Author Topic: [OXCE+] Upgraded Facilities  (Read 10318 times)

Offline Biggieboy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
[OXCE+] Upgraded Facilities
« on: March 13, 2018, 04:58:22 pm »
Upgraded Facilities

Can upgrade:
- Living Quarters
- General Stores
- Workshop
- Laboratory
- Psionic Laboratory (psionic research needed!)

store capacity x1,5
monthly cost: x1,5
price: x1,5*

*When build on to the standard building, you need to pay just the difference (example: Living quarters 400000, the upgrade need just +200000). The buildng time its same, need wait just the difference (example: Living Quarters build time 16 days, the upgrade need just +8 days)
When build empty slot, need pay the full price and need wait full time.

Please test it, and give me some feedback!

Thank you!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 04:59:58 pm by Biggieboy »

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [OXCE+] Upgraded Facilities
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 08:44:51 pm »
Pretty good work for a first mod. It works, it looks sleek, and it appears to be bug-free.

I can see gameplay purpose for having upgrades to the facilities, but it conflicts with my immersion to think that you can pay more money to squeeze more people or things into the same space. I believe that is why I and others have settled on the more realistic way of adding a large version of the facility which is more space efficient. But don't let me discourage your ideas.

I would also suggest that the upgrade costs more than you get. You have a 50% increase costing 50% more. That makes it intrinsically a better option. For example, 2 upgraded facilities costs the same amount of money as 3 basic facilities, but it costs less space. If it were a trade-off between space and money, it would then be a choice rather than a single correct answer. Early on, the player might want to expand through the available space in their base, saving money by building basic facilities. But later in the game when they run short on space and have lots of money to spend, they can easily upgrade existing facilities. Also, any player who wants to defend a small base can use the less money-efficient upgraded facilities for the express purpose of shrinking the base size and making base defense missions quicker. I would suggest at least double cost, perhaps as much as triple cost.

You could possibly lock the upgrades behind research. Maybe the aliens are using Planck Generator or Megafluxer technology to make things bigger on the inside and we can steal the tech to use in our own bases. Or maybe it doesn't require research. Maybe it's just money: titanium-alloy composite structure can support the same amount of dirt as concrete-rebar structure, albeit in less space. Sometimes throwing money at the problem really does lead to marvelous solutions. Add a bit of lore into the UFOPedia and silence the outcries of nerds like me.

Speaking of the UFOPedia, you don't yet have any UFOPedia entries for the larger facilities. You could add just one article explaining that every facility has a larger version and why, or you could put in one article for every larger version, top give a bit more detail on each specific case. The UFOPedia entries are the least important part overall, but I feel it's the place where you really get to express your creativity and explain the rationale behind your decisions.

You don't have refund values set for the upgraded facilities, and the basic facility refund value is set to 100%. This means that if you dismantle a basic facility, you will get all of your money back. If you dismantle an upgraded facility, you won't get any money back.

- - - - -

Last thing: about the authors -- you're the only author of the mod. ohartstein and I may have provided you some code to work with, but you put it together into a mod. You should definitely list yourself first in the author list, and probably only you. You can give us special thanks in the metadata file if you like. =)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 08:50:17 pm by The Reaver of Darkness »

Offline Biggieboy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 09:07:54 pm »
Pretty good work for a first mod. It works, it looks sleek, and it appears to be bug-free.

I can see gameplay purpose for having upgrades to the facilities, but it conflicts with my immersion to think that you can pay more money to squeeze more people or things into the same space. I believe that is why I and others have settled on the more realistic way of adding a large version of the facility which is more space efficient. But don't let me discourage your ideas.

I would also suggest that the upgrade costs more than you get. You have a 50% increase costing 50% more. That makes it intrinsically a better option. For example, 2 upgraded facilities costs the same amount of money as 3 basic facilities, but it costs less space. If it were a trade-off between space and money, it would then be a choice rather than a single correct answer. Early on, the player might want to expand through the available space in their base, saving money by building basic facilities. But later in the game when they run short on space and have lots of money to spend, they can easily upgrade existing facilities. Also, any player who wants to defend a small base can use the less money-efficient upgraded facilities for the express purpose of shrinking the base size and making base defense missions quicker. I would suggest at least double cost, perhaps as much as triple cost.

