any money while you're creating the raw 'ingredients' in the form of lower tier chips. Perhaps their numbers need to be tweaked to replace the battletank manufacturing? As a criminal enterprise, counterfeiting seems to make more sense lore-wise than manufacturing high-end military hardware. I'm confused by the extensive list of hellerium extraction recipes for ammo given that many require a superconductive wire and hellerium is buyable every early on in the game. I suppose it provides an efficiency gain but for the sake of everyone's sanity, why not just raise selling price? I also don't understand the need for extraction recipes like the money purse. It adds busy work without providing any other benefits. How I wish you could adjust engineer count from the main screen instead of clicking through each entry. Or for missing ingredients to be highlighted in the list. This is another way the 320x240 limitation for the engineering screen is so crippling.

This is more OXC feedback, but I wish Bootypedia entries were more detailed. Some weapons would be listed as 0 damage and you'd have to break out the calculator to figure out if it was worthwhile at all. The advice that you should try out each weapon in the battlefield (unsure if that was serious) is unrealistic given the "research > build > supply with ammo > use by someone capable > deploy against something vulnerable" chain that you have to travel. 320x240 is just way too small of a resolution for conveying weapon and armor information in the current entries. This is yet another hurdle to competently using VooDoo powers; they're too much of a headache to decipher.

If there was one feature I could request, it would be real-time on-screen damage indicators. I would love love love to be able to know if my hits connected, what they damaged (shields? armor? other?), and how much they damaged. This is important from an accessibility issue because currently the only hint you have is a sound cue. There is the CTRL+H screen but this is kept vague (perhaps deliberately) but is completely inaccessible if the enemy gets a reaction fire. I ended up using copious amounts of debug mode to test out weapons because otherwise the systems were too opaque. This is especially so when considering the daze mechanic since the CTRL+H screen and the ALT key typically lists damage as 0.

I'm genuinely and seriously impressed at how thematically consistent the whole experience is given all the different parts it's built from. Of course there's a nurse outfit and of course there's a seductress outfit. I couldn't get over how hilariously logical that the best off-hand weapon for a seductress to hold is a canteen of refreshment. I just imagined someone desperately quenching their thirst after a round of "seducing". I loved the bandit town and ratmen missions for their blatant hypocrisy; a bunch of inner city folks minding their business in run-down surroundings getting blown apart by highly-trained and well-equipped uber soldiers. Even the hunting missions being completely trivialized by hover armors makes perfect sense and (intentional or not) acts as a commentary on technology and hunting. Something else which impressed me is the quality of the writing throughout. Very consistent voice and generally very precise language.

I used a crew of 12 soldiers (+ HMP) most missions and never really had to reload magazines except for base assaults and the siberia mission. Similarly, despite casualty chains, the only time I remember losing a soldier to panic was during a Star Gods base assault and I didn't really pay attention to combat stress as a mechanic. Once I got lasguns, I didn't see a reason to use anything else for most missions. Custom lasguns with AP ammo are almost game-breakingly good. Autolasers wrecked any big targets (e.g. tanks and sectopods) while Heavy lasers and portable lascannons were too slow which meant a miss was catastrophic. Gauss weapons (except heavy gauss) were generally too slow to be worthwhile. With the exception of the Commando Rifle for quick long-range reaction shots, master weapons were not worthwhile once you have lasguns.

I'm sure Dioxine is tired of hearing this but there are way too many weapons that are useless and way too little difference between the rest. Especially since mechanics encourage you to use the same type of ammo (since totals of the same type get tallied up). End game gets dragged out with research specific people (e.g. mercenary engineer, and belter??) and I'm grateful that there's VIP kidnapping at least.

Some equipment I'm still unsure how to use. The destructor outfit is quite expensive to make and requires good voodoo stats but the ball of annihilation is quite lackluster (tested it against mercs). A lot of VooDoo equipment is way too situational and lackluster to be useful; especially considering how fragile VooDoo gals are and how much you have to invest in their training. I'm happy to get corrected on this. The Assassin outfit gives a tremendous bonus to firing, but its lack of a jetpack seriously limits the number of long-range shots it can even attempt during a mission. Dragonfly was a fantastic armor for snipers *if only* because the line of sight advantage from boosting up was so valuable. I felt the same about advanced power armor; way too slow to be of use as a frontline tank.

