Author Topic: UFO's not landing!  (Read 1316 times)

Offline Biggieboy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
UFO's not landing!
« on: April 16, 2018, 10:28:14 pm »
I playing now with Area 51 mod (with openxcom extended) Im in oktober now, and just 3-4 UFOs landed (except missions, terrors). But now more than 110 UFO's attack. I try everything, just following, but not landing just disapered.

Before i play just normal openxcom, without mod, and this tactics work, just following the UFO, and its landing more than 90%. This version why not linding?

Thank you!

(sorry my english!)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: UFO's not landing!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 10:38:56 pm »
Before i play just normal openxcom, without mod, and this tactics work, just following the UFO, and its landing more than 90%. This version why not linding?

The UFOs will still land on the vanilla missions, but now the number of UFOs that appear for each alien mission is variable, so in an Alien Research mission you can have 3, 2 or 1 UFOs that land, instead of always having 3 UFOs that land on the mission.

Also, there is a new type of UFO that never lands, precisely to require the player to shoot it down if the player needs to assault it.

Offline Biggieboy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 10:42:13 pm »
The UFOs will still land on the vanilla missions, but now the number of UFOs that appear for each alien mission is variable, so in an Alien Research mission you can have 3, 2 or 1 UFOs that land, instead of always having 3 UFOs that land on the mission.

Also, there is a new type of UFO that never lands, precisely to require the player to shoot it down if the player needs to assault it.

Okey, but 100 not landing, 5-6 landing only its not good ratio..

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 11:44:22 pm »
Okey, but 100 not landing, 5-6 landing only its not good ratio..

It was a design decision to reduce and diversify the number of UFOs that appear on the vanilla missions for several reasons:
* To make landings more rare and air shoot-downs more important
* To reduce the loot gathered from UFO missions, specially Elerium, with the result of making plasma tech more expensive to field and make improved gauss/laser more attractive to player

And there's also a new alien mission that triggers half of the Council missions (the other half doesn't involve any UFOs at all) and its 3 UFOs never land except to attack. That mission can be spawned a maximum of 18 times during the first year, so you likely got unlikely and had a lot of those missions.

I can set all the Council missions to be spawned without use of flying UFOs to balance that ratio but then the player has no chance of being able to shoot down part of those missions to prevent them from taking place (and avoid having to choose between the negative score of the site disappearing or doing a hard mission)

Or I'm open to any other suggestions :)