Author Topic: New X-COM-like game: Terran Shield  (Read 26239 times)

Offline Arhaeus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: New X-COM-like game: Terran Shield
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2019, 08:11:06 pm »
It is in alpha indeed. We need a lot of work on the graphics. We work hard to have a functional game mechanics based on TU and also to have a 3D level design with hight and destructible environment. We succeded and that can be seen in our demo.

Xenonauts it is not a full 3D project so they have a different budget for development.
We need those stretching goals in order to have those assets implemented in the game. We have to be honest with our backers. Even with the salaries of Eastern Europe, it would be impossible to have a polished game with less than 100k.

Phoenix Point doesn't have a tactical map with hights, they didn't have a demo ready at the launch of the fig campaign, they had 765k from the campaign, 100k/month from preorders and still they needed the  2,2 mil from Epic in order to finish the game. They make the game in Bulgaria with similar salaries to Romania.

Imagine how difficult was for us to make a functional demo, with virtual 0 development money. If the community will support us, we will make the TBS that the community dreams of for all these years.
Another advantage will be that we will make the game together with the community as Goldhawk Interactive does with Xenonauts.

Offline michal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2019, 09:46:31 am »
Hello,

I'm not saying that you want too much money for what you want to implement. I'm just saying that IMHO there is zero chance now that you will get it.

Xenonauts had community and more impressive demo / trailer.
Phoenix Point had Jullian Gollop name behind it.

I think that what you have now is not enough to convince people to fund your project.

Maybe you should concentrate on doing one map, one alien, one weapon but make it look impressive.

Maybe you should consider other ways of funding for now. For example patreon. And slowly build community.
Release demos often, etc.

Offline Arhaeus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2019, 05:57:38 pm »
You are right.
We will concentrate on polishing what we already have.
Even if the campaign fails, we hope that we can form a community and a more convincing campaign afterwards.

Thanks.

Offline Arhaeus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2019, 09:44:39 pm »
Regarding the polish thing, the death animation in Phoenix Point to date (after all those development money) is worst than our animation.

https://youtu.be/qQYwJW9fUg0

https://youtu.be/1q5KfreGneY

Offline michal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2019, 09:47:37 am »
IMHO you should work on materials and lightning. In this grenade video everything looks too shiny, even ground and grass.

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2019, 02:02:10 am »
I can't speak for other people, but the thing that drew me into this project was the thought of undersea exploration. I know I may be in the minority here, but the graphics quality is less important to me than the content within those graphics. If you can pull off an exploration scenario and it grabs my attention, you wouldn't need it to look perfect the first time around. Just the abyssal darkness of the sea combined with the occasional lights glowing in the distance and the ethereal mystery of the sea environment--strange plants and growths, bright colors, and hidden secrets all further mystified behind the glow of dim lights which taint the reflections of the things around them with their own color bias. With the right environment and a few well-applied shaders, you can skip past the high-polygon detailings and the wealth of details to come. In fact, secrets are great for a startup game because it means you can hint at things you haven't yet put in the work and money to design past the concept stage.

I like your gecko alien thing and I'm very curious to discover more about them. A big driver of that interest is the air of mystery about them. One tip I'd have is to make their guns look less like fancy guns and more like some alien device with no obvious purpose. A bit of obfuscation can enhance the air of mystery, and make the geckos even more tantalizing to the viewer.

But as always, that's just my opinion and may not reflect the opinions of others.

Offline Arhaeus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2019, 11:14:19 pm »
We relaunched the campaign with a lower goal and hope for the best. We have a new trailer and campaign page content.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/terranshield/terran-shield-edge-of-the-abyss-0

For the latest news and dev talks, you can follow us on our Discord server: https://discordapp.com/invite/kEErsjp

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2019, 05:16:55 am »
Very nice!

I've also felt this project has lots of great graphical assets, but the sound design is what's currently lacking the most.

Offline Arhaeus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2019, 10:19:51 pm »
The sounds don't sound great on the trailer and in other videos, but when you play the demo they are doing their job well. In fact, if you take the sounds from X-Com 1,2,3 they wouldn't be so great on trailers too. Of course, the sounds and music will be improved in the final game.

Offline Arhaeus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2019, 11:20:13 pm »
Before we provide an update on the aliens, we thought we'd reveal something more about the Jellyfish Sentry.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/terranshield/terran-shield-edge-of-the-abyss-0/posts/2637020

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2019, 02:45:10 am »
mm I like it :drool:

Offline Arhaeus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2019, 05:41:40 am »

Offline efrenespartano

• Commander
  • I know a lot about the law and other lawyerings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2019, 05:55:49 am »
DAMM, SON! We need to bring bigger harpoons, then!

Enviado desde mi LG-M400 mediante Tapatalk

Offline Arhaeus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2019, 05:52:41 am »
Almost all aliens are much bigger than humans, not only from a lore perspective, but because in 3D the things in the far distance are very small and the player would have difficulties distinguishing and targeting them.

Offline Arhaeus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2019, 06:01:00 am »
Our backers wanted us to take a stand on the exclusivity distribution matter, so we did:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/terranshield/terran-shield-edge-of-the-abyss-0/faqs

"Q: Will Terran Shield be available exclusively on Epic Store?

A: We will not make an exclusivity distribution contract with any third party (be it Epic Store, Steam, GOG etc.) in the future. Our game will be always available for sale on our site and we believe that people should be free to choose where they want to buy their games from."