You could possibly lock the upgrades behind research. Maybe the aliens are using Planck Generator or Megafluxer technology to make things bigger on the inside and we can steal the tech to use in our own bases. Or maybe it doesn't require research. Maybe it's just money: titanium-alloy composite structure can support the same amount of dirt as concrete-rebar structure, albeit in less space. Sometimes throwing money at the problem really does lead to marvelous solutions. Add a bit of lore into the UFOPedia and silence the outcries of nerds like me.

Speaking of the UFOPedia, you don't yet have any UFOPedia entries for the larger facilities. You could add just one article explaining that every facility has a larger version and why, or you could put in one article for every larger version, top give a bit more detail on each specific case. The UFOPedia entries are the least important part overall, but I feel it's the place where you really get to express your creativity and explain the rationale behind your decisions.

- - - - -

Last thing: about the authors -- you're the only author of the mod. ohartstein and I may have provided you some code to work with, but you put it together into a mod. You should definitely list yourself first in the author list, and probably only you. You can give us special thanks in the metadata file if you like. =)

You are absolutely right!

I think next step i incrase the prices (x3 its good) and maybe the build time (+75% i think)

And i testing the resarch (maybe all upgrade give different reserch tech. Any idea which upgrade with which research tech?)

And i create UFOpedia info (its maybe hard for me, because my english not the best, but i try)

And i check the meta file for special thanks :)

Thanx!

Offline Biggieboy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 02:35:21 pm »

I have new version!

* Price and time changed:
- All upgraded building price:  x1,5 changed to x3
- All upgraded building build time: x1,5 changed to x1,75

* UFOpaedia added! (i use the original infos, just changed the capacity numbers)

* Research needed:
- Upgraded Living Quarters requies: Alien Habitat
- Upgraded General Stores requies: Ufo Component
- Upgraded Workshop requies: : Sectoid Engineer
- Upgraded Laboratory requies: : Floater Leader
- Upgraded Psionic Labortatory Requies: Ethereal Commander

* meta file updated

Please test it (research, build, ufopaedia) and give me some feedback!
Or have new idea just tell me :)

Thank you!

"You don't have refund values set for the upgraded facilities, and the basic facility refund value is set to 100%. This means that if you dismantle a basic facility, you will get all of your money back. If you dismantle an upgraded facility, you won't get any money back."

Yes, this is correct but this how can i do, the upgrade its correct price. Can i add refund price for the upgraded buildings too?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 02:39:10 pm by Biggieboy »

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 03:48:42 pm »
Liking the look of this mod, just a suggestion-could you combine it with this mod(assuming that's ok with the author-see metadata file). Also I was looking at the rul file and saw the requirement for the general stores upgrade but I'm unsure about what the requires is.

Spoiler:
  - type: STR_GENERAL_STORES_UPGRADE
    requires:
      - STR_UFO_COMPONENT
    spriteShape: 1
    spriteFacility: 24
    buildCost: 450000
    buildTime: 17
    monthlyCost: 7500
    storage: 75
    mapName: XBASE_07
    buildOverFacilities:
      - STR_GENERAL_STORES

Offline Biggieboy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 03:59:09 pm »
Liking the look of this mod, just a suggestion-could you combine it with this mod(assuming that's ok with the author-see metadata file). Also I was looking at the rul file and saw the requirement for the general stores upgrade but I'm unsure about what the requires is.

Spoiler:
  - type: STR_GENERAL_STORES_UPGRADE
    requires:
      - STR_UFO_COMPONENT
    spriteShape: 1
    spriteFacility: 24
    buildCost: 450000
    buildTime: 17
    monthlyCost: 7500
    storage: 75
    mapName: XBASE_07
    buildOverFacilities:
      - STR_GENERAL_STORES

I use this mod too, so i can try it :)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 04:06:23 pm »
Unless you want to make a mod compilation (e.g. like FMP)... it is better to keep individual mods separate.
That way people can choose what they enable and what not.

