aliens

Author Topic: Hello and a few questions.  (Read 4827 times)

Offline Lord_Kane

• Captain
    • View Profile
Hello and a few questions.
« on: March 15, 2018, 11:13:11 am »
Hi my name is Lord_Kane and I am new to X-COM and OpenX-Com.

I was aware of X-com growing up, but never got into it till I played (and was rather oddly disapointed with) XCOM: Enemy Unknown[2012]

I have a few questions relating to OpenXcom (and possibly more)

1. How playable is Enemy Unknown? what do you recommend? 1.0 or the Nightlies? (I went with the nightlies as 1.0 seems out of date)

2. Is TFTD generally completable with the nightlies?

3. how bug free is Enemy Unknown with OpenXcom

4. how bug free is Terror from the deep with openxcom?

Or I should just wait and use my GOG dosbox copies in the mean time?

Thank you for all your answers. 

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Hello and a few questions.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 11:28:55 am »
Hello and welcome... we have some good news for you!

1. Enemy Unknown (the original) is one of the best games in the universe... so, yes, very playable :) We definitely recommend nightlies. 1.0 is just a trap for new people :/

2. Yes, 100%

3. It's basically bug-free... definitely has less bugs than the original version you can get from Steam or GOG.

4. Same as #3

Definitely go for OpenXcom... it's better than Steam/GOG version.

Offline Lord_Kane

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 11:30:20 am »
well I own xcom via gog, so I will use the data for that, thanks for the answers!

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 11:24:58 am »
Play my mod. It's designed to supplement and improve the vanilla experience. You'll have a richer gameplay if you just start with my mod, but it won't add much to the story, so it'll still be basically the same game. As Meridian said, OpenXcom fixes many bugs. It also adds several features that just make the game less frustrating. My mod expands your gameplay options and balances things a lot, so there's no one right answer and you can make your game fit your playstyle.

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5543.0.html
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 11:26:45 am by The Reaver of Darkness »

Offline Lord_Kane

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 01:32:42 pm »
Play my mod. It's designed to supplement and improve the vanilla experience. You'll have a richer gameplay if you just start with my mod, but it won't add much to the story, so it'll still be basically the same game. As Meridian said, OpenXcom fixes many bugs. It also adds several features that just make the game less frustrating. My mod expands your gameplay options and balances things a lot, so there's no one right answer and you can make your game fit your playstyle.

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5543.0.html

Alright I will.

Offline NKF

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 12:58:59 am »
I would be open to playing the original versions at least once. The GOG release has the all important difficulty bug fixed in UFO and TFTD (v2.0) is good as-is. Both are ready to play with no (additional) 3rd party support unless you want to install some GUS patches for enhanced music playback.

It will help give you a chance to experience the game how it was and gain an extra appreciation for the updates and modern conveniences that are available in OpenXcom.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 02:07:13 am by NKF »

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 07:42:23 am »
I agree. There are a few quality of life mods or settings I'd usually recommend to even a brand new player, things that don't affect the feel of the game much. But it is a different experience playing the true original game, complete with the difficulties that entails.

Offline Lord_Kane

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 11:10:40 am »
I agree. There are a few quality of life mods or settings I'd usually recommend to even a brand new player, things that don't affect the feel of the game much. But it is a different experience playing the true original game, complete with the difficulties that entails.

Like what? feel free to link them or bug me on discord about it.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 11:37:17 am by Lord_Kane »

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 08:59:24 pm »
I never actually made a list of the mods, but let me see what I can think up. Keep in mind I haven't actually play-tested most of the mods I have seen.

I'd definitely recommend Luke's UFOs, and I have used that mod. It adds more UFO variants without changing anything important about the game. My mod is actually intended to run with it, I was going to integrate it but haven't got around to it. Just put Luke's UFOs higher on the list than any other important mods in the list because it declares a bunch of redundant vanilla attributes which might otherwise override your other mods. Apparently higher on the list means lower priority.
Luke's UFOs forum link

Awesomeguns is a good mod I think. I haven't actually installed it directly, but I've used plenty of the artwork from it. As I understand it, the mod primarily updates the weapons to look and sound better, but also adds a few of the community-standard weapons to expand the arsenal, especially in the beginning of the game. A lot of mods do this, adding things absent from the original game such as machineguns, submachineguns, shotguns, sniper rifles, and more. It gives you more choices without really changing the overall game. Some mods may have overlapping weapons--you might get two or more weapons that are very similar but not quite the same.
Awesomeguns forum link
Awesomeguns' awesome github page

It's actually difficult to browse mods without the mod portal. The forum doesn't sort them into categories. Well in general, the kind of mods I would recommend are basically things that add quality of life features or expand your options. I would potentially recommend things that change the balance if they are claiming it is to resolve balance problems in the original. Now if you play with my mod or any other major balance fix mod, it'll be intended to run by itself so you won't need to install any other mods--so it's just a matter of choice on your part. But all the major feature mods that change the game drastically are best experienced after playing the base game, or so I feel.

Here's some of the biggest mods changing the gameplay and story:
From the Apocalypse
X-Com Files
XOps
X-Pirates

These mods are excellent, but they are total conversion mods, meaning you play with only that mod installed as well as any optional mods provided with it. They are also geared toward veteran players. I would definitely give them a try later if you like the vanilla game, or now if you like to punish yourself. :P

I'd like to mention Final Mod Pack here. It is a mod compilation containing all of the community favorites, with a lot of work put into making them work together. It doesn't contain individual standalone mods, but rather acts as a single total conversion mod. You can play it like it is and experience heavily-modded gameplay, or you can look inside the folders and find out what mods were put into it. If you want to find more mods, FMP is a good place to look for inspiration. Many of these mods can be found on the forum, however a lot of them are only posted on the deprecated mod portal so you might not be able to access them.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 07:55:31 am by The Reaver of Darkness »

Offline Lord_Kane

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 10:03:06 pm »
Will awesome guns work on the nightlies? because thats what I use and the instructions list a patch which I cannot get to since its on the now disabled mod portal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2018, 10:21:21 pm »
I assume it would but I don't know. It should, since it's newer than the old file system.

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 08:08:45 am »
I think I was unclear about this before.

While I would recommend a new player use either my mod or Awesomeguns, they wouldn't work together very well. Both mods alter guns, aircraft, research, and game balance significantly. Canadian Beaver and I never communicated with each other or collaborated in any way on mod development, so our solutions are bound to be very different. So I would recommend a player to pick one or the other, but not both.

When installing multiple mods, it is good to check what features each mod adds, and avoid adding much overlap. A little bit is usually fine, the game runs with almost any mod mix, but it can negatively affect gameplay when two mods are both trying to edit the same thing in different ways.

Offline Lord_Kane

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2018, 08:43:11 am »
Dont worry I am running your mod and just your mod for the moment, I am new to XCOM not video games :P

when I decide to do a playthrough with another mod, I will deactivate or delete the previous mod.