Author Topic: [TC][OXCE][I.D.T.] Terminator: Tech-Comm - Alpha  (Read 139655 times)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: [TC][OXCE+] Terminator: Tech-Comm - updated to version 0.28
« Reply #135 on: March 17, 2018, 06:43:44 am »
Just a quick wrap up of the background story so far, taken from the intro and Intelpedia articles:

INTRO

JULY 7TH, 1997 - SKYNET ACTIVATED AT CHEYENNE MOUNTAIN.  STRATEGIC DEFENSE A.I. TAKES COMMAND OF ALL U.S. MILITARY NETWORKS AND STRATEGIC ASSETS.
JULY 9TH, 1997 - SKYNET BECOMES SELF-AWARE AND DECIDES TO TERMINATE ALL HUMANS. A.I. LAUNCHES GLOBAL NUCLEAR ATTACK AGAINST RUSSIA WHO FIRES ITS OWN MISSILES IN RESPONSE.
HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS DIE IN THE ATOMIC EXCHANGE AND IN THE NUCLEAR WINTER THAT FOLLOWS.  SURVIVORS CALL IT 'JUDGMENT DAY'.
STRIFE, HUNGER, WARFARE AND DISEASE FOLLOWED, FURTHER DECIMATING THE SURVIVORS. CIVILIZATION DESCENDED INTO TRIBALISM AS NATIONS DISSOLVED AND GROUPS AND INDIVIDUALS FOUGHT FOR THE REMAINING RESOURCES.
WHILE IN THE SHADOWS, SKYNET WATCHED AND PREPARED ITS NEXT STEPS.  USING THE STILL INTACT RESOURCES UNDER ITS CONTROL, SKYNET DEVELOPED ARMIES OF AERIAL HUNTER-KILLERS AND GROUND TERMINATORS TO WIPE-OUT HUMANITY FROM THE FACE OF EARTH.
AS SKYNET'S INTENTIONS BECOME CLEAR, THE REMAINING HUMANS ORGANIZED A WORLDWIDE RESISTANCE AGAINST SKYNET TO DEFEND AGAINST MACHINE ATTACKS.

Tech-Comm
"Tech-comm units were initially deployed by the resistance groups as a way to gather intel from the machines'  communications and how to use their own technology to defeat Skynet.  After Cheyenne Mountain, the resistance leaders were painful aware of the need to centralize tech-comm efforts to neutralize the Skynet's strategic advantage. Tech-comm units are usually deployed to recover any technology and communications useful to the resistance, usually while supporting other human fighters in the field.
The need for a centralized Tech-Comm effort was made clear as a result of the battle of Cheyenne Mountain in 2025. Hoping to break the strategic stalemate, the resistance leaders devised a plan to strike at Skynet's command center and eliminate its core to neutralize the A.I. But Skynet had long planned against such a move and had moved its core to a secret location, while using the Cheyenne Mountain complex to lure the resistance forces into a trap. While the battle ended as a tactical victory due to the heroism displayed by several units, it allowed Skynet to retake the strategic advantage because the human and material losses suffered were irreplaceable for the resistance.
Recognizing the intelligence failures that led to the Cheyenne Mountain debacle, the resistance leaders decided to combine their tech-comm efforts into creating an elite unit charged with countering the machines' plans and defeating Skynet."

Graveyard Airforce
"After Judgment Day, the great airforces of the world powers were lost, either during the initial nuclear exchanges or in the subsequent machine attacks that disabled the remaining military forces and allowed Skynet to gain air superiority throughout the world.
Once the Resistance came together, the destruction of nearly all industry and infrastructure forced its technicians to scavenge the landscape looking for the aircraft that had barely survived: retired models, training/civilian planes and experimental prototypes.  Such a graveyard airforce would be dismissed by the now dead pre-Judgment Day generals, but under the Resistance it has become a powerful tool against Skynet's aerial Hunter-Killers, and a graveyard for many of its pilots.
While the Resistance has been able to build individual aircraft on its workshops based on recovered blueprints, it is impossible for them to properly support Tech-Comm's needs on this matter - to get additional planes we'll have to resort to the scrapyard, as always."

