aliens

Author Topic: UFOpedia text  (Read 2228 times)

Offline Keth01

• Captain
    • View Profile
UFOpedia text
« on: April 06, 2018, 04:57:35 am »

Sorry to be asking what is likely a pretty basic question but the search terms involved give a lot of false positives.

So I think I grok how to define the ruleset for a new UFOpedia entry in the game, and how to point it at a text file or image.

What I can't figure out is where those text files or images are, and what file format they are in or how they might be replaced or edited?

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
Re: UFOpedia text
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 12:46:34 pm »
Not text files, but text strings. They are in a file "ExtraStrings.rul" Dont forget to count spaces before each string, it is important.
Images are defined in other file - ExtraSprites.rul. Dont forget to use "singleImage: true" and define size of your pics.
I know only about .png and .gif supported, but .gif has some problems on Mac.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 01:04:32 am »
Not text files, but text strings. They are in a file "ExtraStrings.rul" Dont forget to count spaces before each string, it is important.
Images are defined in other file - ExtraSprites.rul. Dont forget to use "singleImage: true" and define size of your pics.
I know only about .png and .gif supported, but .gif has some problems on Mac.

This is the usual method of storing text strings in mods.

If you're looking to where the vanilla strings are located, go to the folder \openxcom\standard\xcom1\Language\ (it's the folder where you installed the game, and not the mods folder)

Offline Keth01

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 04:06:19 am »
This is what I was after, thank you!