aliens

Author Topic: KIKOSKIA PLAYS OPEN XCOM!!!!  (Read 7156 times)

Offline Jstank

• Colonel
  • 100% Un-Professional XCOM Lets Player
    • View Profile
    • FINAL MOD PACK LP OUT SOON NOW RECRUITING! SIGN UP TODAY!
KIKOSKIA PLAYS OPEN XCOM!!!!
« on: April 08, 2018, 09:30:34 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_Pph4T_Rfo&list=PLTvwKQHVid4Zfmaxc99_Piat_MYvaJHSB

WOW I have been waiting for this forever. Kikoskia was the one who introduced me to XCOM, and now he is going to play it again.

Enjoy!

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: KIKOSKIA PLAYS OPEN XCOM!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 09:34:38 pm »
cooooooooooooooool

His xcom LP was one of the very first things I saw on YT as such... the man's a legend.

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
  • Squaddie cautiously peering through the breach
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 01:20:19 am »
Never heard of him.  Guess I need to check it out.

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 11:26:20 am »
Kikoskia has probably the most famous LP of X-Com of all the time. Although he is not a very good player, his charm and theatrical communication is what carries his LPs forward, usually with his lack of skill and tactics frequently provoking many hilarious accidents that add to the tension and fun.

So far, he did a VERY comprehensive introduction of not only X-Com but also of the features of OpenXcom itself. The only thing I regret so far is that he is not using the original resolution (odd for him, since he tends to be purist), which kind of makes the Geoscape in particular look weird.

Online Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 11:38:13 am »
Is he the guy who did the LP featuring Otto Zander in a badass cape?

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 01:10:22 pm »
Is he the guy who did the LP featuring Otto Zander in a badass cape?
I believe that was GuavaMoment.

https://lparchive.org/X-COM-UFO-Defense/

Online Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 01:58:16 pm »
Yes, you're right.
Then by Definition Kikoskia can't be the most famous LP-er. ;) But seriously speaking, I have never heard of him either.

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 07:44:55 pm »
We're talking of youtube video LPs not old timey text LPs from LParchive.

Offline Yataka Shimaoka

• Colonel
  • I'm the trouble maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 06:39:36 am »
Well, GuavaMoments is a popular xcom youtuber, I've never heard anymore names other than him and Jade Star. So by definition Kikoskia is nowhere near popular with those two

Offline NKF

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 08:33:10 am »
Kiko is popular in a more niche or obscure sense compared to your everyday AAA LPer or streamer that often appear in trending newsfeeds. He just uploads videos because he enjoys making them. He has been so for quite some time now and has developed a fairly solid community of fans. If you do hear about him it will most likely be through a recommendation from a fan or from his circle of LPer friends.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 01:13:47 pm by NKF »

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 04:10:24 am »
Sorry to continue derailing the thread, but it seems inevitable at this point. Apparently the community view (which I share) is that Kikoskia isn't particularly popular. It's a decent Let's Play, however. But I want to see more modded LPs. Most LPs seem to be vanilla OXC.

GuavaMoment isn't popular for his Let's Plays so much as for his storyboard outside of video media which told his playthrough as if it were a book story, complete with characters who have personality, and extra story details that weren't in the original game. I discovered GuavaMoment through a Google Image Search when browsing for X-Com images. He has LPs and other such stuff on his YouTube account, but I've had many X-Com LPs linked to me and none were from GuavaMoment.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 04:13:35 am by The Reaver of Darkness »

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2018, 11:39:12 pm »
"Fame" is a matter of speaking, "notable" is more accurate. None of them are internet famous, they were just one of the first in their respective circles when X-Com was still a niche thing, so gained a cult-like following. Both probably date back to the 2000s era of early Web 2.0 when this sort of stuff didn't spread much.

Kikoshia did a lot of old stuff and was probably one of the only full X-Com LPs on Youtube back when doing that sort of long commentated thing was a rarity (10 minute 360p videos!). He's basically an oldie and I even PMed him about OpenXcom when I first started but got no reply, nice to see him back.

Meanwhile GuavaMoment and Jade Star are from the LParchive circle where screenshot LPs with lots of embellishment were the norm. They were never really "Youtubers", it's just the medium of choice now, and I have contact with them since we happened to hang around the same communities.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 07:19:41 pm »
Kikoskia pretty well know on youtube especially for some old dos game LP's, like X-Com.

I can not bear to watch his videos, because i always want to scream at the screen when he does something wrong, but that is totally intended and adds a lot towards his style and comedy.

Let's hope he saves Earth :)