I picked Red Codex and mostly regretted it. Early game chainmail is amazing but the blood ax is annoying to build and is comparable to the slightly faster electro-sword.

I didn't like base defense missions as a mechanic. They don't come with much specific warning (hyperwave give you a hint of what, but not where) and the consequences primarily serve to set you back and add to an already lengthy gaming experience. It also added the logistical headache of requiring a crack team with good equipment parked at every base JUST IN CASE. I would love it if you could reclaim a lost base by invading it back! Similarly, I never was able to shoot anything down with base defense even though I had 4000+ defense rating. It would be cool if damage imposed would at least reduce the number of spawns; otherwise base defense facilities serve absolutely no purpose if they can't meet the hit point hurdle.

Big props to ivandogovich for his QOL mods. I can't imagine playing without streamlined armor manufacturing and I'm not sure why Dioxine doesn't implement that mod by default.

Overall, this was an awe-inspiring mod and easily my favorite gaming experience of the past year. I'm even considering playing through again although at over 200+ hours I am definitely not doing it without cheating in brainers and money. I am so jealous of your talents Dioxine! I gladly donated!

If I was to give advice to new players feeling overwhelmed, it would be:
1. Sell all your chips and ignore the mint
2. Melee is both satisfying and highly effective!!
3. You can pretty much safely ignore VooDoo if you want
4. Stay clear of mercs and star gods and their vessels until much later
5. Siberia mission is a pain but so worthwhile because AP laser ammo is the greatest
6. Keep your infamy up by shooting down shipping; even if you don't have the gals to pillage
7. No matter how tempting, don't sell optronics, integrated devices, or force circuitry

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
Re: Wonderful Gaming Experience
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 12:58:34 am »
Mint is a very narrow margin of efficiency unless you convert everything down to the lowest denomination chips(plastic?) If you do the whole series it is quite profitable but the time invested is very high. Sticking to other products and selling all chips is sufficient in most cases.

The large number of extraction recipes serve as another path to just outright buying the hellirum needed to build the final craft. 12.5k hellirum costs 250 million bought outright. Buying capsules is even less efficient at 775 mil. Add in fuel/ammo for advanced craft, and assorted other uses and you need alot of it. Being able to process outdated/surplus ammo into a form you actually need is a decent feature. Not always needed but really crucial when it is.

You mention a very low resolution being a problem twice. You are aware you can scale up the interface in the options menu? Run the game at a high res, scale up the interface, use one of the filters to mitigate the ugly visuals, and you shouldn't have any issue viewing text. I play in 1600x900 at 1.5 scale and have never had a viewing issue.

There is alot of math to calculate the optimum weapon for a given soldier, but you dont need the optimum at all times. Being able to hit and do some dmg to your opponents is generally sufficient. Trying to strive for that max efficiency per soldier is not worth the micro. Find something that works against most of your current opponents, pack a few alternatives in the craft, and call it done.

AP lasers are indeed quite good at present, but i expect them to get a little worse as the end game expands with more powerful shielded foes. Of the master crafts only the kustom blunderbuss really stays relevant, and then only due to chem ammo's armor shred. 48 potential shred per autofire on top of shred from dmg dealt adds up.  And 3 auto shots per turn and still maneuver.

The end game is tedious, but neither is the content for it finished. Effectively most of the third act of the mod is absent but for some signposts and the end goal. So yeah missing content on the way to the end is tedious/dull. Nothing to do but wait.

Some items are indeed quite niche or not that impressive at first glance.

The Destructor is actually really sturdy once you account for its excellent resistances. In practice its the 3rd or 4th most durable armor, 1st or 2nd without green codex. And if your voodoo is up to snuff it has minor regen. As to its inbuilt weapon its pretty much a rocket launcher. Not appropriate all the time, but hey flying rocket launcher without ammo carrying issues. Put a wand, death blossom, or kustom handcannon in the free hand, and you have a assault/breacher/and heavy weapon gal in one unit.