And this is what I've written so far about the background story. The timeline is set around the first movie, before the first terminator is sent. So far I haven't mentioned John Connor at all because of my plans on how the story will progress.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 07:16:20 am by Hobbes »

Offline efrenespartano

• Commander
  • I know a lot about the law and other lawyerings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 17, 2018, 05:02:03 pm »

And this is what I've written so far about the background story. The timeline is set around the first movie, before the first terminator is sent. So far I haven't mentioned John Connor at all because of my plans on how the story will progress.

Great! Now I have some idea to how is going the story. If you have any other idea, please let me know.

I'm a bit curious. What happen in Cheyenne Mountain? A large assault? A Resistance counterattack? When? Is it a turning point?

I was thinking about using some elements from Terminator Salvation (eg: Connor being a commander at this moment instead the all-mighty savior of the humanity, the radio signal to shut-down Skynet, the Submarine HQ of the Resistance leaders, Connor encouraging other Resistance fighters by radio, etc). But only elements, because the Salvation timeline is set from 2003, not from 1997.

Aslo, about the sector descriptions, I was thinking that the nuclear-capable countries were more punished than the others, meaning that Western Europe, USA, India, Pakistan, China, etc, will have more Skynet presence than Latin America, Africa, central Asia. This applies too with military power, as Skynet will have more troops on powerful countries. Skynet will focus more on USA than in Mexico. This, of course, means that will be easier to start in those countries.

Do you have any map of the Skynet-controlled areas of the world? So I can write the actual locations for the Sector intel.

Enviado desde mi Blade A510 mediante Tapatalk

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 17, 2018, 06:10:27 pm »
I'm a bit curious. What happen in Cheyenne Mountain? A large assault? A Resistance counterattack? When? Is it a turning point?

The resistance gathered its best forces to assault the complex and destroy the Skynet core. Skynet detected the preparations and set a trap. When the resistance broke through the perimeter, the machines deployed a large force and counterattacked, catching the resistance forces between a hammer and an anvil. The resistance was able to hold off the counterattackers until Cheyenne Mountain was secured but at a great cost. It is a bit similar to the radio signal to shutdown Skynet on T4.

I was thinking about using some elements from Terminator Salvation (eg: Connor being a commander at this moment instead the all-mighty savior of the humanity, the radio signal to shut-down Skynet, the Submarine HQ of the Resistance leaders, Connor encouraging other Resistance fighters by radio, etc). But only elements, because the Salvation timeline is set from 2003, not from 1997.

Spoiler:
I'm not thinking of adding John Connor to the ingame text to keep his role open for the player to decide: if he will be available for combat missions or if the player is assuming his role as commander. And this is also related to my plans to the final mission: after the Resistance discovers the new location of the Skynet Core and successfully assaults it, they'll learn that Skynet developed time travel as a failsafe measure and will have to recover the time travel device. Once the device is secured, then it can be used to send a single unarmed soldier to 1984 to defeat the first terminator, which was sent by Skynet to change the past and assure its victory. This 1 vs 1 fight will be the final mission.

The logic here is more or less described on this site:
* At the beginning there was a rebel leader who defeats Skynet
* Skynet sends a terminator to the past to kill the mother and prevent the leader from being born
* The rebel leader sends a random soldier back in time to protect his mother, who has not yet met the original father of his child
* The soldier becomes the leader's father

On T1 it is implied (through Connor giving Reese his mother's picture) that Connor already knows that Reese will be his father. Here it is implied that Connor, or the resistance leader involved, is not aware that the soldier will become his father (and by sending him, it will start the series of events of the terminator movies.

Following this logic, the leader in 2027 does not grow up with the knowledge about Skynet and Judgment Day, so he does not have yet the messianic aura of John Connor, who seems to know everything about the machines. He/she is a born leader and fighter and will be responsible for the final defeat of the machines but he/she doesn't play the role yet that Connor did.

