aliens

Author Topic: 1-tile "Melee"  (Read 4264 times)

Offline bouchacha

• Captain
    • View Profile
1-tile "Melee"
« on: April 20, 2018, 11:27:38 am »
How exactly do 1-tile "melee" weapons work? I know with traditional melee it's advantageous to strike from behind/flank to reduce enemy evasion; do 1-tile weapons have the same advantage? Also, how is accuracy calculated? Most of the guides I read seem to claim that misses should almost never happen but this has not been my experience. I have not done extensive testing but it definitely seems like an ax is much more reliable than a ripper or auto-ax. Even when a ripper claims to have 135% accuracy, I still get my gals "shooting" the ground when attacking. I also get messages at the bottom claiming that the enemy evaded my attack.

So:
1. Does melee evasion apply to 1-tile weapons?
2. Is the accuracy rating comparable between the two types of melee weapons?

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: 1-tile "Melee"
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 12:43:47 pm »
Those guides were probably written before the introduction of the evade mechanic.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 01:01:39 pm »
1-tile 'melee' has been nerfed drastically with the introduction of the CQC-check.

Hammers (1-tile 'ranged' weapon) were too reliable to hit everything considering the weight of them. Designed as a demolition-tool to break walls it made every 'shot' a 100% hit against enemies.
Also every gun/rifle had no penalty to be used form point-blank range. The CQC-check now 'spins' the attacker towards another tile if the check fails to simulate the evasion of a target.
No more gunmuzzle into your face/neck-actions without a chance to evade certain death.

Melee evasion applies to everything that uses the 'snapshot' and 'aimed shot' mode if it's used within the 8 adjusted tiles around the target on the same level.
Melee used by swords, batons and the gunbutt of certain rifles are victim to the evasion-score of the target. A bootypedia entry exists in the ingame library.

For short: Melee with real melee weapons is even better now inside of tight corridors. It stimulates the player to have a dagger/baton for every gal in the inventory to fight properly.

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 03:42:39 pm »
As Ethereal_Medic has said, the reports of the 1-tile melee weapons never missing were before the CQC-check.

The hit ratio of these weapons doesn't mean anything. The deciding factor of hit or no hit is the CQC-check, but those numbers are not displayed.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 04:04:20 pm »
Not displayed directly, but the listed 'accuracy' is coded to be an exact replica of the stats used for the CQC check, thus the displayed accuracy is equivalent to the hit chance if this were a true melee attack.

Offline bouchacha

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 08:22:14 pm »
This makes a whole lot more sense! I figured the CQC check was getting triggered but I also assumed that the CQC penalty for "melee" would intentionally be zero or something. I understand why you wouldn't want a 100% accurate melee but the current mechanic is too opaque and misleading.

Offline bouchacha

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 10:18:12 am »
I just realized this makes pikes an amazingly good weapon once you get them: 150% base accuracy, 3-tile range, and you basically bypass melee evasion and reduce the need to flank. 10% penalty for one-handed ain't too shabby either.

Offline Rince Wind

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 12:36:50 pm »
But you risk getting reaction-shot.

Offline bouchacha

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 08:48:24 pm »
Hmm, so would one way to circumvent that be flanking?

Offline sanyaskillpro

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 09:09:14 pm »
Hitting an enemy from behind with a "ranged" weapon allows them to spin 180 and fire back. I think wiki has the article on whether an enemy gets a reaction fire after a certain action, you can read more about every situation. There are ways to circumvent it, use a regular melee weapon from behind, or attack first with a weapon that has reaction disrupt property. Stun grenade, spear and leather whip come to mind. They even scale from the same stats as a pike.