Author Topic: UFO interception in Piratez  (Read 8802 times)

Offline Shaewaros

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
UFO interception in Piratez
« on: April 18, 2018, 05:29:39 pm »
I've been wondering when will I get access to Interceptors that I can use to shoot down UFOs? I've already fought 5-10 battles and I researched the Menacing Hull of the space craft, but I don't seem to be anywhere close to gaining access to Interceptors. Am I missing something here? Is there any alternative way to gain access to Interceptors early in the game? Or does the early game mostly consist of waiting for UFOs to land to attack them and waiting for events that let you attack temples and towers and such?

Btw I'm loving this mod so far!

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
Re: UFO interception in Piratez
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 05:36:34 pm »
Start capturing and researching Guild Air Sailors or Government Pilots, you need them to unlock hellerium-powered craft.

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 05:57:39 pm »
You will be able to buy some crafts that have gun slots. Your codex of choice should give you three, and contacting car dealers some others. Those are not interceptors that can go toe to toe with decent enemies, but you will be able to shoot down smaller ships. Proper interceptors take quite some time and even then you'll want a couple against the bigger enemies.

The academy flies around a a science vessel that I had never seen before, but I retreated when my shots bounced off the shields. I don't have proper craft missiles yet.

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 06:01:47 pm »
The battery powered cars you can buy after researching contacts: car thieves can shoot down the green civilian crafts and even beat the runabouts (medium scouts) in a fight if you get lucky.

The science vessel is a very tough nut to crack thanks to its powerful shields. Do not bother engaging it untill you have dedicated anti shield weaponry.

Offline Wayans

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 06:24:36 pm »
I'm quite advanced and got my first hellerium ship with 1 heavy weapon slot, anyway unlike vanilla xcom downing ufos isn't that important and you can always follow them until they land then get BOOTY!!

Offline Shaewaros

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 09:00:49 pm »
Thank you to everyone for the info! I'm happy to hear that there are multiple ways for gaining access to air combat capable vehicles. :)

Also thanks Wayans - for some reason I didn't think about following the alien vessels until they land. I must be getting old. :)

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 12:56:45 am »
for some reason I didn't think about following the alien vessels until they land. I must be getting old. :)

Green (civilian) and blue (police) almost never land.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 03:27:54 pm »
Government fights can cause severe infamy penalties. Don't wonder if you 'win' a match against the police and run a massive negative score from that.

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 03:58:42 pm »
Police are not a problem. They are Megapol, a seperate faction from the gouvernments and those don't really like all the meddling Megapol does. So you get infamy for killing them. They are also a good source of synthmuscle mesh. And slaves, but as they are beastmen it takes a lot of time to process them and you need the lab or a surgery room.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 05:17:14 pm »
I talked about the actual government faction. The lads in black doing 'government business' missions.
Never talked about megapol in the slightest.

Offline Wayans

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 06:12:52 pm »
I attack from time to time the gov to check their improvements in tech :)

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2018, 06:19:54 pm »
Factions don't 'improve' in tech over the run of the campaign.
The weaponry used is based on the vessel/mission you attack/assign to.

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2018, 07:21:52 pm »
I talked about the actual government faction. The lads in black doing 'government business' missions.
Never talked about megapol in the slightest.
Ah, ok. Police equates Megapol for me. And the poster before explicitly mentioned the blue police vessels.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2018, 08:46:50 pm »
Government ships have 'blue lights' to seperate them from equivalent fighters/ordinators/excavators until you have hyperwave decoders.
Blue colored ships in pursuit AND on the battlefield are run by megapol.
Government ships are default grey-ish.

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2018, 03:04:41 pm »
Factions don't 'improve' in tech over the run of the campaign.
The weaponry used is based on the vessel/mission you attack/assign to.

That is not quite true. The equipment selection *is* based on game time. There are five different loadouts per rank, each has a chance to be chosen based on game time. Early game has a higher chance for the "less dangerous" loadouts, while late game increases the chance of the "more dangerous" loadouts. But you can still see the dangerous loadout in low quantity in early game.

Example:
When you raid a military transport early in the campaign, you will see 1-2 guys with RPG. A year later, you will see 4-6 guys with RPG.