Aslo, about the sector descriptions, I was thinking that the nuclear-capable countries were more punished than the others, meaning that Western Europe, USA, India, Pakistan, China, etc, will have more Skynet presence than Latin America, Africa, central Asia. This applies too with military power, as Skynet will have more troops on powerful countries. Skynet will focus more on USA than in Mexico. This, of course, means that will be easier to start in those countries.

It's fair to assume that those areas would be hit hardest during Judgment Day but also remember that 30 years have passed since 1997 and for gameplay proposes Skynet will divide its activities more or less evenly throughout the rest of the world (with the exception of Antarctica and the Arctic, which will be relatively 'safe' for resistance bases, but there won't be much missions available on those areas).

At a certain point in design I considered placing the Skynet Core on North America right on Cheyenne Mountain and fortify the region so that the player would need to get some proper defense tech before placing any bases there (they'd be destroyed in a matter of days/weeks in retaliation attacks). I dropped this idea because it made everything more predictable and not knowing the location of the Core will be a challenge when placing bases.

Do you have any map of the Skynet-controlled areas of the world? So I can write the actual locations for the Sector intel.

Not yet for all regions, this is what I've been working in the past week, to finish the regional settings that determine where the Skynet bases can be placed. But the specific intel you get from each sector will vary and will be determined randomly for each game. Each report will be

Generic sector description (common to all reports for each sector)
"The US was heavily devastated during Judgment Day and afterwards by Skynet's expansion during the first decade of the war.  The battle at Cheyenne Mountain severely damaged the machines' presence in this sector but it also came at great cost for the resistance groups operating in the area."

Specific intel (will vary each game)
*Skynet st*ll retain* a p**sence****the Gulf states and Central Texas **COMM LOST**
*Resistance fighters report HK activity near Los Angeles
*Etc.

What I'd be interested at this point would be for you to write just a paragraph for each generic sector descriptions. And then, when I finish the regions will be a matter of using that template to create the different reports for each sector.

Offline efrenespartano

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 17, 2018, 09:19:10 pm »

The resistance gathered its best forces to assault the complex and destroy the Skynet core. Skynet detected the preparations and set a trap. When the resistance broke through the perimeter, the machines deployed a large force and counterattacked, catching the resistance forces between a hammer and an anvil. The resistance was able to hold off the counterattackers until Cheyenne Mountain was secured but at a great cost. It is a bit similar to the radio signal to shutdown Skynet on T4.

Hey, that's a great idea! And sets a great backstory.

Spoiler:
I was about to suggest you to add a modified caucasic male soldier with the rank of colonel named "John Connor" who would appear in every name. But I like your idea way much. Gives a huge replay to the mod.

At a certain point in design I considered placing the Skynet Core on North America right on Cheyenne Mountain and fortify the region so that the player would need to get some proper defense tech before placing any bases there (they'd be destroyed in a matter of days/weeks in retaliation attacks). I dropped this idea because it made everything more predictable and not knowing the location of the Core will be a challenge when placing bases.

Well, as you say, the Resistance already have beaten Skynet in Cheyenne Mountains so it has sense that the new Core will be hidden in another place.

What I'd be interested at this point would be for you to write just a paragraph for each generic sector descriptions. And then, when I finish the regions will be a matter of using that template to create the different reports for each sector.

Yes, now I undestand what I need to do. I was a bit confused about what exactly you want to write. But now I know. :D

Offline efrenespartano

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 18, 2018, 08:31:31 am »
Better to ask permission first - likely his answer will be that the images are copyrighted to the Terminator franchise owners since they paid for his work.

Hobbes, you were right again.  :'(

I contact him, he's such a nice guy. But he cannot allow me to use his work. :(

Hello and thank you for the compliments. Unfortunately, all work I did for “Terminator Salvation” and “Terminator Genysis” are copyrighted by the movie studios that produced those films. I wish I could give you permission to use the actual artwork, but I’m afraid it would be a violation of their copyrights. You are welcome to use it a reference for your own work, but any reproduction or exhibition of the work would need approval of the production company. My apologies.

