Author Topic: messed up map in geoscape?  (Read 3309 times)

Offline keyboarder

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
messed up map in geoscape?
« on: April 06, 2018, 03:11:19 am »
ok, is it just me, or is my map completely messed up when viewing the world in geoscape? just have a look here: https://ibb.co/fWxNux

KZad Bhat

Re: messed up map in geoscape?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 07:20:10 am »
Do you have your resolution set really low? I don't really recall how it's supposed to look in vanilla, I have my resolution set at 640x480 with the scaling set for Full Display, so I'm a little spoiled. But I'm still sure even in vanilla it didn't make Scandinavia a solid mass. If the resolution is fine though, it leaves the question of mods you might be running, and if any modify the Geoscape map. Other than that, I really can't see what would do this.

Offline keyboarder

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 05:23:18 am »
i did try to change it to those settings you suggested, but the map is still as messed up as in the photo i posted.. here are my settings (for mods, i only have FMP activated)..

anything here that makes the map messed up or?

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 06:36:08 am »
Only thing I can think of that might cause this difference is the fact that your screen resolution (1920x1080) is not a perfect multiple of the original game's resolution (320x200) - this mismatch might cause a few things to look off, but I've only noticed it in text seeming a bit off.

KZad Bhat

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 09:10:37 am »
Try changing the Geoscape Scale setting, just to see what it does.

If setting it to 2x or Full Display doesn't make a difference, then try turning off FMP.

But also weird is it's set to Fullscreen Display Mode, but it's obviously in a window. I really don't get what's going on there, but being set to a higher resolution than it's being squashed down into could cause things to look very strange. It may turn out what you'll need to do is make it go truly fullscreen, or reduce your resolution. You don't really benefit by a higher screen resolution anyway unless you use scaling or have custom graphics that can take advantage of it, and I'm not sure any of the OXC engines really let you do that anyway.

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 12:08:53 pm »
It looks like your screen image is not centered.

Offline keyboarder

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 12:13:36 pm »
ok, so i tried all of the following you guys suggested (tried all map scalings, windowed/full screen, went through all resolutions, centering the image), but the only thing that worked, was to turn off the FMP and then start a new game. only then the map looked ok. and yes, starting a new game with FMP made the map as messy as in the save game. so, it must be something to do with the FMP then... but what, i have no clue. any other thoughts? i got curious on figuring this one out, but it seems to be rather difficult, i guess.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 12:15:32 pm by keyboarder »

KZad Bhat

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 11:51:16 pm »
Reading quickly through FMP's thread, it doesn't look like anyone else has had map problems. You might have caught a faulty version, though I doubt it, or something much more strange is going on. I'll download it and check out with my regular copy of OXCE+.

In the meantime, if what's available now is a later version, give it an upgrade anyway, and see if that also solves the issue. At a low chance, but, it could be weirdness in how your OXC version interacts. I'm kind of grasping now because it's so strange, and I don't really have a clue. All I mentioned before was regular troubleshooting steps.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Edit:

Well, I took a look.

Using:
OXCE+: 3.10a 2018-1-31
FMP: 1.9.8 (also without)
Resolution: 640x480
Geoscape Scaling: Full Display
Filter: Scale

I have made these screenshots.

000, 001 are with FMP.
002, 003 are without FMP.

It looks like rather it's either undocumented map changes, or we just haven't read through all the changes made in FMP. Either way, looks like just a change to the Geoscape map.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 04:56:43 am by KZad Bhat »

Online Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 01:13:42 pm »
This look simply as two completely different maps not as some bug in code or in version.

KZad Bhat

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 06:48:57 am »
That's what I figure, they've included a map mod and it either isn't documented, or I just missed it. There are after all over 40 pages of posts on FMP's thread, so not hard to have missed it.