aliens

Author Topic: Custom palette for items - I really need advice :((  (Read 5318 times)

Offline Amiga

• Colonel
  • Amiga4ever....
    • View Profile
    • White Wolf Untold Story PL (my rpg game based on Witcher saga)
Custom palette for items - I really need advice :((
« on: March 13, 2018, 11:36:46 am »
Thanks to you guys I know how to use proper colors/better for UFOPEDIA wchich is freaking amazing....I know how to create own base crafts/ sprites but I'm still struggling with items / weapons colour :((
Can anybody write good tutorial how to set colours from lets say custom image to match original image palette but fully compatibille with game?
AT the moment I have one palette and all weapon using the same colours :(( It's the last piece of my puzzle to sort out...
I'm using InfranView, Gimp and PS CS4
I'm using OXCE+

.. the game doesn't care what color you put in your palette... when the images are loaded, your palettes are ripped off from the images, discarded and replaced by the palettes that the game wants. The GIF transparency is more or less the only exception... but it is definitely not a feature, it is a side-effect, and should not be used.

- but I can't make it work....
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 11:50:05 am by Amiga »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Custom palette for items - I really need advice :((
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 11:54:15 am »
Upload the image which doesn't work and I will tell you what is wrong with it; and fix it.

Offline Amiga

• Colonel
  • Amiga4ever....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 12:12:35 pm »
So my steps.
1. I'm taking some .png file from internet
2. Decreasing colours in InfranViw to 8 bit/ 255
3. Opening in PS CS4. Choosing index0 color to make background transparent...
4. Checking..colors messed up:(

I'm away from home now so  I can't send img

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 12:17:56 pm »
Since you are using PS, just take an image of the same type (for example a bigob) which you know works correctly (perhaps from another mod). Go to the palette and save it as a file. Then open the image you made, convert it to RGB and then back to indexed colour, at which point load the palette file.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 12:24:28 pm »
2. Decreasing colours in InfranViw to 8 bit/ 255

Decreasing color depth is not enough.

As I said before, the game will throw away your palette and replace it with its internal palette... so using a custom palette makes no sense. You need to use the same palette that the game is using.

Offline Amiga

• Colonel
  • Amiga4ever....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 12:55:15 pm »
Decreasing color depth is not enough.

As I said before, the game will throw away your palette and replace it with its internal palette... so using a custom palette makes no sense. You need to use the same palette that the game is using.

That's why I'm confusing at this step. How can I keep image original colour and using internal game palette in the same time?

Offline Amiga

• Colonel
  • Amiga4ever....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 12:56:58 pm »
Since you are using PS, just take an image of the same type (for example a bigob) which you know works correctly (perhaps from another mod). Go to the palette and save it as a file. Then open the image you made, convert it to RGB and then back to indexed colour, at which point load the palette file.

I will try this step at home tonight...but my palette from working image is really limited to few shades of colours. Using this palette replacing my new image colours completely for different one

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 01:04:09 pm »
I will try this step at home tonight...but my palette from working image is really limited to few shades of colours. Using this palette replacing my new image colours completely for different one

Attached are the colors you have available... it was enough for everyone so far, I'm sure you can do nice images with these colors.

Offline Amiga

• Colonel
  • Amiga4ever....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 01:47:30 pm »
Attached are the colors you have available... it was enough for everyone so far, I'm sure you can do nice images with these colors.

Thank you  ;D  I'm sure this i completely enough for me! I will definitely try it today.
Oh i thought it's .pal file...anybody has exported palette with those colours? Or I need to add them manually using color picker :)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 01:54:47 pm by Amiga »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 02:05:26 pm »
attached are all 6 of them

you can use either battlescape.pal or battlepedia.pal... they differ only in the last 16 colors (which you should NOT use).