aliens

Author Topic: Area 51 and OXCE+ ( macOS only? )  (Read 1758 times)

Offline Golden Sectivin

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Area 51 and OXCE+ ( macOS only? )
« on: February 01, 2018, 11:13:00 pm »
Love your mod! 

However, some of the sprites are horribly corrupted.  As best I can tell, they are proper pngs/gifs, that appear fine in Preview in the OS. But in-game, they show up as jagged scrambles.  Not all of them, but military-base soldiers, or easiest to check is the smoke grenade in inventory/on-hand.

I'm using a manually compiled OXCE+ on macOS.  I confirmed a manually built standard OpenXCOM build is fine, displays sprites fine.

Any ideas?

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
Re: Area 51 and OXCE+ ( macOS only? )
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 11:33:14 pm »
<snip>
I'm using a manually compiled OXCE+ on macOS.

That's the issue. MacOS doesn't play well with the libraries that load .gif files into the game.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 11:53:43 pm »
That's the issue. MacOS doesn't play well with the libraries that load .gif files into the game.

A permanent solution would be to convert all the .gifs to .pngs, although there are hundreds of them, and then simply update the relevant ruleset file.

Does anyone know of a tool that allows mass conversion of files to a different format?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 11:57:36 pm by Hobbes »

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 12:05:45 am »
Does anyone know of a tool that allows mass conversion of files to a different format?

Yes, but either it doesn't respect palettes of indexed images (imagemagick) or is GIMP.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • Aaand we're back!
    • View Profile
    • My Wiki
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 01:21:25 am »
Love your mod! 

However, some of the sprites are horribly corrupted.  As best I can tell, they are proper pngs/gifs, that appear fine in Preview in the OS. But in-game, they show up as jagged scrambles.  Not all of them, but military-base soldiers, or easiest to check is the smoke grenade in inventory/on-hand.

I'm using a manually compiled OXCE+ on macOS.  I confirmed a manually built standard OpenXCOM build is fine, displays sprites fine.

Any ideas?

If it works fine on standard OpenXCOM (MacOS) build, then it will be a non-standard palette issue... OXCE/OXCE+ are even more restrictive on using correct palettes than vanilla.

I'll have a look tomorrow.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 01:23:55 am by Meridian »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • Aaand we're back!
    • View Profile
    • My Wiki
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 10:29:53 am »
So, I tried it, but I don't see anything "horribly corrupted" or "garbled".

Only the GIF images are not loaded properly and displayed as pure black, see screenshot... but that's a known issue.
In the right hand I have a Smoke Grenade, in the left hand I have a Light Machine Gun.

Can you please attach your screenshots?
Both from OXCE+ (garbled) and from Nightly (supposedly OK?)... thank you.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 10:31:47 am by Meridian »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • Aaand we're back!
    • View Profile
    • My Wiki
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 11:07:29 am »
A permanent solution would be to convert all the .gifs to .pngs, although there are hundreds of them, and then simply update the relevant ruleset file.

Done: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4046.msg96534.html#msg96534

Tools: irfanview for some manual preparation before conversion... and adobe photoshop cs2 for mass conversion
Palettes: https://github.com/MeridianOXC/OpenXcom/tree/oxce3.5-plus-proto/bin/common/Palettes/UFO-ACT-SAFE