How I can contact the production? :(

Well, I have to look somewhere else.  :'(

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 18, 2018, 01:16:03 pm »
How I can contact the production? :(

OK, do not try to contact them or you'll risk them shutting us down :)

Offline efrenespartano

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 18, 2018, 01:33:35 pm »
OK, do not try to contact them or you'll risk them shutting us down :)

Don't get alarmed, I wasn't want to try it anyway.  ;D I found a lot of scenes from the movies and some fan art, so isn't a problem.

By the way, I have some advance in the sector generic reports, please check them and tell me what do you think. :)

Spoiler:
Sector Greenland

Being such an inhospitable place, there is little information of armed groups operating in Greenland. The biggest find yet was finding aircraft and operational weapons at the almost intact Thule Air Base, being of help for the global effort of the Resistance.

Sector Canada

Canada, because of its closeness to USA, was also badly hit on Judgment Day. The victory at Cheyenne Mountain also helped the Canadian resistance by smoothing Skynet's attacks. They are concentrated primarily in Edmonton and the outskirts of Vancouver.

Sector USA

Sector Mexico

Mexico and Central America were almost ignored during the Judgment Day, but with Skynet's general offensive at the beginning of the war, a nuclear bomb destroyed Mexico City, due being such a populated city. Mexican guerrilla groups fight deep in the Central American jungle.

Sector Brazil

As happened with Mexico City, Rio de Janeiro was erased from the map due to its large number of inhabitants. Since the beginning of the war, the Brazilian resistance fights in the Amazon, which has caused Skynet to constantly defoliate complete hectares to eliminate their refuges.

Sector South America

Buenos Aires was another city destroyed by the Skynet bombs. The fighters of the Resistance of Chile, Argentina and Uruguay are scattered between the Atacama Desert and the almost dry Río de la Plata. Recently there was an offensive against a Skynet base with some of the last tanks in the world, in Patagonia. The result is unknown.

Sector Western Europe

Like many nuclear capable countries, the countries of Western Europe suffered hard on the Judgement Day. Currently, the main groups of the Resistance operate in the Alps, in the Black Forest in Germany and in the north of Great Britain, doing guerrilla in areas where Skynet can't attack with their HK-Tanks.

Sector Eastern Europe

Being one of the first targets of the Skynet attack, Russia and its neighboring countries were practically in ruins on J-Day. We have reports of scattered Resistance groups fighting in Karelian forests, near Moscow and recently secured an oil reserve in the Caucasus.

Sector Middle East

By nuking Iran's nuclear reserves at the beginning of the war, the Middle East is almost devoid of life. There are reports of rebel groups operating in the Iraqi deserts and in the Sinai.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 01:40:23 pm by efrenespartano »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 18, 2018, 02:53:33 pm »
Spoiler:
Sector Greenland

Being such an inhospitable place, there is little information of armed groups operating in Greenland. The biggest find yet was finding aircraft and operational weapons at the almost intact Thule Air Base, being of help for the global effort of the Resistance.

Sector Canada

Canada, because of its closeness to USA, was also badly hit on Judgment Day. The victory at Cheyenne Mountain also helped the Canadian resistance by smoothing Skynet's attacks. They are concentrated primarily in Edmonton and the outskirts of Vancouver.

Sector USA

Sector Mexico

Mexico and Central America were almost ignored during the Judgment Day, but with Skynet's general offensive at the beginning of the war, a nuclear bomb destroyed Mexico City, due being such a populated city. Mexican guerrilla groups fight deep in the Central American jungle.

Sector Brazil

As happened with Mexico City, Rio de Janeiro was erased from the map due to its large number of inhabitants. Since the beginning of the war, the Brazilian resistance fights in the Amazon, which has caused Skynet to constantly defoliate complete hectares to eliminate their refuges.