Offline Biggieboy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 04:44:21 pm »
Unless you want to make a mod compilation (e.g. like FMP)... it is better to keep individual mods separate.
That way people can choose what they enable and what not.

I think its not bad idea. I can add it, and give research and upgrade too.

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 05:42:10 pm »
If you wanted to, you could add support for another mod without adding the other mod. For instance, you could add the upgraded training facility but not the basic facility. It works best if the original mod's features are locked behind research, then you can lock your upgrades behind the same research plus more. That way it will only show the new features if the other mod is active.

Also I was looking at the rul file and saw the requirement for the general stores upgrade but I'm unsure about what the requires is.
It requires STR_UFO_COMPONENT which doesn't exist in the research list.

Biggieboy, you could either add a new research project called STR_UFO_COMPONENT or you could define specific UFO components which correspond to the upgrade. Here is the basic list of components:
STR_ALIEN_ALLOYS
STR_ELERIUM_115
STR_UFO_POWER_SOURCE
STR_UFO_NAVIGATION

There are other minor components as well, such as STR_ALIEN_FOOD.

Offline Biggieboy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 07:03:10 pm »
If you wanted to, you could add support for another mod without adding the other mod. For instance, you could add the upgraded training facility but not the basic facility. It works best if the original mod's features are locked behind research, then you can lock your upgrades behind the same research plus more. That way it will only show the new features if the other mod is active.

It requires STR_UFO_COMPONENT which doesn't exist in the research list.

Biggieboy, you could either add a new research project called STR_UFO_COMPONENT or you could define specific UFO components which correspond to the upgrade. Here is the basic list of components:
STR_ALIEN_ALLOYS
STR_ELERIUM_115
STR_UFO_POWER_SOURCE
STR_UFO_NAVIGATION

There are other minor components as well, such as STR_ALIEN_FOOD.

Okey guys, im done :)

Here is the infos:

Version 1.7 (test)

*Training Room and Upgraded Training Room added
- Training Room capacity reduced 10
- Upgraded Training Room capacity 15
- Both need reseach!

* Price and building time:
- All upgraded building price: x3
- All upgraded building build time: x1,75

* UFOpaedia added! Training Room too! (i use the original infos, just changed the capacity numbers)

* Research
- Upgraded Living Quarters requies: Alien Surgery
- Upgraded General Stores requies: Alien Food
- Upgraded Workshop requies: Sectoid Engineer
- Upgraded Laboratory requies: Floater Leader
- Upgraded Psionic Labortatory requies: Ethereal Commander
- Training Room requies: Examination room
- Upgraded Training Room requies: Muton Engineer

* meta file updated

Please test it guys!

Thank you!

« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 07:06:44 pm by Biggieboy »

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 02:09:37 am »
Nice! Looking good.

Yes, this is correct but this how can i do, the upgrade its correct price. Can i add refund price for the upgraded buildings too?

Yes, you can add a refund price on any and all facilities. It will apply either when dismantling the facility or when upgrading it.

Offline Biggieboy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 02:32:01 am »
Nice! Looking good.

Yes, you can add a refund price on any and all facilities. It will apply either when dismantling the facility or when upgrading it.

How can i do, only refund, when upgrade, but no refund when sell it?

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 04:58:46 am »
There isn't a way. Sorry :/

Offline Biggieboy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2018, 01:58:28 pm »

Damn.. so what you think, mod its done?

Offline Biggieboy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2018, 06:06:52 pm »

So i found 2 bugs:

- When i start new game and build new base, the game its quit. Maybe i found the problem:

I removed this code, and its work, but i dont understand why need this, or how its work
Spoiler:
missionScripts:
  - type: gameStart
    missionWeights:
      0:
        STR_ALIEN_RETALIATION: 100
    lastMonth: 0
    targetBaseOdds: 100
    raceWeights:
      0:
        STR_SECTOID: 100
    startDelay: 120

- When i start new game (and running) i see all upgraded buildings info in UFOpeadia. But i think its not good, because need research first. How can i fix this?

Thank you!