The assassin was once much better overall, but the mod has swung quite heavily away from the smoke/campy style which was the niche for the assassin. And with lok'nar auxiliaries outperforming it in the scout role(NV/thermal being the outfits other high point), the outfit finds itself without a home.

Red codex has a distinctly aggressive bent. Vampy(lifesteal)+blood axe(morale gain)+vodka(staunch wounds) is nigh unstoppable if your not taken out in one go. Add a crystal skull(TU gain for dmg dealt) and you can murder spree many encounters single handed. The Hellblade is one of the most powerful melee and ranged weapons possible in one package.

That said Red is arguably weaker then Grey(Ghost, Witch, and Destructor armor, with higher utility menace craft) and Green(Uber capture tool that is fairy armor and super tank bio armor) but better then gold.

Base Defense is a staple of Xcom in general. Not likely to leave the mod ever considering the work put into making it more interesting. You dont really need a crack team at every base to hold them. Proper base design allows you to funnel most foes into a very small area which you then saturate with flamethrowers and explosives. The only goal in a base defense is to survive, dont spare the firepower. Collateral damage to base facilities is easy to manage. Dioxine even helpfully installed blinky red lights onto the tiles that count for facility damage.

Offline bouchacha

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 02:09:31 am »
You mention a very low resolution being a problem twice. You are aware you can scale up the interface in the options menu? Run the game at a high res, scale up the interface, use one of the filters to mitigate the ugly visuals, and you shouldn't have any issue viewing text. I play in 1600x900 at 1.5 scale and have never had a viewing issue.
Oh I know about that, but the bootypedia and manufacturing window are all locked at 320x240 or some scaling of which which tends to be way too zoomed in on modern monitors. When I complain about the resolution, I'm really talking about the screen real estate. Some Bootypedia entries struggle to fit in every piece of information. This is especially relevant for armors as they list a long list of resistances, skill bonuses, melee evasion, target size, exosuit status, energy recovery, night vision, thermal vision, camo rating, built-in weapons, etc etc.

Dioxine even helpfully installed blinky red lights onto the tiles that count for facility damage.
Well damn, I had no idea.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 02:22:58 am by bouchacha »

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 02:46:26 am »
If there was one feature I could request, it would be real-time on-screen damage indicators.

Oh no, not again.

Offline bouchacha

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 08:20:04 pm »
Oh no, not again.

Is this an on-going discussion? Happy to read what's already been said. At minimum the current method of CTRL+H after a strike would be better communicated if you saw it pop up in real time.

niculinux

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 08:26:40 pm »
Thanks bouchacha! please mindo to share some advices here i'd be very hapy about it, thank!

Offline cc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 10:03:09 pm »
Mint is a very narrow margin of efficiency unless you convert everything down to the lowest denomination chips(plastic?) If you do the whole series it is quite profitable but the time invested is very high. Sticking to other products and selling all chips is sufficient in most cases.
Profitability per engineer-hour actually falls with each tier (except Gold being more profitable than Obsidian). I always assumed that Plastic Chips are an in-game joke because it's a terrible manufacturing choice at the stage you unlock it.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 02:10:59 am »
Profitability per engineer-hour actually falls with each tier (except Gold being more profitable than Obsidian). I always assumed that Plastic Chips are an in-game joke because it's a terrible manufacturing choice at the stage you unlock it.

Ore>Obsidian>Gold is ridiculously good.

at about $91/runt hour the final Plastic Chips are a project I definitely set up in my mint base.  Of course, MBTs are better profit overall, but they are even more end-game.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CkPqVsGXP72ncwIMQjk8gW2Qnc3sVNJVW0ZXhAWcKoc/edit#gid=1605349536

Offline cc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2018, 08:50:16 am »
Ore>Obsidian>Gold is ridiculously good.

at about $91/runt hour the final Plastic Chips are a project I definitely set up in my mint base.  Of course, MBTs are better profit overall, but they are even more end-game.
Oh, the profatibility increased in the last versions. My bad.
I guess I should get back to playing/programming. >_>