Sector South America

Buenos Aires was another city destroyed by the Skynet bombs. The fighters of the Resistance of Chile, Argentina and Uruguay are scattered between the Atacama Desert and the almost dry Río de la Plata. Recently there was an offensive against a Skynet base with some of the last tanks in the world, in Patagonia. The result is unknown.

Sector Western Europe

Like many nuclear capable countries, the countries of Western Europe suffered hard on the Judgement Day. Currently, the main groups of the Resistance operate in the Alps, in the Black Forest in Germany and in the north of Great Britain, doing guerrilla in areas where Skynet can't attack with their HK-Tanks.

Sector Eastern Europe

Being one of the first targets of the Skynet attack, Russia and its neighboring countries were practically in ruins on J-Day. We have reports of scattered Resistance groups fighting in Karelian forests, near Moscow and recently secured an oil reserve in the Caucasus.

Sector Middle East

By nuking Iran's nuclear reserves at the beginning of the war, the Middle East is almost devoid of life. There are reports of rebel groups operating in the Iraqi deserts and in the Sinai.

I like them! :)

niculinux

« Reply #144 on: March 18, 2018, 03:34:57 pm »
Hello there!! jus downloaded 0.28 with lates meridian's 3.10a OXEC+ on win 10, fire up the whle thin, just expanding a build base in central US and all of a sudden game segfaults  :'( :'(

log is somewhat lachonic:

Code: [Select]
[FATAL] A fatal error has occurred: Segmentation fault. This usually indicates something missing in a mod.
[FATAL] Unfortunately, no stack trace information is available

edit: buildings that caused the crash  were the bigger ones (4x4), aside those aalrady present when base was creted.

edit 2: the frag grenade in the inventory is a big taller, realy nice job on hese sprites! But actually in real world the m4 is more powerful than the ak because of the bigger caliber of the former; and has less round per clips (20) in comparison to the russian AR(30) so i think this might carryed in the game
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 04:27:42 pm by niculinux »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 18, 2018, 04:30:52 pm »
Hello there!! jus downloaded 0.28 with lates meridian's 3.10a OXEC+ on win 10, fire up the whle thin, just expanding a build base in central US and all of a sudden game segfaults  :'( :'

edit: buildings that caused the crash  were the bigger ones (4x4), aside those aalrady present when base was creted.

Yeah, that bug has been already fixed but I'm still finishing the Geoscape until I release the next version. Just don't build any 2x2 buildings and you'll be fine.

But actually the m4 is more powerful than the ak because of the bigger caliber of the former.

AK-47 caliber is 7.62, M4 caliber is 5.56

niculinux

« Reply #146 on: March 18, 2018, 04:33:37 pm »
AK-47 caliber is 7.62, M4 caliber is 5.56

Probably AK-74 introduced that, early AK-47 had 5.45mm; ok better check wikipedia then! :-[ :P

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 18, 2018, 04:37:26 pm »
Probably AK-74 introduced that, early AK-47 had 5.45mm; ok better check wikipedia then! :-[ :P

AK-47 always had 7.62mm, AK-74 switched to 5.45

Offline efrenespartano

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 18, 2018, 06:20:13 pm »

I like them! :)

Great! I'll finish the rest tonight. Slow and steady, I'm about to finish the inticon/basebits of the craft weapons too. :)

I've been busy, that's why I work the most on weekends. :/

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 19, 2018, 02:46:19 am »
Hi Master,

I found some links

https://www.thegamer.com/the-8-best-and-7-worst-terminator-games/

http://game-oldies.com/play-online/terminator-3-rise-of-the-machines-nintendo-game-boy-advance

I am waiting to play an other beautiful mod 8)

Thank you, nice to see all the existing terminator games

It will take a while until we get to beta but we'll get there :)

Great! I'll finish the rest tonight. Slow and steady, I'm about to finish the inticon/basebits of the craft weapons too. :)

I've been busy, that's why I work the most on weekends. :/

No problemo. I've been busy myself with real life lately :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 03:30:53 am by Hobbes »