Author Topic: Modular Skyranger  (Read 7069 times)

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
Modular Skyranger
« on: January 09, 2018, 06:15:06 am »
It has been bothering me for quite some time now that the Skyranger is built to fit together in only one way. It's difficult to use its terrain pieces to make anything significantly different from the original ship.

So I got to work making a modular Skyranger, adding several pieces that are needed to make more complex craft shapes. I don't have much in it yet, but it's a start. I'll update this post as I get more pieces into the set and update images to look better. Let me know what pieces you guys want in it, and feel free to share your own images for Skyranger pieces if you have any, I can incorporate them into the MCD.

Tileset made with Volutar's MCDEdit.
Map made with DaiShiva's MapView.

PLANEMOD 0.2

I added a few pieces, especially the top rounded portion. I also improved the graphics on several pieces. On the map, I put the engines on the craft--oops, had forgot that earlier!

PLANEMOD 0.1
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 07:55:14 am by The Reaver of Darkness »

Hyper2Snyper

Re: Modular Skyranger
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 06:41:35 am »
How do you edit map files?

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 06:47:11 am »

Hyper2Snyper

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 07:09:13 am »
can u make custom map blocks with it?

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 07:53:25 am »
To edit tilesets you will need Volutar's MCDEdit.

Either program can be a bit tricky to get working properly, but once you get them installed and you learn to use them, they work great and are easy to use!

Offline darkestaxe

• Colonel
  • Emissary of the Brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 09:03:08 am »
can u make custom map blocks with it?

You do that with PCKview which comes with mapview. So ya.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 04:13:06 pm »
You do that with PCKview which comes with mapview. So ya.

Eh?

Perhaps there is a misunderstanding, but if you mean editing tilesets, there is no real alternative to MCDEdit, at least to my knowledge.
And why would anyone want that? MCDEdit is perfect!

Offline darkestaxe

• Colonel
  • Emissary of the Brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 10:55:25 am »
PckView edits terrain and tilesets and it's a lot more noob friendly, but it's very limited. Like the difference between MS Paint and GIMP/Photoshop.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 01:59:58 pm »
PckView edits terrain and tilesets and it's a lot more noob friendly, but it's very limited. Like the difference between MS Paint and GIMP/Photoshop.

I think MCDEdit is as noob friendly as it can get. It has really great GUI, straightforward tool tips, plenty of useful (but optional) tools like the built-in graphics editor, and is very intuitive. In fact it's much more approachable than MapView, which isn't so bad itself.

Hyper2Snyper

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 04:42:24 am »
Could you please put the MCedit folder here in .zip form (I cant load the website for some reason and I cant extract .7z files because of parental controlls :()

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 12:05:52 am »
Like the difference between MS Paint and GIMP/Photoshop.
More like the difference between MS Paint and Windows Photo Viewer, or the difference between Adobe Acrobat and Adobe Reader.

PCKView lets you add images, but it doesn't have an editor that lets you add new pieces to the tileset. All you can do with it is put new images on top of already existing pieces.

MCDEdit is very user-friendly. It lets you add new pieces, copy+paste attributes from existing pieces, view and edit all attributes of each piece, and it even shows you a 3D render of what the piece looks like as far as its hitbox on the battlescape based on its LOFTs. There is a built-in PCK editor which has all the tools you need for basic editing and it's very easy to use. It has a marking which shows the dimensions of the terrain block, so you can tell where your texture is going in relation to other nearby pieces.

You will likely find it a bit confusing at first to look at such a huge number of tile attributes. I suggest starting out by copying attributes from a piece that is essentially similar, and just changing a few attributes or the image. When I want to make a door, for example, I copy from an already existing door and then put my texture on it. When lining up textures, I'll take one that already fits where I want it, and use that as a template to see where my texture can go.

When you're done, save your MCD and it will be found in the TERRAIN folder within MCDEdit's main folder. You can copy it from there and paste into your mod. Make sure you copy+paste all three files (*.MCD, *.PCK, *.TAB). If you need to use it with MapView, make sure you copy it to the folder MapView draws from (usually your main X-Com folder). To easily start your own separate MCD, copy an existing one and paste it into the same folder. Give the second copy whatever name you want, just make sure all 3 files have the same name. And always make sure you copy it into your mod AND MapView's folder! It's easy to think it looks right in MapView or in-game, only to forget that it's not in your mod folder yet!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 12:16:43 am by The Reaver of Darkness »

Offline Ninja

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2020, 03:41:32 am »
Now i got a Skymonster …

- type: STR_SKYRANGER
    soldiers: 100

- name: PLANE
          width: 20
          length: 30

;D

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2020, 07:53:23 pm »
Theoretically it's a simple thing, but in reality... it's still goddamn impressive.

Offline Docent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2020, 09:30:27 am »
I would look at the mission in which this ship landed in the den, where, for example, 200 Chryssalid live :)

Offline Ninja

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2020, 01:34:56 pm »
i Need such a big ship for my own mod
a.) more Aliens in bigger ships
example Terrorship 125 Aliens Terrorship 100 Aliens
 (you can see on screenshoot my Crew can see allready from inside Skymonster 10+ Aliens done)
b.) more spawnpoints on Maps so they Aliens will finaly fill realy that map (done)
c.) a way to bring more than 14 Soldiers/Agents at beginning of the game to the enemy (done now)
d.) balancing still working on weapons you Need ca. 10 Soldiers/Agents to bring 1 Alien down on 1 turn in 20 squares away. With laserrifle's and 60 fireaccuracy.
the Aliens to also they Need around to fire 20 times if your Soldier is 20 squares awy.

Armor Baser = 50
Weapon doing 20-30 damg and hit 100% armor before they go on Health
Example
1st hit deals 25 damg
Armor reduced to 25 points
2nd hit deals 25 damg
Armor reduced to 0 Points
3th hit deals 25 damg
Armor is gone and Soldier takes -25 of his 60 Health + 1critical wound
He has still 60-25 = 35 health left it will take 2 more 25 damg hits to bring him down

I implemented a lot of other mods by many modders i do not all my self just the battlescape mechanics
why ?
All mod's try to make more RPG style Crews smaller and battles more like D&D fights
I like to have a OpenCom with big battles many soldiers and yes more casualtiys